Industrial Design

speaker made of dried bread
http://www.designboom.com/contest/view.php?contest_pk=6&item_pk=2612&p=1

image_trigo_1.jpg

Can you explain the honey-pop? Is it just a strong material?

christmas tree Fernando and Humberto Campana

favela_tree_480.jpg

vase

mossonline

seraphelle said:
Can you explain the honey-pop? Is it just a strong material?

i admitt, after you asked me i was confused about this chair. i don't really understand it other than it's similar to a paper party decoration when it is pulled apart, but i don't really understand how much strength it has...

sorry i can't be more helpful!

^^^I looked up glassine paper because of that chair...

"Glassine paper is a supercalendered paper manufactured principally from chemical wood pulps which have been beaten to secure a high degree of stock hydration. Glassine paper is grease resistant, has a high resistance to the passage of air, and is almost impervious to the passage of water vapor. "

I dont think the material is neccesarily(sp?) super strong, but the honeycomb would distribute the weight. Kinda like a bed of nails, or walking on a dozen eggs. Good conceptually but in actual use (in a home etc...) may be problematic, because we know nobody sits still all the time.

^ good explanation. I spoke w/ jameson about the chair, and he basically said the same thing...

funtimepartyteam, i wonder if this concept/ material/ similar process etc could be a applied to an object OTHER than a chair. like a bookcase or something that is meant to be ready to assemble. something which makes use of it's 'fragile' properities. i'm thinking about the architect shigeru ban who uses cardboard ....

Well I think it might be nice to use it as a pendant lamp. You could change the material to a thin sheet plastic (pp maybe?) and heat weld them together to get the same type of collapseable design, something like this:

676a.jpg

maybe...

Ill think of something else too, just give me a couple min.

hm. did you ever see those flowery plastic cups i made for exhibit class? I took plastic folders, cut them up... I forgot if they were PEG or PTEG...and heat sealed them closed. it worked fairly well, but for long term use it would need to be more water resistent. any hoo, i wish i had a bunch of plastic and that heat sealer contraption to experiement....

what about a hand bag? i guess we are going into origami territory...

i have lots of pics to post frm london design festival 2005 !
i will post them soon ! :lol:

i miss this thread so much, while i went through 16 pages of great design, i found we need some works from...... "THE Industrial Designer- Philippe Starck"

Baccarat, Darkside collection by Philippe Starck

p05070112_01.jpg
p05070112_03.jpg

Left:Black Angel Right: Aie!

p05070112_04.jpg

Zenith Chandelier

source: she.com

Last edited by a moderator:
travolta said:
excerpt from the hella interview...

LOUISE "You’re presumably familiar with the traditional Chinese and Japanese practice of repairing broken pottery with gold laquer. Throwing things away isn’t an option, and the defect becomes a thing of beauty in its own right."

it reminds me how martha stewart is so popular...she constantly picks up on customs, traditions we no longer remember and recycles them into the same form or a more contemporary form...

Great idea, but wouldn't this leak though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuffed-animal chairs (Fernando & Humberto Campana) :lol: :heart: :heart:

alligatorschair480.jpg

campana_bear_chair_480.jpg

mossonline.com

i love those chairs, jennifer. i am a fan of most of their work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->