Hedi's Days Numbered At Dior Homme?

big insider says hedi out (on to gucci) and victor and rolf in for dior homme

amor said:
it'll be much easier for him to start his signature line now, with such a stature he's achieved at DH, but i have to doubt his capability when it comes to womenswear. What kind of dresses will he design for a woman?

It's a controversy that's been going on for ages, if menswear designers are capable of doing womenswear... judging from what I have seen by myself, I rather see womenswear designers struggling wih menswear, opposed to the other way around. It's mostly the execution that makes the clothes appear ultimately boring and "flat", because the women's manufacturing technique is often far less sophisticated than high-end menswear (which often involves a lot hand tailoring/finishing)... On the contrary, I wouldn't mind him skipping on dresses, because I don't think that's what women are looking for in an Hedi Slimane brand - they will probably go mad for figure-hugging tailleurs and coats as well as dress pants and probably jeans (in case that skinny jeans are still a hot topic by then)... very much so a suit-heavy wardrobe as people like Helmut Lang, Jil Sander and even... Yves Saint Laurent showed it before.

Acid said:

Sean, you've got the best (and sometimes, wildest) of rumours in the whole of TFS to share... :D :flower:

^yes, indeed, but they are usually true.....:innocent:

somehow i can't imagine victor and rolf for dior homme.....?? sounds a bit too strange....

I wouldn't mine V&R cause I like them, but it would be a lot different from Hedi.

Hmmm...interesting news..

Must say,I do see Faust's point regarding Hedi going astray from his designing. Of late,all I hear and read about him is his outside endeavours and his partying. And I do think it's translated into the work...or lack thereof. It's been a bit stagnant at DH for some seasons now. It's really a bit too deja vu Dior to me....John Galliano has gone down the same path in the last few years,since starting,and he's often travelling in desperate searches of inspiration. Not to mention his over-hyped debaucherous antics. And he's lost that vision,of early on,imo. The ego seems to get in the way over there,too much for me.

Not sure what I think about V&R. Could be an interesting move but I think their menswear might be too simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acid said:

Interesting, if it's true. Definitely interesting.

if he knows whats goood for him he will keeep his asparagus butt right where he is.
for my money he isnt going anywhere. not YSL, not Gucci but right at Dior.
it would be unwise for him to leave and unwise for them to let him go. As Faust said, he should dissappear from everywhere else and focus exclusively on design, thats what made him. and that the only reason anything else that he does is relevant.
he will never have the kind of profile he has at Dior if he launched his own menswear line. what Dior and YSL did for him was offer him instant Prestige, and why the formula worked so well was because these two houses (and chanel) were the most respected in paris and they had no menswear identity.

i dont care what the insiders say, everyone knows it would be a big mistake to oust him and install Victor and Rolf, I wont be politically correct. they are nice guys but they are not great designers, at least nowhere near as good as he is.

I don't think Vickie & Rhoda are as showy as Hedi, their menswear designs don't make quite the same impact because of the slimness or the eye makeup or the reversed Lolita complex. But money talks, if he's got Gucci dropping bugs in his hear saying they'll drop some cash, he has to at least consider it. And they might be doing just that if the rumors of how they tried to woo M dot Jacobs are true... There's no reason in a world why a designer should sacrifice her or his firstborn to a house that bears someone else's name. Being loyal is great but only if you're 100% in your own corner first.

Bye, bye Heidi....

When I first
I saw the first Dior Homme Collection
by Heidi, I fell in Love
But then he has be making so boooring clothes
and maybe it reflects the comming seasons
Good Bye Heidi
Good bye black and grey clothes
welcome wonderful, colorful and new fabrics-clothes

Heidi never innovate nothing
he only leanrt to do smokings....

I was asking myself If John
(who has a so big Success in Dior)
was asked for it...
I only wait he had a Bye-Bye-Party
:boxer:

Of course it helped him to build up a remarkable reputation in this industry, having worked for both Saint Laurent and Dior. You simply cannot blame the man to have had luck, being at a certain time at a certain place in his career. Dont forget that others like Julian McDonald (being a sometime protegé of Karl Lagerfeld at Chanel) failed miserably re-vitalising a prestigeous Parisian couture house, he is pretty much DONE in Parisian circles - Hedi on the contrary has all the fondness and support from the old guard of Parisian couture on his side, by now I dont think he needs Dior to give his work the certain authority to pass through as being the top of the game.

Having said that, Hedi still had to prove himself in the industry designing clothing and I think we can pretty much agree that he definitely has proven to be capable of doing so. It would have been very easy for both Van Assche and Nicolas Andreas Taralis to claim that they played a big part designing for Hedi now that they are independants, but apparently both said very decidedly that all of the clothing and the "conceptual" part had been his work.

I think I already made it clear in other discussions that I did as well dislike some of the previous collections that Hedi put up on the catwalk, with the recent summer being an absolute miss in terms of direction in terms of style and direction.

As a last sidenote, I liked that Hedi put up an effort stretching his design aesthetic further than in fashion, doing photography, curating arts exhibitions or designing furniture. It doesnt matter if you like it or not, but considering fashion being such a reflection of zeitgeist, I find it appropriate that fashion designers are leaving their territory at times, applying their vision with other disciplines or opposing their work with others.

Acid said:

That would be very interesting but there is no way this wild rumour can be true. Viktor & Rolf are all about being independent as a label and I don't think they want to give up that freedom. However, they DO care about the money and prestige so why not? The main reason is that they don't even design the Viktor & Rolf menswear themselves. That is done by Erik Frenken. I even think they don't like designing mens clothes and they quite suck at it. And Hedi to Gucci? I don't think so. Gucci doesn't really care about the bad critics Frida got, they only care about sellings as many handbags as possible. They care about sales figures, not really about who is designing. Of course good reviews mean better sales figures. However, I don't think we can exclude the possibility of Hedi going to the Gucci group to start his own label.

i am sad..and at the same time i'm not

it would be awkward to see hedi leave DH..since DH and hedi are pretty much bond together in my mind
i wonder if hedi will have nightmares like tom ford did XD

but i am very glad to see he's doing his own label...and women's wear..oh cheers!..clothes in more female friendly sizes

zamb is right...it is a mistake to let anyone go really
but it's not only hedi that will have problems getting his own label into the spot spot light..pretty much most famous designers had trouble getting their label heard (ex. karl..poor guy)

i believe that hedi will succeed with his own label (men's wear a least)..since most people buy dior homme because of his design..not because it's dior
i dont see why people would suddenly not buy his design because it doesnt have "dior" on it

faust said:
Maybe. All I see is Hedi partying here, DJing there, hanging out in the back of the tour bus, going to misshapes, etc. I wonder when he gets time to design. If by brandbuilding you mean personabuilding - yea, he is doing a good job, but that's PR. He is becoming the new Tom Ford. I wish he'd get back to designing, because he is definitely good at it.

It's press, do you know how many of those NY scensters went out and bought Dior because Hedi came by for a visit one night? and then all the kids across the country that bought it so they could look like NY scenters? He doesn't travel anymore than any other big name designer, certainly no more than Karl....and I' sure Chanel and Fendi are paying him just fine.

I wouldn't mind Hedi leaving Dior but if Viktor and Rolf are his replacement then it means I can abandon any and all reverence I held for the house *ahem* company. I personally was hoping they'd let Galliano go and allow Hedi to take over womenswear and couture, nevermind that. This past collection was very strong and the pieces that had a more feminine customer in mind were even better.

I would be surprised to see Hedi go to Gucci, it seems like a very different customer, different values. Although, if Gucci were to afford him his own signature line for menswear and womenswear than I'd be very happy about everything.

My one worry is that Hedi has earned merit as a creative director, I'm not entirely convinced he can handle the technicalities of hands on design without the comforts of corporate sponsored staffing and auxilary talent. I'm sure wherever he goes he'll take his assistants with him.

This is news to me. I'm actually...well. I'm sort of sad that Hedi's leaving, but at the same time, I'm sort of anxious to see what will play out in the entire situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slimshelly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->