i-D July 2007 : Devon Aoki by & with Jeremy Scott

the editorials seem promising so far. thank you for the scans.

If I were posting full-size scans when I mention a new magazine, I'd have no problem with crediting all involved, because that would be reproducing their work directly to the public.

That said, when I post a review of a magazine, it's more of a brief summary of the contents, articles and all, so that people might buy the magazine itself, with the main purpose of alerting anyone who is a fan of a certain model or photographer that there may be something in say, Tatler or UK Glamour this month that they might otherwise miss. I don't feel there's much point in me reproducing full name-rolls for work I'm not reproducing in full.

the point is for the same reason you post the name of the model and photog...
esp the STYLIST or fashion editor....
since most story ideas come from them...
so if there is a fashion story--- it is THEIR story...their fashion...
and judging by the number of people on here who want to be stylists..it would seem that people would want to know that just as much...
i certainly do...and berlin rocks does and i am sure there are others as well...

so it would be much appreciated if that would be considered in future...
thanks!
:flower:

Given that rationale, I'll have to start crediting the author of every article I mention, because a lot of people also want to be fashion journalists. And at what point does a brief review - a review with no scans - just become a list of names that perhaps a majority of posters won't bother wading through?

For me, the most important thing when I review a magazine is getting people to read about it, and to buy the actual issue (or not buy it, if it's truly a waste of hard-earned money). I don't actually want to reproduce people's work to such a quality that posters might not bother buying the real thing - a related question might be: if we are to respect these people's work, should we be scanning it in HQ at all? Is crediting names more a sort of damage limitation exercise rather than "the right thing" to do for these people in the first place? We'll all have our own answers to that.

Like I say, in no way am I against crediting a full name-roll for full-sized scans, but I feel that if I had to write them out for every feature in every unillustrated review I do of a B-grade magazine like UK Glamour, posters would probably stop reading them, because there's only so much a reader can wade through.

^I don't know if I will write as well as you... but softgrey just ask the name of stylist and make-up and hair stylists... that's it! because she noticed a very good story...
we're not talking about reviews, there... but, yes, it's important, too, to give the name of a journalist and I think all people should do it... but most of the time, we're requesting articles because of the title not because of the name journalist and once it's scanned we can see who wrote the article...
(see this part : "it's also annoying when people just scan the page we see the model facewhen it's a double page[...]")

Honestly, it's true, on tfs magazine thread (and I think tfs is the most respectfull forum about the credits!!!) most of the people just want to know who the model is... for my part, if it's not Kate Moss or new interesting face, I don't really care about the models (eventhough they are important)... But I care a lot about the stylism + photo...which imo is very very important... and it's true it's annoying when tfs-ers just post the name of photog. and model...
how many times do we see a "wow! what a coherent story", "what a beautiful stylism" etc. comparing to tons of "wow! sasha is breathtaking!!!" "wow lara is soo hot!"...how many times do we see a "I cannot wait to see Jacob K story" comparing to tons of "I cannot wait to see Olga and Magdalena and Kristina and blablabla"...
just have to compare the behind the lens threads and the supporting cast threads...
it's also annoying when people just scan the page we see the model face on a double page... may I scratch my a** to see the other page?
it would be like cut a poem...

For me, the most important thing when I review a magazine is getting people to read about it, and to buy the actual issue (or not buy it, if it's truly a waste of hard-earned money)

That said, when I post a review of a magazine, it's more of a brief summary of the contents, articles and all, so that people might buy the magazine itself, with the main purpose of alerting anyone who is a fan of a certain model or photographer that there may be something in say, Tatler or UK Glamour this month that they might otherwise miss

well as I do not buy a magazine because of the models/celebs casting, I would prefer to see the name of the stylists and photog., and even sometimes (pretty rare but it can happen) because of some articles...

When I scan (or do a review or preview), I try to be the most respectful about everything... then I write all the credits (not the make-up and hair stylist when it's not a beauty editorial, true!) and people here are helpfull when I don't know the model's name as my models skils are very bad...

But i must say that without the modelizers/models fans there would be tons and tons of editorial i would never see and enjoy...
and anyway, we gently ask the scanner/owner of the magazine and he/she reply...

omg, talk that much?
anyway, important part of my blabla : I think softgrey just wanted to attract people attention on the fact a fashion story is not just about models/photog., there's a whole team around a fashion story... and even asst.!!!!^_^

I always like to know the stylist/editor, but for a quick review, I don't find it necessary to list the entire creative team. Like tigerrouge pointed out, it's just a preview to get people interested in buying the magazine. If someone really wants to know who did the hair for an ed they haven't even seen, and can't wait until scans appear, they can ask...

And when actually posting the whole editorial in question, I don't really see the point either, since people can then read the full credits themselves...

I'm just grateful that people take the time to post reviews ("incomplete" or not) in the first place...

Last edited by a moderator:
the point is for the same reason you post the name of the model and photog...
esp the STYLIST or fashion editor....
since most story ideas come from them...
so if there is a fashion story--- it is THEIR story...their fashion...

and judging by the number of people on here who want to be stylists..it would seem that people would want to know that just as much...
i certainly do...and berlin rocks does and i am sure there are others as well...

so it would be much appreciated if that would be considered in future...
thanks!
:flower:

AGREED.

Glosoli, I was not talking to you in person, nor to anyone else in particular... it was more general...
and I think, softgrey - I, actually, don't know if I can talk for her, so let's say : I was not talking about this thread in particular but in a more general way...
and not just about previews but about scans/previews/reviews in general... it's very very often that even when scanning the all story, people just write the name of model and photog'... and when they don't scan the "credits" page -because there's no models on this page or because it's a blank page - it's pretty difficult to find the infos... if you don't have the mag under your hands...
and sometimes people (well I can talk for myself:blush:) don't pay attention to the reviews... and just check the scans you - lovely - post

people just have to get that a fashion shooting, as we are talking about fashion shooting, is a complete story with its photog., editor/stylist, model, make-up artist and hair stylist...and all their asst. and all the clothes and the set and the art direction etc.
why do you think magazines take time to write all those credits??? it's very important!

and I repeat, I am glad, too, that people scan and post reviews, previews and full story... this was a thing softgrey wrote just to tell people it could be like a guideline... well i hope i understood well...

move on, now?
could someone please scan the man editorial, please??:blush::flower:

people just have to get that a fashion shooting, as we are talking about fashion shooting, is a complete story with its photog., editor/stylist, model, make-up artist and hair stylist...and all their asst. and all the clothes and the set and the art direction etc.
why do you think magazines take time to write all those credits??? it's very important!
I think everyone understands this...

I find some of the comments in this thread a bit condescending... It's not about not appreciating the work of everyone involved, it's just a bit tedious to type out an essay of credits, especially when it's already there in the magazine for everyone to see....

I do see the point if the credit page isn't scanned, though...

So yes, let's move on... :flower:

The passion of the anti-christ superstar
Photography: Alice Hawkins
Styling: Sam Willoughby

... so now I know Gareth Pugh's intended audience for his clothes.

We love you Jeremy !

Some people are born with the face of an angel, Devon Aoki was born with the face of a Goddess !

^ that first up the nose photo isn't a really flattering pose for Devon.

Lick, Lick.
Fashion Director: Simon Foxton
Photography: Simon Thiselton
Design: Matthew Hawker

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adrianadrima
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"