How to make a suit casual

If you wanna wear a suit - wear a suit!

As long as you feel comfortable and confident, its completely fine :smile:

Fade to Black said:
Hey guys,

I just wanted your opinions on wearing suits (full suit jacket and pants combination, not just the jacket) just as usual everyday wear even if you don't have a job or anything to get dressed up for. Will it make me look too stiff and out of place? The reason I'm asking is because I love wearing suits but at the same time wearing the whole ensemble to say, classes might attract some unwanted attention. Hell last semester I got weird comments like "Where are you going?" just for wearing a blazer with jeans.

- Matt

I live in my suit. It has become an extension of my body.

softgrey said:
i used to wear a man's silk suit from the 60's double brst with narrow cropped trousers...a skinny tie and high heels to school... :lol:

but i'm not normal... :lol: ... :innocent:

I also did that, but mine was a woman's suit :lol:

But im not normal either :innocent:

i wear a black suit sometimes when i go to the city to look professional even though i dont have a job its fun to act like a corporate executive

TheSoCalledPrep said:
I am in high school... and I wear suits.. alot.

Wow I wish I went to school with you...you seem like a really cool girl. I'm not just saying this based on that one post, but just in general what I've seen you post :wink:

how to make a suit casual ?

okay so i'm going to an 18th dinner in two weeks. All the girls are wearing dresses and typically i'd embrace the opporunity to wear my finest example of hugo boss tailoring lol BUT all the guys are refusing to wear suits so I need a casual way to town it down without doing the whole "look at me being all smart but casual with my t shirt under my suit jacket" look :smile:

Any ideas?

I was thinking of just putting a black and white check shirt underneath suit

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe a bright colored tie or shirt with a black suit? or if you have those "hipster glasses" or some converse or your hair a little more casual

The easiest way to make a suit look more youthful and casual is ditching a tie altogether and wearing the first two or three shirt buttons undone. If the suit is black, you could go with a black or dark colored shirt underneath (like charcoal gray). If you wanted to make it more youthful, you could take couturex's suggestion and do some black Chuck Taylor's instead of a shoe.

I was just about to suggest converse as well :rofl: can't really fail with them

I'll try to give a few pointers:
  • Try a fitted suit. Boss isn't the best of labels but their suits are quite modern in terms of fit. You got one point covered. I'm assuming you possess one suit?
  • A black or light grey suit looks more edgy than plain navy or dark grey, which are traditional business-formal colors. You might want to try a off-white or tan summer suit if the climate is still warm and sunny
  • Yup ditch the tie. I still can't stand skinny ties. Well, unless you're tall, slim and above 21. My personal opinion is that skinny ties only go well with shirt and jacket, and the wearer can't be too young or he risks the cliche of the tired "young punk in a suit" look. An example of someone pulling off a skinny tie well is Lee Cade in the show "Pushing Daisies", he's tall, lean and just the right mix of youth and maturity (Doesn't help that he's good-looking, but I digress. :D)
  • Buttons un-done on a shirt can be good, but I think its more appropriate on older men with a certain amount of swag. If you have a underdeveloped or hairy chest, skip the un-button part.
  • Might want to try a simple polo shirt or sweater/turtleneck instead of a button shirt. I saw this great look where the guy was wearing a crisp white linen shirt under a grey cardigan with a navy suit. Casual yet super stylish.
  • Converses are fine, especially if you're want the "rock/grunge with a suit" flair, but I prefer casual shoes like loafers (shouldn't be appropriate in winter), suede bucks, or desert boots.
Lastly, make sure your pants are properly hemmed. They should at or slightly after the ankles. Ankle length pants are more modern (ala Thom Browne, who is at the extreme end of the spectrum, but you get the idea). Pants falling slightly after the ankles are more traditional, but the crease or break created by them should be minimal. In a nutshell, don't the pants' fabric bunch around the ankle, it's digusting.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt because ultimately menswear should be about doing what you think is the best for you.

Check out the Sartorialist's blogspot for examples of casual suits being worn well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice from Djflame, and I agree that the Sartorialist is great for menswear inspiration. Only want to add that I am personally tired of Converse with suits and I dislike turtlenecks on guys in general. Clarks Wallabies (sp?) are a classic in casual footwear and look really good with suits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->