Designers with diffusion lines

i dont wear designer clothes, only vintage ones bought for next to nothing and soooo well made, i'm such a no-designer freak (maybe just beause i work in fashion and know what gets produced where and how? :rolleyes: )

anyway, diffusion lines are supposed to be the 'grab-the-money-and-go' trick designed especialy for those 'low budget' incurable label-statue addicts. Most diffusion lines are real bad quality and yes, i find them VERY damaging to the 'statue' of 'luxury' labels. Good examples of how diffusion destroys prestige/ Think of CavinK and DonnaK their 'secondary' lines really wiped them out.

the question with diffusion, is "if you can actually sell cheaper, why dont you sell cheaper all your lines all the time?".
but see... the hype the hype, it needs to be expensive to be good, i can afford BIG bucks labels, i'm better than you-look what i have on... :sick: sooo dated, sooooo not chic, soooo not me.

my fave diffusion -even though i'm not a customer- is miu miu (by far), some from Margiela, the CDG shirt and home lines and :blush: shoes from Marc MJ.

Same here I'm not a designer addict. I just buy what can last long and can be mixed with my wardrobe, and alot of vinatge. The vintage clothes are so much better than the clothes beign produced now.

Before you could tell the difference between a Saint Laurent, Chanel and Balenciaga pant buy just looking at it, now almost any pant can pass for any brand if you switch the label ,execept for a few like Ghesquiere and Mcqueen.

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 8th, 2003 - 3:34 am

my fave diffusion -even though i'm not a customer- is miu miu (by far), some from Margiela, the CDG shirt and home lines and :blush: shoes from Marc MJ.
cdg has a home line!!!!!!?????????

they sure do spacemiu, its a basic clothes line to wear at home but apart from a few pieces found in their london cdg store it's distributed mainly in Tokyo.

so true igni, vintage clothes are much better quality both in fabric and construction details.

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 8th, 2003 - 3:34 am
i dont wear designer clothes, only vintage ones bought for next to nothing and soooo well made, i'm such a no-designer freak (maybe just beause i work in fashion and know what gets produced where and how? :rolleyes: )

I always seem to come in at the tail end of everything, :blush: but Lena what do you mean by what gets produced and how?

Are you refering to mass produced items made somewhere where they get really cheap labour, yet still charge exorbitant prices because of the label?

I must admit, that sort of thing really annoys me and I avoid designers who try and pull that one.

this really confused me........

i was in versace yesturday looking for some on the s/s2003 trousers with the zips everywhere.....and i came accross a pair in the main line 'versace' for £90
i also found a pair from the 'versace jeans couture' like for £120

how outrageous is that.....they were charging more.....for a worse cut, less detail and cheaper material :wacko:

Tacky labels are like that . . . they think they're customers won't mind because it's 'Versace' and all . . . so if I were you buy from labels who take care of there image and don't have diffusion lines just to earn money cause if it's for that reason don't expect to find quality there! :wink:

Best Investments:
Helmut Lang
Ann Demeulemeester
Rick Owens
Prada or Miu Miu
Hermes

Originally posted by ignitioned32@Jun 6th, 2003 - 1:44 pm
What up with that? Baby doll by MJ . . . . :sick:

You'll never guess who has 5 diffusion lines: Oscar de la Renta! :o

For Women:
Pink Label
Oscar Jeans
Oscar
For men:
Suits and Formal
Oscar sports
Oscar Jeans
Oscar Boys
but it's only sold in the central america?

That's disgusting a society designer with Sports and Jeans label? Much better to hear from a hip designer!

What's up with that? Are designers trying to trick us or something, by selling diffusion labels outside their country? Suddenly Manolo Blahnik has a diffusion line called Manolo Blahnik sport which makes patent leather rubber shoes with heels, and is sold only Botswana or any other non-fashion country?

We are not getting are money's worth! :angry:
I buy Oscar de la Renta's Oscar. I like the line. I don't see a problem with diffusion. High fashion may be something of an art form, but there's also a business element. Designers, particularly American ones, are capitalists, not artists per se.

Originally posted by charlottesometimes@Jun 9th, 2003 - 12:10 pm

mass produced items made somewhere where they get really cheap labour, yet still charge exorbitant prices because of the label?

exactly chick :wink:

'worth' it 'real' designers clothes are usually by less known designers, who still make clothes 'hard' to manufacture and cannot afford producing mass production diffusion lines. A D&G t-shirt can easiy be made in Algiers or Pakistan, but a Veronique Branquinho skirt can only be made in a small atelier demamnding hours of work :wink: I cannot seriously see any huge difference between some low/quo diffusion lines and some premium Zara cheepos.

I don't really see Miu Miu as a diffusion line anymore, because as someone stated before, the designer takes good care of it and actually designs it. Same with Emporio Armani, and I am in no way a fan of EA or Giorgio himself - but he does design this line and, I have heard that it wasn't even a diffusion line (according to GA), but rather a different line. Again, not defending him, just repeating what I've heard
Also, ultra-diffusion lines (D&G, JEANS COUTURE, SPORT LINES, JEAN LINES, ETC) should just...die :smile:

ignitioned32 said:
im being absolutely serious.....

havent u seen the shirts with the YSL logo? :lol: plain ugly, just like the ralph lauren ones! [/b]
Ya i know about the RL ones but are'nt the YSL logo shirts fake?[/quote]

YSL had a UK licence for men's sportswear (trainers, jeans, sweats...) and the "pour homme" line of suits...all horrible, I thought they stopped most of that crap after the Gucci takeover, but maybe there was too much shite in the storage, cause it's been gracing the outlets for years...

Last edited by a moderator:
i do think that a lot diffusion lines water down the main line. DKNY, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, in my eyes, are not high fashion anymore because of how mainstream the name is. thre are some other diffusion brands that are just THERE and dont really do anything for the line, like Red by Valentino or M Missoni. of course, there are some stars in this situation like Miu Miu, Marc, and even Moschino Cheap&Chic

confused - D&G not Dolce Gabanna?

I am so confused, can someone explain is D&G a different brand to Dolce and Gabanna, is it a coincidence that they have the same initials?

Dolce and Gabanna are the designers behind D&G. just like Roberto Cavali has " Just Cavali" and Gorgeo Armani has " Armani Exchange" , Dolce and Gabanna have " D&G". After their first collection in 1986, the brand expanded to have two main clothing lines—the couture Dolce & Gabbana where the glamourous dresses that stars wear are found and the younger, more informal D&G where you find the tops and jeans.

i hope this explains.

D&G is a diffusion line and is a cheaper more mass produced line than Dolce and Gabbana. It is unlikely that it is still designed by them (prob. a team of designers with dolce and gabbana's input) and it is shown on the runway

Thanks for correcting that Meg. don't they also have DG which is different than D&G? is that also a cheaper more mass produced line?

It's so hard to tell. I'm not sure if they do or not. They do have other diffusion lines i'm sure. I just try to avoid them all in general :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimsplayhard
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->