Homeless Man Becomes Chinese Internet Fashion Icon

Interesting...I'm not too surprised that this trend was glorified even more.

Fashion isn't what it used to be in the 50s. Designers referencing the rugged/obscure/homely/poor/horror has been apart of fashion today for quite awhile. I suppose...just be open to the idea, it could've been a lot worse...

I prefer homeless people as fashion icons over certain celebrities like Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah, this is funny. I mean I could see people following this (it's already evident in Viv Westwood) but I wouldn't follow it. Personally, I do like the rugged, sort of unkempt look but I draw the line at looking like you're out of a job & just gave up on life.

Gosh that Youtube video is depressing, where he's running away from the cameras, the cam corder being pushed in his face, and the close up of his face looking like hes about to cry..:cry:

I'm sure his priorities lie somewhere with getting food to survive, and shelter, maybe having someone to love him and having relationships with other humans?. Not being some shabby chic man, I'm sure he finds it a sick joke and questions the morality of some people who can look up to people in his situation for his fashion-sense, and not the crap he has to go through on a day to day basis.

sad.

^ Apparently from what my boyfriend has said to me (he's fluent in chinese) that he went crazy one day and ran away from his family (and by family I mean wife and children!!!). So when he got famous for the way he dressed his family was able to find him! I think his story is quite interesting...

I googled this after reading the first post, and I find the whole thing pretty tasteless. Erin Wasson's comments seem really insensitive as well. I like her, but saying those kind of things is pretty ignorant to me. As if the homeless care about their fashionista status! :yuk:

I felt really sad when I watched that footage with all those people clamouring around him with cameras and camcorders in his face; although they wanted to help him (asking him questions about where he's from, where his family is, etc), he was so frightened all he could do was cry.

More info on him here:

http://www.chinasmack.com/pictures/chinese-beggar-becomes-famous-online/

Now there's an update on what's happened to him on China Smack, he's finally reunited with his family:

http://www.chinasmack.com/stories/brother-sharp-family-reunion-netizen-photoshops/

thepettycat: I thought his wife and his father died in a car accident? Am I wrong about this?

I remember reading in some HK news site said that his wife and children died (can't remember how). He got very emotional distraught. That was how he became serevely mentally unstable and homeless :(

I'm very happy he was reunited with his family.

I hope he goes on to live a long and happy life.

i'm glad he's with family now, and i hope he gets better...

but i don't blame people for being fascinated and intrigued by the beauty of the rough and untamed.

i wonder about how would he look like all clean and shaved
someone should help him, pay for his shower at the petrol station or something

He just examplifies just how stylish people can be without burning a whole in their pockets. Kudos goes out to this man! :flower:

just read something about the freegans ...

and my opinion about Westwood recent works has sort of changed ...
What I've just read about this gang of freegans people is pretty much into what Westwood is doing ...

I'm not sure everyone can see this "trend" as something related this new conscience some people are developing (freegans i've already heard about ' em, but never thought about fashion when i read or watch something about these gangs) in the world, but maybe we should linked those communities and ideas a little more ....

I saw this article and thought it was interesting how homeless people are inspiring high fashion. Just b/c they are poor doesn't mean they can't be fashionable :wink:

So tFSers, what are your thoughts on this??? :smile:
I'm curious about this as well. I certainly don't equate money with fashion. After all, there are some ghastly outfits that cost quite a pretty penny.

Also, how do you know that the man by the subway station in the suit isn't wearing they only clothes that he owns and going from place to place and living out of his briefcase? (Which does happen.)

It's all about perception.

I find the article to be really tasteless and cruel; it is definitely attempting to be humorous when in reality most of us can see that the article is lacking any taste or respect for the man. He is leading a life where everything is about surviving, as the majority of us know we don’t have to worry about this as we have food in our fridges and a roof over our head so our everyday lives aren’t transfixed with this at all because it's simply there for us. Trying to make him some sort of ‘fashion icon’ is ridiculous as that is clearly going to be the least of his worries, he is dressing for convenience. Hopefully he is happy now he is reunited with his family and people will leave him alone!

I think it's because people have this romantic image of the "tortured artist" and too bad this misconception is prevalent.

He is clearly wearing Mugatu's 'Derelict' collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->