i-D Pre-Fall 2016 'The Female Gaze Issue' : Adwoa Aboah

Marc10

Staff member
Reaction score
Photography Harley Weir. Styling Julia Sarr-Jamois

Photography Inez Van Lamsweerde. Fashion Director Alastair McKimm

Photography Letty Schmiterlow

From fashion to politics, it has never been a greater time to be female. If Hillary Clinton wins the US election in November, she will be the first female President in America's history; joining German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister Theresa May as a triptych of women leading three of the world's six largest economic powers. In fashion, we saw Maria Grazia Chiuri appointed Artistic Director of Dior, the first woman to take the helm in the house's 70-year history. "Having a woman at the label is in keeping with the changing times," Dior's Chief Executive Sidney Toledano told the FT. "It reflects a changing mood… and the women of today have a very important role in the world's future." In The Female Gaze Issue of i-D, we bring you just some of the brilliant and inspiring women in our world today. For the first time in i-D's 36-year history, we celebrate the power of the female lens, working with female photographers only from front to back. From Inez van Lamsweerde to Harley Weir, Letty Schmiterlow, Collier Schorr, Venetia Scott, Zoe Ghertner, Cass Bird, Petra Collins, Brianna Capozzi and more; discover the myriad of ways in which women view women today.

Sometimes a girl comes along who completely defines the times. She's smart, brave, and she possesses the wisdom and mental resilence of someone twice her age. But most importantly of all, she wants to make a change. Adwoa Aboah is that girl. The 24-year-old British born model and actress is the founder of Gurls Talk; the feminist initiative speaking out on addiction, sexuality, body image and mental health in the hope to get girls talking. We invited three female photographers to photograph Adwoa for the issue. From the empowering lens of Inez van Lamsweerde, to Harley Weir's mesmerising vision of modern womanhood and Letty Schmiterlow's raw, honest portraits captured at Adwoa's home; the results are a beautiful, multi-faced study of a girl.

In London, women are leading the charge at some of the most successful and forward-thinking fashion labels in the world. We teamed with Sarah Mower MBE, ambassador for emerging talent at the British Fashion Council (BFC) and chair of its NEWGEN committee, to meet 28 female designers shaping the face of the industry; from Luella Bartley to Simone Rocha, Roksanda Ilincic, Sophia Webster, Marta Almeida, Astrid Anderson and more. "The situation London's women and girls have created for themselves is special and exceptional," Sarah Mower says, "as anyone can see if they search the Milan, New York and Paris calendars for female equivalents." We also talk to 22 of the world's leading supermodels - from Amber Valletta to Milla Jovovich, Freja Beha, Sasha P and Kirsten Owen - to discover how their relationship with the camera has developed over time. London's super agents discuss the rise of female photographers, Lena Dunham and mum, Laurie Simmons, chat mother daughter relationships, Hari Nef talks the power of queer friendships, and Petra Collins handpicks the women who inspire her from artist and activist Marilyn Minter to Tavi Gevinson and rising star Selah Marley. We also chat Patti Smith with Girls star Zosia Mamet, new tunes with Pixie Geldof and Warpaint, and pay homage to award-winning American photojournalist Lynsey Addario, who risks it all to report from the front line. Pioneering, talented, inspirational, bold and brave, these are just some of the brilliant women enriching fashion, art and culture today.
i-d.vice

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVE the concept!! Adwoa is the perfect choice to embody this as well, love what she's doing with Gurls Talk. I think the Inez and Vinoodh covers work best for me.

I think it looks great, it feels like there's a strong sense of purpose behind these images, which for me, has been lacking in i-D's cover stories of late.

Love ! Adwoa is a gorgeous and smart girl. So nice to see her.
Can't wait to see the rest.

No Vinoodh Matadin?
"We invited three female photographers to photograph Adwoa for the issue."

Finally, a face worthy of a muse for an i-D cover instead of all these bored kids.

She’s got that brand of regal beauty that transcends time, space and race that hints of Christy Turlington, and the cheeky spirit, fire and graphic sharpness of Stacey Mckenzie.

The cover by Inez is absolutely stunning! Such an attitude.

The concept is lovely btw. But the first and third covers still feel like a part of a long long long multi cover-ed issue for them. The Inez on should have been the sole cover.

Is it not the same concept Teen Vogue did with the girls by girls issue ? :huh: . Otherwise, great covers , my favorite is the one shot by Harley Weir !

Love this.

Adwoa is captivating and interesting and makes a glorious cover model.

The I&V cover is my fav.

Inez Van Lamsweerde's cover reminds me of those refined i-D covers by Edward Enninful. Therefore I am going to get that cover.

Love it. She looks very cool and generous. It makes a huge difference with no-model cover girls !

One of the best set of covers this year, and Adwoa is pure greatness, as absolutely always. Also the list of photographers makes me eager to see what's inside of this, so far Weir's cover wins for me but the two others are neat too. Funny fact, though, that i-D goes for an all-female issue while on their facebook newsline it's very often about "gender does not exist".

^^^ Haha— don’t be too hard on the fashion people. Gender doesn’t exist until “what a cool idea to produce an all-female issue. guys!” LOL

I think I’ll play Madonna’s brilliantly lipstick-stained but viciously-biting “What It Feels Like For A Girl” from 2000.

Is it not the same concept Teen Vogue did with the girls by girls issue ? :huh: . Otherwise, great covers , my favorite is the one shot by Harley Weir !

It is! only that Vinoodh also shot TV.

I love Weir & Schmiterlow´s :heart:
Inez´s is the weakest from the three, concept and execution imo

Funny fact, though, that i-D goes for an all-female issue while on their facebook newsline it's very often about "gender does not exist".

Indie mags like i-D have two great loves-both of them Tumblr-based: gender theory and femenism. So it happens that you can't always be coherent with both.

I see Pop magazine responded to this "all women" concept on their Instagram today....

No Vinoodh Matadin, no matter..... Just don't mention him!

i-D just makes it up as it goes along. Owned by Vice and copying the recent spirits of both Teen Vogue and, most obviously, Pop..... Whatever sells to their big corporate ad agency paymaster$$$.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->