Indian Wedding Attire

BabyJ

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was invited to a wedding of an employee of my boyfriends and the couple getting married are Indian. I'm pretty sure that they are Pakistan. I heard from someone that I should not wear anything white because that is the colour they use to symbolize death and funerals. Can anyone verify that?

Also what should be worn? I have a very nice pair of lime green dress pants but I feel two things about that.
1. Its very summery, not to be worn in winter
2. The indian guests might think I am mocking them due to prejudices about Pakistans wearing bright colours.

Please help!

People from Pakistan are called Pakistani(s) not Pakistans :flower:

Pakistanis and Indians are two different nationalities and generally two different religions. Hindus are the ones who wear white to funerals. Pakistanis are usually not Hindu but they tend to not wear white to weddings either.
You can wear shalwar kameez in light green, blue or pink. Make sure they're light tones. Also where a ton of jewellry or else you'll feel really left out. Gold Jewellry with nice stones would be best. If you wear silver they may find it a bit odd.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info CelineChic. :smile: Sorry about my errors, I hope that doesn't make me appear ignorant...thats why I asked the questions.

I am not exactly sure what this lady is. I think that my boyfriend did say that she was Pakistani. At first I was going to wear my winter white suit but after I heard that it was for a funeral I decided against it. My other idea is my cream colour pants and brown tube top (very dressy) with a nice shrug ontop of it but I don't know if they consider brown to be depressing.

No, it doesn't make you appear ignorant. I find a lot of Quebec people don't know much about Indian and Pakistani culture. It's unfortunate because Pakistanis and Indian make up a pretty good population of Montreal and they have some great traditions, clothing and of course food :blush:

If you wear the tube top, elegant or not you cannot show any cleavage. Thats a pretty big "no no"

If you want to fit in I suggest you wear lots of colour. But if you dont it is still ok. They'll see that you're white :P

Pakistanis are not judgemental at all, they'll be happy that you came and if they like you they'll probably give you colorful scarves and fabric and wrap you in them.

I've been to a few hindu and pakistani weddings and if someone doesn't have a lot of jewellry we usually give them some of ours and share.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi baby
u can pretty much wear whatever you want for the indian wedding..or pakistani
as long as u dont show any skin...no tubes...like celine said..
but with colors it doesnt really matter.you can wear jewelry if u want to......but its not necessary...its just that the indian weddings are very opulent...and mostly evryones loaded with gold......but then its eventually ur choice....you can wear silver..fakes whatever u want ......
only thing u must not expose too much of ur skin ...

Hi Baby,
CelineChic is right, they would be just happy to have you there. I would suggest you to wear what is natural and comfortable to you, and not try to wear anything Indian/paktistani to fit in. You will definitely stand out irrespective of what you wear. So I would suggest you be comfortable with what you wear. I have a lot of Indian friends and I know they would be happy to welcome and show off a white invitee to their other friends. So it is better to wear what comes naturally to you and be your natural self. But yes, do not show much skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->