The Uniform Project: 1 Dress, 365 Days

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by Nemova, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Nemova

Nemova -

I just found out about this lady called Sheena Matheike, who decided to embark on an interesting and challenging journey: she's going to wear the same little black dress for one whole year while raising funds for a charity in India.

Her website, where she posts the look of the day: http://www.theuniformproject.com/

#1 Nemova, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Jul 24, 2009
  2. i_<3_chanel

i_<3_chanel elementary.

been watching this since the beginning.
    all credit to her very versatile dress and vast array of accessories :lol:
    not loving many of the looks but the principle is admirable

3. VogueParisLover

VogueParisLover New Member

I wonder how this dress would smell after the 365 days. :innocent:

4. Nemova

Nemova -

^Oh, but it's not really just one dress. It's seven identical dresses, one for each day of the week. ;)

5. VogueParisLover

VogueParisLover New Member

Ok, I didn't read the article. :lol: I was wondering how she could do that much laundery. :lol:

6. gius

gius chat~

^ :lol: i was worrying about the same thing

there was another woman who did the same project but she used a brown dress. she didn't raise funds i think

i think it's better if she had only a few pieces in the wardrobe. it doesn't really say much when she can add on anything else she likes.. who knows how many tops she has, to wear with the dress. she may have a TON of things. kind of defeats the purpose.

7. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

The little brown dress project is the original & IMO much more interesting.

8. Neceke

Neceke New Member

I wonder if she ever feels like she is in a "fashion rut" :p

9. j'adore_couture

j'adore_couture New Member

Wow, this sounds interesting! She must have a lot of accessories... I wonder if there are pictures of each outfit?

10. Nemova

Nemova -

^There are, actually. :)

11. Miss Mod

Miss Mod New Member

I read about that a couple weeks ago. I think it's an interesting project, but I can't help but think she's cheating a bit by having her designer friend make her a dress that can be worn several different ways already. It would be much harder to do it with something just off the rack at any store, imo. Admirable project, either way though.

12. Libra Skye18

Libra Skye18 New Member

That's a really cool idea. I'm checking her site and many of the looks are really cute. Kudos to her for giving back. :flower:

13. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I find 7 identical dresses rather silly :innocent:

14. Nemova

Nemova -

^ You should tell that to Ms. Matheiken, I'm sure she'll love some feedback. :flower:

15. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

This is interesting, but her attempts to reinterpret the same dress daily interest me less than would, say, the saga of a woman who must wear the EXACT, same outfit without any fun with tights and belts. It just seems self-defeating and much like a magazine's tagline: One Dress, 365 Ways... If I were doing the self-imposed uniform, I'd choose a gray jumpsuit with no accessorizations and instead document the psychological effect, over the course of one year, that this has had on me. Descents into madness make good reading; everyone knows that. :p

The basic principle is interesting, though, I'm not criticizing her philanthropy.

What?! :rofl: Nevermind, I love her.

16. Nemova

Nemova -

I think her purpose is only to show what can be done with a simple piece and lots of accessories - she's trying to put a spin on a little black dress, which is an interesting creative challenge. It's really easy to wear the exact same thing everyday even when the closet is full of options. It's much harder to take something so ordinary and try and make it look different each day for a year. I find her task quite amusing. ^_^ And the seven identical dresses - well, she'll be saving a lot on laundry this year, unlike the lady with the brown dress. :innocent:

17. fashionista-ta

I doubt she would be loving that feedback very much :flower: As you know, I'm all for a limited wardrobe, but I like each piece to be quite distinct from the next. Of course that would defeat the purpose of the project ...

I'm also thinking that wearing a dress, any dress or skirt, every single day for a year would get old :unsure: (I mean, not wearing pants ever ...)

jennifer, you can be the next Kafka in your grey jumpsuit :lol:

18. gius

gius chat~

i'm totally for the psychological effects :blush:
    the romance, the tragedy, the rebirth!

would make very very good reading.

it takes me back to high school. catching a little whisper from one ear, that guy wears the same thing everyday... "ugh!" they say.

19. fashionista-ta

^ I used to have a collection of silk paisley skirts, and the dingy receptionist at work would whisper about me as I walked by, because she couldn't tell one from another :rolleyes: I'm sure she didn't go beyond high school, and her mentality was quite stuck in that mode ...

20. coco24

coco24 Member