Imitation Of Christ ss05

interesting. I've been working on some designs of my own the the 05 season...It's interesteing to see how much of the same page I am on with working designers. I don't know if it is a good thing that i had similar ideas with IoC or not.

The collection did not impress me but it's very much Imitation of Christ! it did not drift away from what Ms Subkoff always does.

You know,I'm glad these past few collections have resulted in such a bland,incohesive manner. Perhaps,this might be a perfect example to those disillusioned and realize she is not the designer she arrogantly expresses herself as.

some of it looks very helmut land [group of models] marc jacobs [blue sequined] and sass and bide
but over all i would say it's much more interesting than last seasons. ugh what a bore.

Originally posted by model_mom@Sep 8 2004, 08:38 PM
Ali was int IOC's show Fall/winter2003. It was on the pier inside a skating rink. It was a hugh circus production . I spent so much time watching the show that I forgot to look at the clothes.
[snapback]359997[/snapback]​

I remember that. Everyone was so pissed because it was like -30 below zero that day and it was held in an outdoor venue. UGH!

Originally posted by pennyfei@Sep 8 2004, 08:03 PM
The collection did not impress me but it's very much Imitation of Christ! it did not drift away from what Ms Subkoff always does.
[snapback]360052[/snapback]​

really?...and what is that exactly???...rip off other designers...???

no really... what does ms. subkoff...'always' do...because i fail to see it and maybe you could shed some light... :blink: :unsure:

I really do like several of the pieces, but overall, eh.

I loved last season. :blush: It may have been fairly plain jane, but it was so simple and retro.

wwd-

Imitation of Christ: Wednesday’s showing of Tara Subkoff’s two lines, Imitation and Imitation of Christ, raised some questions. But these are not of the deep political and philosophical bent that the designer seems to think her work provokes. Rather, they’re more in the vein of, “Why do we keep coming to this show?”

This season’s schtick waxed political with flags hung above the runway and a slide show of images from Iraq and Afghanistan, accompanied by a violinist and a schmaltzy piano player crooning stupid lyrics while a George W. Bush impersonator sat in the first row. Ensconced within this heavy-handed bit of theater were Subkoff’s clothes. For Imitation, these ranged from basic cotton T-shirts, baggy shorts and pants to several versions of the Grecian-inspired tunic that Subkoff shows and wears often, all paired with the gladiator sandals she designed for Easy Spirit.

In fairness, some of these pieces — a beachy, bobble-trimmed Chloé-inspired cotton dress and jersey dresses flocked with gold and silver paillettes — were chic, covetable even. Oh, but that was not the case with 10 or so Imitation of Christ dresses that looked as if they were fashioned from colored mops. And none of it made any sense against the backdrop. The time may have come when Subkoff has squandered her cachet with the fashion industry. Or, to pose another question, do we really want in on this joke anymore?

too 'now' influences seem to be from last season.......the second dress reminded me of LV.

i would wear it if it was given to me. other than that....:mellow:

Originally posted by PradaP@Sep 8 2004, 11:52 PM
wwd-
[snapback]360374[/snapback]​

thanks for posting pradap...it's about time the press said what we've all been saying... :P

I actually enjoy her collections - without going too deep into whether or not they are original, or make a statement, there are always some nice pieces.

Wow, is this terrible or what? Bye, Tara!!!

Haha! Hopefully she'll be hauled off to the looney bin soon:

00980f.jpg

She looks like she's about ready to go, IMO. :lol:

I HATED the heavy-handed political business. But then again we can't expect an amateur like Tara to handle any topic in a nuanced and subtle fashion.

Of course, style.com chimes in with a praising puff piece:

NEW YORK, September 8, 2004 – For the first time, Tara Subkoff headed for the tents to show her Imitation and Imitation of Christ collections. While the venue was way more traditional than her usual offbeat locales, those who came for the spectacle were treated to as offbeat a show as ever: It opened with men in military garb and Arab tunics walking double file in the dark, while footage from the Iraq war played on a screen behind. Four American flags hung over the audience. Antony, from Antony and the Johnsons, played piano and sang, wearing half drag. A child recited the Pledge of Allegiance. And a disturbingly accurate George W. Bush impersonator sat in the front row. Asked what her message was, Subkoff answered: "I think it's pretty obvious."

It says a lot about the clothes that they were able to withstand such loaded packaging. Subkoff's collections are more and more about wearable separates, with no vintage in sight. This season her simple Capris, hoodies, pompom cover-ups, and spangle-trimmed dresses were as appealing as ever, worn with the insouciant slouch of the disenfranchised hipster—and the gladiator sandals Subkoff designed for Easy Spirit.

The second half of the show featured the Imitation of Christ line, handmade garments that will be available through Jeanne Greenberg Rohaytn's Upper East Side gallery. These exotic goddess looks were stately and pretty at once: Of particular interest were a simple silver pleated dress worn by Ujjwala, and an elegant draped, embroidered shawl. With their intricate pleats and folds, these pieces were clearly related to Subkoff's participation in the Ptychoseis exhibition at the Benaki Museum in Athens.

Whatever antics Subkoff indulges in, she also adheres to her vision—a strong modern woman, not unlike her friend Chloë Sevigny, who sat front row. "I'm very excited to see Tara evolve," said the actress post-show. She's not alone.

– Laird Borrelli

Originally posted by PradaP@Sep 9 2004, 12:52 AM
wwd-
[snapback]360374[/snapback]​

Wow, I'm so surprised to hear a pub like WWD bashing Ms. Subkoff. But thank god someone in the mainstream media finally has the balls to say it. Ugh this collection makes me so angry. I hope to god that Cathy Horyn, Suzy, and all other critics bash the hell out of it.

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Sep 9 2004, 08:06 AM
Wow, I'm so surprised to hear a pub like WWD bashing Ms. Subkoff. But thank god someone in the mainstream media finally has the balls to say it. Ugh this collection makes me so angry. I hope to god that Cathy Horyn, Suzy, and all other critics bash the hell out of it.
[snapback]360743[/snapback]​

Bashing? Looks like they praise her. Cathy and Suzy, well, you know they love EVERYTHING :lol: BUY,BUY,BUY!!!!

No, the WWD article above was bashing. I think you confused it with the style.com thing, faust.

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Sep 9 2004, 08:26 AM
No, the WWD article above was bashing. I think you confused it with the style.com thing, faust.
[snapback]360752[/snapback]​

oops, my bad :flower:

haveing looke dta teh whole collection i would say

My favorite thing is the barber wire print ( wich junya did last spring for MAN :rolleyes: )

But the more casual clothes are intresting anof, I could deffinetly see Fred segal selling them if they wernet extreamly over priced

original or not some of the clothes are quite interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->