i-D Pre-Fall 2016 'The Female Gaze Issue' : Adwoa Aboah

Indie mags like i-D have two great loves-both of them Tumblr-based: gender theory and femenism. So it happens that you can't always be coherent with both.

I guess you can also add Instagram-inspired stuff to their current loves. I know being coherent isn't fashion mags forte but couldn't resist pointing out what I understood as some major contradiction to some point. I'm not against the all-female photographer cast, most of my favorite photographers are actually women from the newer ones like Charlotte Wales, Harley Weir or Brianna Capozzi to some all-time faves like Sarah Moon or Vivane Sassen but somehow it disturbs me that Vinoodh got literally "kicked out" of this issue because he is no woman. I mean why not Inez alone, artistically it can be interesting to see if there will be any difference but they are a team, working as a team like forever and this magazine always wants to be the first to fight against gender discrimination. So, it feels at least awkward with a disturbing smell of poor marketing behind (saying this I don't ignore it's just indie by its name and not really "independent" or genuinely "independent-spirited" ... but still).

The Icons

Photographer - Amy Troost
Stylist - Alastair McKimm
Casting - Angus Munro
Hair - Cim Mahony
Makeup - Lucy Burt
Models - Freja Beha Erichsen, Christina Kruse, Doutzen Kroes, Cameron Russell, Milla Jovovich, Joan Smalls, Guinevere van Seenus, Carmen Kass, Alex Wek, Hannelore Knuts, Mini Anden, Sasha Pivovarova, Vivien Solari, Amber Valletta, Kirsten Owen, Jamie Bochert, Liya Kebede, Karmen Pedaru, Jessica Miller, Anja Rubik.

streeters

She's Eclectic

Photographer - Letty Schmiterlow
Fashion Editor/Stylist - Julia Sarr-Jamois
Casting - Angus Munro
Makeup - Nami Yoshida
Hair - Alex Brownsell
Model - Lindsey Wixson

streeters

I Should Have Gone Fishing

Hanna Moon - Photographer
Caroline Newell - Fashion Editor/Stylist