Hipster Street Style

sorry. but all i see is. sweaty. dirty. hairy. messy. mad. people.

I now there is something written about it in the first post, but what is the difference between hipsterstyle and scenestyle? I don't really see, these kids seem to be a bit more sober, but that is it.
Are hipster and scene 'official' or known names for this style?

^ I was wondering the exact same thing,what's the difference between hipsters and scenesters ??? :unsure:

kan-i-ta said:
I now there is something written about it in the first post, but what is the difference between hipsterstyle and scenestyle? I don't really see, these kids seem to be a bit more sober, but that is it.
Are hipster and scene 'official' or known names for this style?

lady B said:
^ I was wondering the exact same thing,what's the difference between hipsters and scenesters ??? :unsure:

There are not two distinctive sets of people. They are all hipsters and the ones who are seen out in the "scene" a lot are also "scenesters". In other words, "scenesters" are just hipsters who go out a lot. The only reason why the fashion would look any different is that when these hipsters are out in the "scene" they dress a little more loudly because, well, they're going out. That's all. I personally don't like to use either word, as anyone who fits that profile generally shuns it, as is the essence of the hipster. Sigh...

It all seems a little vacuous and shallow to me...

I'm guessing scenester/hipster to Americans can be roughly translated as 'indie' in Britain, however, the major difference is noone here would be self interested enough to devote an entire cultural movement to what is basically another of societies many categories, and created according points of identity (music/fashion/places to be 'seen). We just like to get drunk and party, without needing photographs of us pulling premediated stoner faces to be posted on websites in order to look cool...we just are :smile:

This thread looks just like the scene street style thread. :innocent:

i definitely think there is a difference...i live in williamsburg too and don't consider myself either one! but i don't think many of the people i'd classify as a hipster would go to a misshapes night...maybe i'm just getting old though!

anyway, there's a hipster handbook that's kind of funny and obviously sarcastic:
http://www.hipsterhandbook.com/

kanita said:
I don't really see [the difference between scenesters and hipsters], these kids seem to be a bit more sober, but that is it.
:rofl:

kanita, I don't think you meant it as a joke, but it makes me laugh all the same.

My boyfriend got this book a few years ago: A Field Guide to the Urban Hipster, By Josh Aiello. (http://www.randomhouse.com/features/urbanhipster/)

It's a spoof on serious scientific field guides....it follows the different "species" of hipsters through their mating rituals, attire, language, various habits, etc. At first, I thought it was a pretty stupid superficial concept, but then I started reading it one day out of boredom....I have to admit, it was kinda funny at times. Not bad entertainment at all.

erinina, i have the same polly magoo avatar on livejournal!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that if you dress however you want and exactly how you feel and are not scared of expressing yourself and looking "different", than you can be whatever you want! I think all these people (scenesters, hipsters whatever) don not care about what other people think they are...and that's what makes them so interesting: the attitude.

can't really be defined, but you know it when you see it

dylan-hat-argyle1.jpg

top pic: hipsterama.com
bottom pic: painfullyhip.com

Attachments

• painfullyhip.jpg
    painfullyhip.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 9
i feel like this is me and all of my friends...

:lol: I kinda feel like that too. I feel like this is what most NYC people ages 17-27 dress like right now...

it seems like all over the world this is just the way young people dress nowadays..we are much more fashion conscious...and i love it!B)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->