BEST fashion school? -Closed! See Post #1 for Instructions and Related threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there,

has anyone know any good fashion schools in Dubai? Is it even a good idea to study fashion design in Dubai???
Thanks

i heard esmod is pretty good... but then i talked to some french people and they said all design schools in france suck... so i'm not entirely sure.. esmod isn't an official college though right? it's just a place to learn it or something... i'm not sure if i helped. :D

uberQuirkiness said:
i heard esmod is pretty good... but then i talked to some french people and they said all design schools in france suck... so i'm not entirely sure.. esmod isn't an official college though right? it's just a place to learn it or something... i'm not sure if i helped. :D

hehe.. well.. i mean. here in norway we do have esmod, and that's The School here.. there are no other fashion schools in this country, exept one "artistic" course at the school of arts and design. one friend of mine started there last year (at asmod..), and she is very satisfied; it is hard work, but she'll make it. and one near friend of mine did also go there, and he was the best ever at the school, and has worked in paris (don't remember for who), and for denise razzouk in NY. so i was just wondering why not anyone was mentioning it, since the school is all over europe (maybe world for all i know...?) ;D

does anyone go to Parsons AAS fashion studies?

I am studying at Parsons AAS fashion studies program. I'm disappointed with the program so far. Most of my classmats feel the same. We pay as much money as the Parsons BFA program, however, what we have are unstructured courses and unprofessional faculty. The AAS program don't teach you how to design and it has very very few design concept courses. More terrible thing is that one of my design concept teachers is a patternmaker and she taught patternmaking in the BFA before coming to the AAS. Other class like fashion drawing or construction classes are not ok too.... I would rather go to FIT. FIT is much cheaper and it has much better faculty and courses than my program...
The only good thing is that all my classmates are nice. Most of them have Ba degree and work experience. They are students who study very hard by themselves.....anyway...avoid parsons aas fashion studeis...

is academy of couture art any good???? its in l.a., california~ near rodeo drive/beverly hills~

So I applied for the BTEC Diploma in foundation studies in art & design at Ravensbourne.....does anyone have any idea if this is any good??? It looks good from their website but they obviously wont talk trash bout their own uni...

I realise I've put a few ravensbourne questions up......sorry

Hi guys!

This is a really helpful thread for people like me who r confused about deciding on which school is the most suitable for their needs...
anyway now i'm studying in IED Milano and i want to try my chance by applying to CSM so i'd really pleased if someone can give advice about how to preapare a portfolio for CSM ? ^_^

i also applied last year but i think i was too late that's why i wasn't accepted :cry:

does anyone has a clue about the portfolio tips for CSM

thnxxxxx

I am quite interested in applying at CSM. I'll be visiting the campus this June.

So my question is to...
anyone that is currently studying, or has studied at CSM, how is/was your experience? Most importantly, what did you not like about it?

hmmm sertotonin... i thought you could apply anytime to CSM..that's what it says on their website hmm..
well..i haven't necessarily studied at CSM officially as a college student, but i have taken a short course...and our instructor taught us about applying..

so..first of all... CSM likes you to apply using size A2 sketchbooks (this is the official size their fashion students use..they like big things..) you need about 25-50 of your BEST works... (no..here's how sucky i was and now look hhow fantastic i am... just your best....) and you also need to have an idea sketchbook..just so they can see your creativity and stuff..
but if your a foreign student, you have to put your photographs on a slide...or on a cd disc...
academics are really not important...but they do look at it...(you need to write some essay in your 3rd year as required by law...strange, yeh)
it was fun. i'd only been there for a week... the building's pretty ugly...very narrow and a gazillion stairs..easy to get lost in the first couple of days..
but there's you can see that a lot of creativity is there...yea..i dont know..
the rooms are so plain and empty looking..like a blank canvas.
there's no air conditioning..and i don't think there's an elevator (lift) there eithe.r..we had to walk up and down 5 flights of stairs everyday. (PAIN!) and it's even worse if you want to do the fine arts program... it's on the 10th floor or something. (your legs will surely die..but Good exercise!)
there are lots of places to eat...buy food...(superdrugs, benjys, patisseries, pasta places, pret-a-manger, etc...) lots of fabric stores (very high quality fabrics, though they can be a little pricey..but they're definitely worth it i think)

so overall CSM was fantastic. :D
i hope i helped.

oh yes... and You should include fine art in your portfolio (even i your doing fashion ) like...still-life....realistic stuff... they need to know you can DRAW.. the lady said this was super super important (and...she told some people in our class..in front of everyone..that they needed to learn how to draw better...brutally honest...yes)

uberQuirkiness said:
oh yes... and You should include fine art in your portfolio (even i your doing fashion ) like...still-life....realistic stuff... they need to know you can DRAW.. the lady said this was super super important (and...she told some people in our class..in front of everyone..that they needed to learn how to draw better...brutally honest...yes)

thanxxx a lot uberQuirkiness :D

I really wanna get in there although I'm studying fashion design in Milano, so I really appreciate your help!!! :flower:

I'm planning to include the projects I've been doing at school hope i can survive :unsure:

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/85685450@N00/?deleted=151180560 for anyone who would want a quick glance of my works :blush:)

Does anybody know anything about The Laboratory Institute of Merchandising in New York. I really want to go here but theres no talk or anything about it. I want to know if its a good school and if its respected in the industry.

http://www.limcollege.edu/html/flash.asp

^ AHHH!!! theres finally someone who talks about it!!! i really wanted to go there either for fashion merchandising or management and did apply for management there, but the i realised that i wanted a full college experience and i know i wouldnt get one there... Their courses sound really interesting but the thing is that its practically all girls (just realised you're a guy!) 800 students, 96% women, 4% men.... and that there are limited clubs and no sports... so i didnt finish my application which only needed a telephone interview, but enrolled at a different college instead... Are you going there fall 06? i personally think its a good school... i would definately go if it was part of a bigger university! Their courses sound sooo fun!

Well my only problem was the same as yours because I wanted the full college experience but then I realized I dont really do Sports and they have Yearbook and Fashion club so thats good enough for me. I also heard they have great programs where you can work in your field. One girl said she got an internship at Teen Vogue. And I dont mind that theres ALOT more women because for the most part all of my friends are girls so its not really a problem for me. And the people seem friendly

thank you alot uberquirkiness!!

25-50 best works?! @[email protected] hope i can pull together that many
maybe i should take a year off just to prepare the stuff..im still in grade 11..so i got one more highschool year to go

good thing for forgien students it's a digital portfolio...cause i hope my web designing skill can give me a boost

and thank goodness for the not so high academic requirement

serotonin - your works are really really good..are you studying fashion right now?

VICTIM said:
there are a LOT of students in my class that left parsons to come here (csm) thats kind of wierd but they say that there school is too technical and less design
yea..i heard alot of things about how it's really technical
that's one of the reasons why im starting to dislike how parsons works
some like it like that though =T

muxu said:
thank you alot uberquirkiness!!

25-50 best works?! @[email protected] hope i can pull together that many
maybe i should take a year off just to prepare the stuff..im still in grade 11..so i got one more highschool year to go

good thing for forgien students it's a digital portfolio...cause i hope my web designing skill can give me a boost

and thank goodness for the not so high academic requirement

serotonin - your works are really really good..are you studying fashion right now?
wowww goshh thank U muxu !!! seriously i'm stunned by your comment :flower:

yep, right now i'm studying fashion in Milan at IED(Istituto Europeo di Design)... although i'm happy about it in general, CSM was and still is my ultimate dreamcome true :rolleyes:

by the way i guess that if u have u can also include links to websites that u have created or smt cos i remember smt like that from the application form :unsure: I mean I'm sure they have it in the international app. form and it should be in the other one too! On the last page there r 2lists, 1for slides the other for the additional items u r going to include...and they count websites as another additional item as well! :wink:
check that out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->