How to Get Work in Fashion Magazine Publishing (see Post #1 for related threads)

I think that for an internship, they will be more interested in your work ethic than your experience (however, your resume shows that you are foucused, which is a good trait).

Interns do all the grunt work so they won't need you for your expertise or experience or for your ideas, yet. But, they will want to be sure that you will show up on time, do the tedious and physically difficult tasks willingly with a good attitude, that you are a good team member and won't complain. So expect them to ask questions about how you would handle things you don't like to to and how you feel about that. Assure them that you are not a quitter when things get tough and that you are willing and actually looking forward to paying your dues.

^ thank you Bette! I appreciate your advice. I have no problem with doing the grunt work and administrative tasks etc, and I know I have a terrific work ethic so none of that will be a problem. I just hope someone somewhere opens a door for me to wedge my toe into.

Sometimes I feel like I'm "too old" to be competing for internships with young college/high school students, but at the same time because I'm "older" I feel like I do have more life experience and professionalism to bring to the table. At least that's what I tell myself..... :S haha!

Los Angeles Branches of Top Fashion Mags

Hey guys,
So I basically would like any info you have on the West Coast (L.A.) branches of magazines. I go to school currently in L.A. and I'm currently interning at a popular fashion website, and I also want to intern at a magazine, such as: Elle, Vogue, Teen Vogue, W, Marie Claire, Glamour, Lucky, InStyle, etc.

Do all of these mags have offices in LA and if so, are they generally very small, with just a few employees, or can they be quite large? I'm specifically interested in the ones that have LA interns!! The only one I know of is Teen Vogue (from The Hills :blush:), and the building where their office is says Conde Nast on the sign outside, but I couldn't find out if any other mags are in that building too? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for ANY info on west coast offices!

If they have west coast offices, they would be listed in the magazines themselves on the information page where they list their editors and offices. And it might also be on the Conde Nast website. So do some homework and you'll probably find out, on your own.

Well I have been doing some research but information like how many people are employed in the office is not readily available, so I was wondering if anyone had some personal experience/knowledge. Also, for HFMUS (Elle's publisher), for example, they just give out an email address to apply for an internship and don't mention if there are west coast spots open.

So on the Elle masthead under Brand Offices: West Coast, they only list two names under Directors and one Assistant. Does this mean that there is possibly only 3 people employed for Ellle in LA?? And I'm not sure if that's a stupid question? haha.
Thanks!!

It's possible it's only a 3 person office, but more likely it would be a few more than that. There are no serious fashion magazines based out of L.A. .... so what is here, would probably just be a small satellite office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get a job at a magazine when you've studied photography?
If so, what job? Can you eventually even become a fashion editor?

Normally you'd be working as a photographer if you've studied photography. And I think most magazines contract that out to someone .... not a staff member. So, I'm not sure if that would help you to get you a job at a magazine.

But possibly .... if it was a very small magazine and they need shots of product and things like that, they might find it a useful skill for someone on staff to have, but they'd need a lot of other things from you too .... depending on the department you would work in. So, the photography would just be an "extra bonus" ... but I don't think they'd be looking for someone who has studied photography.

A fashion editor never takes pictures ... so the skills they would be looking for in a good candidate to do that job would would be more along the lines of like being able to write well, to be able to spot trends, being able to supervise staff, and to actually come up with the concept and style the fashion shoots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->