Hiring based on looks/image

I'm sure it happens, but there's no place in my city that seems to have a habit of hiring based on looks/image. I remember all the talk about Abercrombie & Fitch only hiring attractive white people, but I know a few people who worked there, and while they are not ugly, none of them were modelesque or even white. (I live in a predominantly white area btw.)

it is the same at Zara, believe it or not. In my case the manager told me: "You look like the perfect Zara girl". I did not like it at all, but I needed a job so I had too take it.

Thing is, I dont think that companys have a policy that tells them to hire certain people. But it is rather the MANAGERS(recruiters) that decide this on their own,which is a shame

Thing is, I dont think that companys have a policy that tells them to hire certain people. But it is rather the MANAGERS(recruiters) that decide this on their own,which is a shame

actually sometimes there is..when i worked at a&f the managers had a checklist to go through during the day, and one of the items said: 'do you have a greeter? is it a good-looking male?'

the hiring forms say similar things...

That said, for every well-groomed beauty counter salesperson, there's an unkempt computer genius earning ten times their salary in a room somewhere. So brushing your hair (and/or teeth) will get you somewhere, but in some areas, what's inside your mind still matters more. Mostly men doing that work, though - when it comes down to it, there's probably no job where a woman isn't more severely assessed in terms of her appearance, more so than a man.

I agree with this. I am one of those computer people(software developer), except for the unkempt part. I've worked with people who buy their clothes from sites like ThinkGeek, CafePress or woot!. They criticize designer merch while wearing stuff I wouldn't wear to clean house or work on a car. BUT, as long as they got the job done, their appearance was not that relevant.

Then again, I've had fantastic jobs with well above average pay, usually getting promoted (to managerial positions) quickly over people that were more technically skilled with more time at the company. I was more presentable and communicated with people more effectively (and politely, which believe me, is an issue with people in my field). Even in technical fields, being attractive or at least presentable is important and will gain you favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Looks will get you somewhere I'm telling you from experience because my friend got hired because she was gorgeous and she kept getting promotions and i mean she's smart and all but its her looks definitely...and all the women in her office hate herrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->