How to make a suit casual

Fade to Black

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just wanted your opinions on wearing suits (full suit jacket and pants combination, not just the jacket) just as usual everyday wear even if you don't have a job or anything to get dressed up for. Will it make me look too stiff and out of place? The reason I'm asking is because I love wearing suits but at the same time wearing the whole ensemble to say, classes might attract some unwanted attention. Hell last semester I got weird comments like "Where are you going?" just for wearing a blazer with jeans.

- Matt

^ I agree. I personally wear a lot of suits now, though most of the times I usually just wear the tops, tie and blazer ala dior homme-ish, I sometimes go out with the full pant as well. I've gotten comments too but I think people now have gotten used to me styling it up, but yeah honestly just wear what you want whenever :smile:

thanks for the comments guys, I think I now have the confidence to wear a suit where ever I want!!! You made some good points...wearing what you want, who cares what other people think! I should've realized that a long time ago...

Totally agreeing with the others, wear whatever you like. It's just plain fun to dress up for no reason anyway, and really, you'll stand out in a good way!

Yeah, go for it!!!
I sometimes like to dress up even if I have nowhere special to go, I just feel like it.

purplelucrezia said:
Totally agreeing with the others, wear whatever you like. It's just plain fun to dress up for no reason anyway, and really, you'll stand out in a good way!
agreed. and i love it :D B)

There is nothing more attractive than a good looking guy who wears a suit with confidence... no matter where he is!!

princess_tess said:
There is nothing more attractive than a good looking guy who wears a suit with confidence... no matter where he is!!

^ i second that!!!:woot: :woot: young guys in suits are HOT, man, i'm telling you! i say rock your suits as much as possible~! :D

It will be useful for you too, when you are older, to have an established pattern of smart dressing, for then, when you want to change jobs, you won't arouse suspicion among your co-workers when you come to work dressed up. They won't know if you have an interview, or if it is just your usual snappy look! :wink:

As You Like It said:
It will be useful for you too, when you are older, to have an established pattern of smart dressing, for then, when you want to change jobs, you won't arouse suspicion among your co-workers when you come to work dressed up. They won't know if you have an interview, or if it is just your usual snappy look! :wink:

Now that's pragmatic thinking!:lol:

Defintely FTB, theres no harm in looking great.
Go for it!

i used to wear a man's silk suit from the 60's double brst with narrow cropped trousers...a skinny tie and high heels to school... :lol:

but i'm not normal... :lol: ... :innocent:

Everyday wearer here.

In the beginning I felt like I was going to my First Communion. Now of course it's second nature. Too much so. In my line of work, it's a uniform which has its amusing idiosyncratic pros and cons.

Anyway, to address your post: a good-quality, good-fitting suit is awesome and appropriate anywhere, job or lack thereof. (What I do notice is that loads of men that shell out coin for nice suits often ignore their footwear either by wearing crappy shoes or failing to properly care for them.)

i used to wear suit jackets with jeans or entire suit to classes too, whenever i felt like it!
it makes you feel sophisticated and slightly out of place, something i'd recommend to everyone!
just do it, don't think about it!
i think it's best just not to care about what other are thinking, and just love your own style!

liberty33r1b said:
it makes you feel sophisticated and slightly out of place, something i'd recommend to everyone!
just do it, don't think about it!
i think it's best just not to care about what other are thinking, and just love your own style!
Definitely!:flower:

Go for it, Matt. Think about the future...what's more important down the line?...feeling good about yourself in clothes that you love; being happy.......or........feeling uncomfortable, worrying about what others think of your fashion sense? If people give you strange looks and you start to feel uneasy, think about this: are these people and their opinions really going to matter five years, or even five months, down the line? Chances are the answer is "no".

Last edited by a moderator:
go for it. wear sneakers if you think it's too dressy

AlexN said:
Definitely!:flower:

Go for it, Matt. Think about the future...what's more important down the line?...feeling good about yourself in clothes that you love; being happy.......or........feeling uncomfortable, worrying about what others think of your fashion sense? If people give you strange looks and you start to feel uneasy, think about this: are these people and their opinions really going to matter five years, or even five months, down the line? Chances are the answer is "no".

Thanks Alex, your post really helps me put things into perspective.

The one reason that is stopping me from wearing a full suit to school is not just that people will give me weird looks, but the fact that upon seeing someone dressed so "proper" some pranksters might act out of jealousy and try to ruin my clothes (i dunno, kick some slush into my pants or do something). I want to do it but it might be a little too out of place. This is why I wish I went to school in a more cosmopolitan setting, everyone here is so dressed down (mostly to the point of being sloppy)...if I was going to Parsons or even NYU I'm sure I could do this and nobody would bat an eye. But since it's Michigan people will think I just got out of the mental ward.

It's nice to wear a good suit and feel powerful and confident though. But I don't want to alienate people. Yesterday when the clothes arrived at my dorm first thing I tried them on and walked to the convenience store...normally the guy there would be all like "Hey what's up man!" yesterday when he saw my attire he seemed quiet and reverent, perhaps even fearful :innocent:

urd said:
go for it. wear sneakers if you think it's too dressy

Sorry, that's one thing I will never understand. I think it looks so incredibly ugly.

Matt, sure, you go for it. and may I add: people will get used to your new styling and they won't keep asking you "where are you going".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->