Identity "theft"

Gucci has no longer an image with all of the nutty transitioning. Seems like Versace is starting romp in that territory, but nevertheless it still has the "Versace" image. Just less. And Alexander McQueen sort of looked like Versace for a moment with the Greco-Roman influences, but I think some of that stuff Donatella would never come up with (ie the white dress on Stam)

Can I throw the whole NYC fashion week for designers without identity -with a couple of exceptions-?

ultramarine said:
Can I throw the whole NYC fashion week for designers without identity -with a couple of exceptions-?
Absolutely, you must

I know I have posted in this thread before, but....
the more I think about it the more I realize that many of the veteran houses really do not have an established "look" or theme to their designs.
Perhaps they were wonderful dressmakers, or they were able to accomodate someone's else's look to their clients needs', but they themselves did not leave anything distinctively lasting..or perhaps it has not stood the test of time-
Nina Ricci, Patou (closed now anyways), Balmain, Lanvin (arguable), Jacques Fath, Rochas, Guy Laroche, Louis Feraud, and Kenzo. Givenchy is a draw; there is a definite demure quality to most of his work, but some calll it Balenciaga-lite.

The most identifiable- I can't believe we missed these -
Schiaparelli, Courreges, Alix Gres and Paul Poiret.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walter Van Beirendonck has a very strong identity...I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet.

Can I throw the whole NYC fashion week for designers without identity -with a couple of exceptions-

I think just the opposite. Simplicity and wearability are the hallmarks of many of the New York design collections. They know what their customers want and deliver year after year which is why they stay in business and don't experience the turmoil we see with some of the European design houses who are always lookng for the next big fad designer of the moment.The likes of Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, De La Renta, Herrera., Anna Sui, Vera Wang and Calvin Klein all have indentifiable styles.

No identity: Calvin Klein...if you asked me what the 'calvin klein' look was honestly I wouldn't have a clue what to say, Issey Miyake (current stuff...no real identity to me), Donna Karan, Alexander McQueen menswear....

Strongest sense of identity: Yohji Yamamoto, Ralph Lauren, Giorgio Armani, Hedi Slimane for Dior Homme (not so much YSL...that was like the blueprint), Tom Ford for Gucci and YSL, John Galliano, DSquared, Dolce & Gabbana

I'm honestly surprised so many people think Calvin Klein has no real identity. I think the complete opposite but that's just my opinion.

I personally think Calvin Klein has a strong identity.. on the runway it might just not.. the in your face kind of identity..

some with real identity: Chanel, cavalli, Versace (atleast the dresses), Dior, Marc Jacobs

I think it is impossible for a designer to have no identity. The question is whether or not you like that identity not whether it exists. Stella McCartney is a prime example of this. She has consistently shoddy and bland designs but crucially it is consistent.

^ Oh and it is impossible for Houses to have an overriding identity because there will be too many designers involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mooncholly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->