Bringing back the sweatshirt as a fashion item

I think we all love that look from Isabel Marant, I've seen it in several threads here :heart:

Our very own eleria/fashiontoast having fun times with the AA sweater:

dsc00901ju1.jpg
dsc00927dx1.jpg

ebay.com

dsc01450vv0.jpg

fashiontoast.com

just adding to softgrey's definition....
i think a traditional sweatshirt is supposed to be loose and baggy
whereas the "sweater" Camilla Nickerson is wearing is quite fitted and body skimming. It's the band around the bottom that gives that balloon-y fit. I also think raglan sleeves are key to the look....:heart:

I have a fleece one from A.F. Vandevorst with big baubles round the neck that I've been wearing with full skirts for a couple of years.
I'm never fully confident that it's flattering though, and i'm sure it's the fault of the fleece. :doh:

So, I definitely prefer the idea of a sweatshirt that's been updated in thinner and drapier fabric, but I think it needs to retain at least a few of the traditional characteristics to have a sporty-casual look. I have two of the AA ones in black and grey, and they are great! Very comfy, t-shirt weight, perfect for layering. (My unconscious trend-following is starting to embarrass me! :blush::lol:)

***softie, I was thinking the AA top might be another alternative for under your Y's jumper?

luckyme, the drkshdw collection is surprisingly good this season! I keep feeling like Rick is somehow partially responsible for this sporty trend that's happening....
I really love this piece so much. :heart:

{centocose}

img4239bfad168tq5.jpg

^ That's cool, Laika...
Thanks for posting..
It's drkshdw, no?

It'd be cool if someone could find some Norma Kamali pics to post... :buzz:

That Isabel Marant is amazing, one of my favourite outfits ever

I love the way fashiontoast paired it with the skirt

here is one from Marc by Marc Jacobs FW0708
00300f.jpg

vogue uk

^cute ! :kiss:

i was just thinking .. of the sweater dress that blew up in popularity a few seasons ago
the trend could have stemmed from there too
many designers were using the same material

& lookie , the Olsen twins have also jumped on the jersey bandwagon :angel:
Mary-Kate in sweater-dress @ left
normal6381d0ddp4.jpg

from olsen-files.com |
thanks rainy_spring

Love that gius^

I def think your right about these two trends relating to eachother,
it gives the same casual look when the sweatshirt is paired with a skirt that the sweaterdress gave

^ lol thanks.. :blush: that is that specific smile she does with her lips :ninja: but her fashion sense has cleaned up immensely i thought it should be ashley :lol:

I love Ashley in the sweater dress! The way the sleeve poofs out is so cute. I wish I could find one like that.

i'm totally loving the looks posted in this thread! basic sweatshirts with a twist is just too cool...

Anybody mentioned Ganryu? His first "collection" (well there are few pieces) is all about sweatshirt.

ganryu.jpg

from http://doverstreetmarket.com

I have a very small grey one so that I had to rip all the neck line off and put the seam down so it fits me well now:-P.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I mean my sweatshirt is of an unknown brand, not Ganryu:smile:)

oh thanks nqth..:P

to be honest...
i think this is going to go beyond the sweatshirt...
i think that FLEECE is going to be HUGE for FALL 08/09

i might have to start another thread about it eventually or change the name of this one to just FLEECE...

but i can feel it coming..

apparently the new avril lavigne collection for kohl's launching this fall is going to include a TON of fleece...:innocent:...

i didn't even know avril lavigne was coming out with a collection. oh beejeezus.

oh thanks nqth..:P

to be honest...
i think this is going to go beyond the sweatshirt...
i think that FLEECE is going to be HUGE for FALL 08/09

i might have to start another thread about it eventually or change the name of this one to just FLEECE...

but i can feel it coming..

apparently the new avril lavigne collection for kohl's launching this fall is going to include a TON of fleece...:innocent:...

well thats just going to be atrocious.

you mean the avril lavigne stuff or just fleece in general?

:unsure:

"sweatshirt" would be hot and incorporating the strip tease tread..[using organza/silk] could be quite classy.

Coming from Australia, we call them jumpers.... but yes, jumpers and sweatshirts are the same. Although a lot of those pictured were t-shirts.

I like the idea of going back to basics. I can't get enough of my tees/basics. They work with everything and always look neat and clean, teamed with jeans, or with skirts! Just got an AA 50/50 in blue/cobalt and it's soooooo soft.... I want another one too...

Last edited by a moderator:
elle

Attachments

• elle 052820081644032929.jpg
    elle 052820081644032929.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CupcakesTulip