Hedi's Berlin At Mo.Ma

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
great news for all planing to visit NY's Mo.Ma during the next months.. :flower:

slimane_current.jpg

Hedi Slimane: Berlin

March 11 – May 31, 2004

(Long Island City, NY, March, 2004) – P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center presents a large-scale project by Hedi Slimane. He was invited by P.S.1 Chief Curator Klaus Biesenbach to be in the artist residency program at Kunst-Werke Studio Program in Berlin from 2000-2002. At the heart of the project are photographs Slimane took of his environment, people, and various places he visited while living in Berlin.
These photographs were first made into a book, published by Karl Lagerfeld in his “EDITION 7L,” a series of books published with Steidl publications. This is the second book in Slimane’s career. The first, “Intermission,” was published in 2002 by the Palazzo Pitti in Florence and the Palais de Tokyo in Paris.

For KW in Berlin, Slimane developed Berlin, an installation composed of hundreds of digitized photographs projected onto a large cube in the gallery space. For P.S.1 Berlin is installed in the Kunsthalle space on the second floor. The cube, which measures 11 feet tall by 15 feet wide, divides the space into four distinct viewing quadrants allowing the visitor to discretely experience each wall of projections.

Of his time in Berlin, Slimane notes, “Berlin is an open space for me – I don’t feel like I need to make any effort when I am here. I take the overnight train from Paris, and I arrive really early in the morning, when the city is only slightly awake and silent. The train going from west to east creates a sort of urban intimacy […]

“I don’t know many people in Berlin. In addition, I don’t speak German. So my rapport with the city is quite easy and immediate, without any particular expectations […] It offers a totally different perspective from Paris. Berlin is constantly being reinvented.”
(excerpted from the Summer 2002 issue of Index Magazine, interview with Klaus Biesenbach)

Born in 1968 in Paris, Hedi Slimane studied Art History at the Ecole du Louvre, and was also educated as a tailor. After working with Yves Saint Laurent, he became the chief designer for men’s clothing for Christian Dior in 2000. In 2002 he was named the International Designer of the Year in New York.
Berlin is curated by P.S.1 Chief Curator Klaus Biesenbach and is made possible by support from The Cultural Services of the French Embassy.

Since 1999, P.S.1 has collaborated with Berlin’s Kunst-Werke in a continuing series of programs.

source : PS1 Mo.Ma

I love how he describes Berlin especially the first part about "urban intimacy"...sounds so romantic to me :flower:

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 14th, 2004 - 8:13 pm
I love how he describes Berlin especially the first part about "urban intimacy"...sounds so romantic to me :flower:
berlin really is like that - his description is lovely & true :flower:

Originally posted by tiffany+Mar 14th, 2004 - 7:55 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tiffany @ Mar 14th, 2004 - 7:55 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Mar 14th, 2004 - 8:13 pm
I love how he describes Berlin especially the first part about "urban intimacy"...sounds so romantic to me  :flower:
berlin really is like that - his description is lovely & true :flower: [/b][/quote]
So that's why I've been dreaming about that city lately! :innocent:

I would LOVE to go and see it... to bad im so far away. I own the book Berlin by Hedi and its awesome,.... is there additional photos being shown on the cube than those that were in the book?

Berlin sounds so appealing when Hedi describes it... as is everthing he designs

the exhibition/installation sems to be with the book photos :unsure:

thx for the info...i'll add it to the list of things to do... :P

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 15th, 2004 - 10:23 am
please do share if you visit :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 15th, 2004 - 2:23 am
But it's in Queens!!! That's no man's land! :unsure:

Originally posted by faust+Mar 15th, 2004 - 6:43 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faust @ Mar 15th, 2004 - 6:43 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Mar 15th, 2004 - 2:23 am
But it's in Queens!!! That's no man's land! :unsure: [/b][/quote]
i thought Queens is coming up as a new trendy area ? :unsure:

Originally posted by Lena+Mar 15th, 2004 - 11:03 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 15th, 2004 - 11:03 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by faust@Mar 15th, 2004 - 6:43 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
@Mar 15th, 2004 - 2:23 am

i thought Queens is coming up as a new trendy area ? :unsure: [/b][/quote]
why do you thinnk that lena, is it because moma's in queens?...don't believe the hype...queens is fine, but it hasn't really changed since i was born...it's not coming or going anywhere... :wink:

faust, i always make a pilgrimage to p.s. 1 about once a year...usually in the spring...it's cool cause they also have some outdoor space for sculpture and exhibits...have you been...you really should...you can take the baby...my parent's raised me going to stuff like that...it was great....especially when she gets a bit older... :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 14th, 2004 - 4:50 pm

Born in 1968 in Paris, Hedi Slimane studied Art History at the Ecole du Louvre, and was also educated as a tailor. After working with Yves Saint Laurent, he became the chief designer for men’s clothing for Christian Dior in 2000.
wow...i didn't know he was 36 yrs old...

Originally posted by softgrey+Mar 15th, 2004 - 11:08 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Mar 15th, 2004 - 11:08 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 15th, 2004 - 11:03 am
Originally posted by faust@Mar 15th, 2004 - 6:43 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
@Mar 15th, 2004 - 2:23 am

i thought Queens is coming up as a new trendy area ? :unsure:
why do you thinnk that lena, is it because moma's in queens?...don't believe the hype...queens is fine, but it hasn't really changed since i was born...it's not coming or going anywhere... :wink:

faust, i always make a pilgrimage to p.s. 1 about once a year...usually in the spring...it's cool cause they also have some outdoor space for sculpture and exhibits...have you been...you really should...you can take the baby...my parent's raised me going to stuff like that...it was great....especially when she gets a bit older... :flower: [/b][/quote]
no worries, she'll grow up one cultural, intelligent individual :heart:

Lena, as far as Queens, the real-estate developers are trying to hype it up, but I don't think it's working. Brooklyn has been enjoying the real gentrification, Williamsburg, DUMBO, Carroll Gardens, etc... MoMa will soon be back in the city.

I just might take a trip anyway (or maybe just look at the book :lol: )

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 15th, 2004 - 7:08 pm

well.. what do i know, thanks for making this clear for me soft :flower:

they are hyping it up...as faust says...so who knows, maybe someday...if rents and real estate keep going uin manhattan...more and more people will choose to live on the perimeter of manhatan island rather than actually on it...that's why williamsburg etc have finally 'come up'....but they talked about that for about ten yrs before it actually happened....so maybe queens will happen eventually too....never know.... :heart:

Originally posted by faust@Mar 15th, 2004 - 11:35 am

no worries, she'll grow up one cultural, intelligent individual :heart:
i have no doubt of that... :heart:

thanks for posting this - I will go.

I heard Hedi also has a journalism background...which I suppose is his storytelling coming through with photography and documenting life and places.

Originally posted by faust@Mar 15th, 2004 - 11:35 am

Lena, as far as Queens, the real-estate developers are trying to hype it up, but I don't think it's working. Brooklyn has been enjoying the real gentrification, Williamsburg, DUMBO, Carroll Gardens, etc... MoMa will soon be back in the city.

I just might take a trip anyway (or maybe just look at the book :lol: )
Hey faust- Moma will be back in Manahattan but , although PS1 is affiliated with Moma, it is not part of it and will not go back to Manhattan. :wink:

PS1 is very cool- I love that they do a lot of sound-art installations and its great in the summer as softgrey already mentioned - they have a swimming pool!!

My predictions are that Long Island City is going to be getter "bigger" or maybe "hipper" is the better term :wacko: It has the kind of thing going for it that W'burg and DUMBO did 10-15 y.o -space. The are lots of artists/musicians there and more moving because it is not, yet, too $$$ for the kind of space some need to work. I don't think it would ever be to the same degree as W'burg, however, because the commute to the city is not as easy.

I am going to PS1 as soon as it stops snowing!! :clap:

we need your view after visiting paprica :flower

ot: how weird to be snowing again in NY.. its almost the end of march, are we really going back to the ice age then :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->