How do you avoid that uniform look that is in every magazine ?

definetely off-topic, but am I the only who finds your username rather..... disturbing... britishkiller??? and I'm not even british... why all this hatred?

LOL!

It's meant to be "a killer that is british" rather than "a killer of the british".

I'm not even a native english speaker, is the meaning I want to convey completely off?

I chose it because I'm quite fond of British people actually ^_^ and sometimes I'm a little bit psycho and sociopath.

Sorry for the OT, I replied here because someone may have the same curiosity (or wrong impression!) :flower:

Oh dear! :huh:Thanks for clarifying... I would have never guessed...

english is (obviously) not my first language either and I definetely understood it in exactly the opposite way.... :flower:

Even if someone wear something a bit trendy.. like say.. jodhpurs how can you tell that is their personal style and that they are not just clones?

in my opinion, you really can't. at first i wanted to say that you can look at how they styled the piece, if it's with other of-the-moment items, etc, but what if that person's personal style just happens to actually be jodhpurs and a shrunken jacket (or whatever the look du jour is)? should that person then avoid all of the trendy styles that season simply so as not to appear too trendy, even though it's exactly what s/he's been wearing for years? :ninja:

i think the main issue is when someone does head-to-toe current-season clothes (unless it's really really basic stuff).

imo, the best way to avoid the "clone" look is to have a very strong sense of personal style and to stick to it. that way you feel good regardless of the season/trend, and the confidence that you radiate sets you apart from the self-conscious vibe that the sheep usually have... even if your look happens to be THE look and they just happen to be dressing like you for a few months... B)

^ You didn't seem at all psychotic to me, britishkiller, so I wasn't worried ^_^ :wink:

As far as telling whether other people are expressing personal style or are clones ... does it matter? :wink: Only matters what I'm doing, not what they're doing, right?

And just wanted to mentioned that (last I checked) one of the most admired posters in What are you wearing today? admits to being heavily (exclusively?) inspired by magazines :innocent:

As far as telling whether other people are expressing personal style or are clones ... does it matter? :wink: Only matters what I'm doing, not what they're doing, right?

That is such a great way to think!!!

I know a solution to not look trendy.. and that is to wear black, every time I get seduced by the colours on the high street i buy until I stop myself in my tracks and go
'wait... what is my style now? Is there a red thread going through it any more?'

I don't know why.. but I often feel like its important that there is a red thread going through my wardrobe.. but I'm always in two minds as I like having a bit of fun with fashion as well, like sometimes I like to dress geeky-preppy with colours just for fun.

If you wear only high-street its really easy to look victimin ish.. I buy antique jewellery that I mix in..

I get so over-inspired sometimes.. is hard to put everything in order, and see clearly what I should avoid, if I don't buy it right there and then its usually gone forever.

Well put, fashionista-ta (and thanks for believing in me not being a mass murderer, lol ^_^).

I also think that's ok to be careful to not become a fashion clone, but not if it ends in being paranoid about trends.

The best thing in my opinion is being inspired by trends, collections, etc, and incorporate them in my style. Like, I always love the same shapes, the same colors for each season, the same musical inspirations (to me music is really connected to fashion). But trends can inspire me to mix in a new way, to "discover" something, to associate different colors and different shapes with one another.

It's the same as music. I'm not afraid to discover a new "hip" band. Because I will only like it if it "fits" with my tastes. And I'll know that I like it for that reason, and not because it's hip.

Interesting question.

I think I've said this here somewhere before, but I think I follow fashion trends and read magazines just so I know what NOT to wear. I feel a bit like a fashion subversive. If there's a "Must Have" item - I often find myself doing the opposite. Or I wear the item in an unusual way.

But I weirdly don't want people to think I'm completely clueless and in my own world. I pay attention to the general silhouette and work within it but with unique things like vintage or one-of-a-kind pieces. While I loathe to admit this, I do gravitate to classic pieces, so I like to get things that really fit well, are well made and wear them for more than one season.

The other thing that throws me off is that since I follow fashion shows on the internet, my brain is always 6 months off. Autumn 2007 already looks old to me. When I see a girl in her shiny new Oxford shoes I can't help but think it's odd until I remind myself she's actually current. I'm already thinking Spring and working some of those looks into my wardrobe.

The downside of all this is that mainstream fashion people probably never think I'm cool or fashionable! ^_^

Btw, I remember mentioning that I like to shop at stores that cool people wouldn't be caught dead in earlier in this thread ... and just now I noticed a J Jill ad link above ... how'd they pick that up??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

See my way to avoid the uniform look is I will shop almost anywhere. Yes, I do shop at Abercrombie and Hollister, but I don't do the full looks. I like to scope out the inexpensive teen retailers at my mall such as Rave, Papaya, etc. because you can find some real gems there. Clearance sales are my best friend. I am addicted to accessories though-I love my scarves and jewelry. I have learned over time what works for my body-which is why I also avoided the whole trapeze/babydoll look like the plague for the most part.

Part of my thing though is that when I am shopping, I will buy a few random pieces on clearance sales (admittedly) and some of them, they get worn very rarely. However I am always thinking in my head of looks that I can create with what I have. I found a pair of plaid shorts from Abercrombie-well they will go well with my red square scarf and a white short-sleeved button down shirt. My work look is very retro-ish-a white dress top with a black high-waisted skirt.

I wear what I want, when I want to wear it.

I think just having fun, and enjoying what you wear is most important. I mean of course you can take an idea and put your own unique spin on it.
Personally, I find that I dress different then most people I know. I'm very influence by fantasy, magic, and "dark" clothing. But I love a classic, tailored look as well. My look is a bit eccentric, lol.

disaster!!!!

i went from store to store... and i went through a bunch of magazines...
nothing has changed in past few years.
and i saw some previews of next year's collection, and still nothing new. or older.

i am sick of skinny jeans in every store, ankle boots on every girl (i love ankle boots, but i loved them for past 10 yrs), gold with silver, oh and ofcourse the legings...

i cannot find wide hippie jeans,that i really love.
oh,i must not forget cowboy boots on every corner, purple well everything, long sweaters, open toes in winter...

fashion today needs help!!!
how can i expresse myself through clothes, when everything is the same...
or how can i break some fashion rule, if there is nothing left to break?

the fashion people took my biggest hobi, shopping and turned it into disaster!!! :yuk:

Living in rural Canada it is quite easy to look fashion forward if you mix a few international trends into your look, the problem is that when you go into a major metropolis it is hard to know what to wear without looking fashion victimishy... So then I tend go vintage or classic or ecclectic (read: odd)

I get dressed in the dark :P

But seriously, I have noticed that fashion has kind of reached a standstill, and things haven't been as great lately. But there is still personal style, it's just not so common. We're completely label and brand obsessed nowadays...

i agree that there is always one thing that no one can take away from you-your style. but it is hard to find clothes taht would fit in your wardrobe. and i live in the capital of serbia, we have all kinds of brands, but no vintage stores.
i guess i just hate looking like all other girls. i always wore something a bit different, and now, all i can do is make my clothes and mix it with this trends...:unsure:

Simple, I don't read magazines!

Actually, I do skim them once in a while, but overall I tend to get my fashion fix online. Granted, the web is not a total escape from the uniform trendy look, but there is a lot more variation in style - in the types of looks favored (from people who like to do a more retro thing to goths to prepsters, you get the picture) and just because there are really no borders. The same trend - say, ankle boots - is being worn in a different way in London than in LA.

Also, while I draw inspiration from magazines, various fashion websites and blogs, and what I see others wearing when out about, I do have a pretty well defined style of my own - and if something doesn't fit with my look, I won't wear it no matter how trendy it is. It seems that that is the opinion of most people on this thread - you can avoid the copycat look by developing your own unique taste!

First post. :smile: I love this place!

I think that personal style starts with an 'influence' by someone or something memorable - a magazine layout, a fashion show, an actor or person you look up to, your friends, or a special clothing piece. All of these factors contribute to the person's overall style.

It's the way you change the mainstream 'trend' and make it your own that truly develops your personal Style.

For some people, being trendy is their style. They are like chameleons, changing looks 4 times a year and they wear it well. For others, a classic look may be more their style. Mannerisms, idiosyncrasies and habits complete the final package and hopefully will develop into your own signature style.

I think you can't see if someone is stylish by theirself or by copycat if you only see him/her once. it's how you combine it on a long-term base. I don't buy things only because it's in. and if something is 'out' but i still like it I don't mind wearing it. But my style is pretty basic, with somethimes a crazy item. But i think you can see it in combining and behaving with what people are wearing. hard to explain in words but you can really see! because than it's just right.

i love looking at magazines out of interest and to get ideas, not because I want to rush out and buy identical outfits. I wear current trends only if they are 'me' and will work with my existing wardrobe. I also use lots of different shops, including small retailers and charity shops as well as chainstores so I am never head to foot in one shop's clothes

I wanted to bump this as I have a similar question.. what do you do when your signature look becomes popular/trendy?

I don't know if this should be a separate topic.

I've started to refuse to read magazines like British Elle as I find they often focus way too much on the newest 'look' rather than personal style. I think there are some great points in this thread. :flower: And I would like to see the discussion evolve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->