Industrie No. 2 : Marc Jacobs by Patrick Demarchelier

i don't know what that article is trying to prove, anyway when i first heard of it, i was really intrigued and thought it would offer some sort of analysis, they seem to be stuck on the negative side, only selected the bad/negative comments on the models threads and so on......
i do feel that in the last year people have gotten more bitchy/negative (i'm referring to magazines here), but only because they have really high expectations, and since i payed double price for a magazine i think i'm entitled to an opinion.:huh:
tfs has great users, people with great ideas and different points of view, it's always a pleasure reading their comments.:blush:

i like these:

silent assassins
If other people have got time to sit around commenting on stuff that people are making, good luck to them!

Last edited by a moderator:
The tFS article smacks of bitterness. If a person chooses to earn their living from a publicly viewable creative endeavour, then they should expect criticism. They don't have to take it to heart or believe all of it. Negative comments are part of the game and everyone gets them now and again. But if a whole thread dedicated to a certain collection is filled with negative comments slamming it, makes you wonder as to the clothes' quality, doesn't it?

We may be amateurs (unpaid fashion appreciators), but to say that our comments are uniformly worthless and hurtful is a gross generalisation. Short, stupid comments like "this collection is s**t" are unhelpful, but there are many thoughtful and intelligent comments as well. But, I don't think comments here should be censored to protect these precious peoples' sensibilities. Everyone has the right to an opinion especially that these creative people are trying to get us to buy their clothes or their magazines. I am a consumer and these fashionistas can chose to listen to my opinion or not; they can take advantage of the free consumer feedback or storm off in a huff.

Plus, I don't think a designer or stylist would be complaining (anonymously) if their threads were filled with positive comments praising their creativity and originality, whether they were inane or intelligent comments. tFS posters not only deride bad work, but also celebrate great work. It is also internet users like us that spread niche fashion ideas and publicise these previously non-mainstream people through our blogs and tumblrs. Who do you think buys magazines like Industrie anyway? It's certainly not the average person who just likes shopping, it's people who are interested in all facets of fashion, like tFS users.

there's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but I agree that this article seem to focus only on the negative and not the users that really have something to say with a different point of view rather than "this is bad/this is good."

I think the fashion world should consider the fact that not only are we a community of people of diverse backgrounds that are commentators but WE ARE THE CONSUMER! As long as we buy the magazines, the clothes, the fragrances, etc. we should be entitled to our opinion no matter how mundane, because in the end we are the people buying their product. I would think that some aspects of this forum are very helpful to them in determining how well their products are being received by the people.

but I agree with BerlinRocks that I would have liked to have seen more statistics regarding the different types of people that are members here at TFS as well as the advertisers and editors that use TFS.

Having made some enquiries - at style magazines, PR companies, model agencies and design studios - it soon became clear that no shortage of folks admit to checking up on what is being posted about their toils or those of their cohorts and rivals. 'I was talking about this to my flatmate just last night,' admits Dean Mayo Davies, assistant editor at i-D. 'I do look now and then to see what inane rants are going on. The Fashion Spot is a total guilty pleasure, isn't it? I haven't been slagged off yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time…'

I thought this particular quote was hilarious considering the backlash that the latest issue of i-D magazine received. in this way, couldn't/shouldn't TFS be used as a tool for these people of the "style magazines, PR companies, model agencies and design studios" as a way to tell how people are receiving their product?

i do feel that in the last year people have gotten more bitchy/negative (i'm referring to magazines here), but only because they have really high expectations, and since i paye
I'm not sure about the expectations, I feel like it does have gotten a little bitchy (and I include myself on that) partly for our current demographics but mainly for the fact that there really aren't that many good magazines lately, I can only think of AnOther, Encens, Grey... [having a hard time here].. it's really difficult to find a magazine that is so good it earns everyone's praise and that is not full of gimmicks (like, let's just say it.. Love) and it's way harder to comment on something good and trying to omit your thoughts on the fact that most current magazines are so creatively strangled or vapid that their positive side usually consists of a 30% only.. the rest of their content is.. "boring", to say the least, it may be entertaining for the friends of the friends of the editor (again, Love is an example) but for a reader interested in fashion and indifferent to names or relationships, the s*it quality seriously smacks you in the face when you open these magazines.. and ultimately you comment on it because you care.

Many posters subsequently insisted that a magazine such as Industrie couldn't flourish without the likes of The Fashion Spot, because the forum has helped propagate a mainstream interest in fashion - fair enough. None the less, some of those same posters - often quick to criticise the efforts of undeniably talented and internationally in-demand stylists, photographers, editors, designers and so on - did not appear to like having their own shortcomings so eloquently exposed. 'If it wasn't for TFS, would Katie Grand even be well known enough to have an article in Industrie?' asked 'nyc art style', rather naively.
This comment I made in the previous Industrie thread, was not a really directed at Katie Grand. Obliviously she's worthy of a feature in any magazine. Most tfs-ers know that. Also I have a tremendous respect for the longevity of her career. Her work at Pop and The Face especially stand out.

What I meant by my comment was, if it wasn't for TFS would Industrie had realized so quickly that they had a demographic to sell to? Would they had even known that there are thousands of people out there who actually decipher and study people like Katie Grand's work?

And I said that, right after the comment Industrie chose to quote.

Actually could a magazine like Industrie even exist without sites like tfs? They wouldn't know they had a market would they? They can't actually sell to the industry, everyone working in fashion already knows most of this information.
But alas what's done is done. And I kind of like the naive description. Naive, yet I'm in print. (thanks for the signature inspiration)

The reason I joined this forum was to learn. I find it hard to phantom that anyone could assume TFS is just a place where people come to bash hard working people in the industry.

TFS has taught me so much about Magazines, Designers, Editors, Models, and the like. I've learned things on this forum that my peers in real life don't seem to know. I'm grateful that I've found an outlet for research and at times hearty discussion about all things fashion. It saddens me that anyone could look down their nose at that.

It is almost as though the article was written to stick their tongues out at tFS and go "nah nah nah nah"

Without a doubt, I thought the same. They'll be waiting with anticipation to read feedback on the article here. Watch your mouths :shifty:!

The writer sounds like he wants revenge, or some sort of compensation for all the "damage" we've caused. If we're so insignificant then why is there an article about us? Isn't it kinda self-defeating? It's quite immature really.

I really think it's a shame that the article seems to make reference to the idea that TFSers are a bunch of obsessed, drooling (uninformed) sycophants that no one should listen to nor care about yet those same critics get upset enough to get defensive about what is said on forums.

More emphasis should have been placed on the worth of TFS as an extensive fashion archive, especially for magazines. I don't buy magazines after browsing a newsstand, I do so because I've seen it on TFS and am aware of the contents, good or bad. I have read comments from others about the quality of the magazine, I can see previews of it and ask questions. Where else is this accomplished? Where else can I find a group of people just like me, who share my interests and feed my enthusiasm? Certainly not the man working behind the counter at my local magazine store... I don't think he likes me much. I ask for too many damn magazines.

Wow, I may have to reread the article again, because I didn't think it was that vicious at all? Tongue-in-cheek, perhaps, but all in all I think the writer achieved his actual agenda of spurring on the commentary/critiques in this very thread :lol:

Wow, I may have to reread the article again, because I didn't think it was that vicious at all? Tongue-in-cheek, perhaps
It's not so much the article as I think it is the quotes from the industry people that are, neither vicious nor harsh, but simply dismissive (and maybe passive aggressive).

but all in all I think the writer achieved his actual agenda of spurring on the commentary/critiques in this very thread
Ha! No kidding. Not to mention I'll be picking up my copy soon. :lol:

i'm making myself a good cup of tea and going to read my Industrie, which I just got at colette!

The writer sounds like he wants revenge, or some sort of compensation for all the "damage" we've caused. If we're so insignificant then why is there an article about us? Isn't it kinda self-defeating? It's quite immature really.

Clearly, there was a glass between the writer of this article and tFS (was it the computer screen glass because he couldnt get an invite to join? Maybe thats why the article cam off so bitter).

I think the article displays tFS as a democratic fashion forum who has the pulse on some fashion related issues (models) and some are not.

Still, with my comment about the glass, the writer just looked but didnt touch ... didnt contact anyone from the forums so I think its a bit lopsided (or however you are supposed to write it).

To wrap things up ... it is the first article devoted to theFashionSpot as a subject ... so yay for the mag and lets expect this becomes a trend (with a bit more input from people who KNOW/post here).

PS The fashion spot isnt just industry ppl .. I cant believe he didnt interview a model .. or someone with an immense post count! Pfft!

i must say that as much as i do love the archival aspect of tfs, there is a lot of naivete in respects to the comments, attitudes and, sometimes, basic knowledge of the fashion industry with some members. i realize that many of the members are younger and possibly don't work inside the industry so i generally take it with a grain of salt. the one thing that troubles me about this site is the negativity. the comments made about poses etc. are very naive and seem to be based more on what people see on shows like "america's next top model" rather than what actually occurs on a set. the endless comments about fonts over pictures on magazines cover is also interesting - our industry (high fashion/art) is a small tribe - most of the beautiful, arty publications never sustain a market and end up fading away over time - anyone remember the amazing magazine "dutch"? those screaming headlines usually sell the magazines - trust me there is so much research and money spent on what sells and why it's shocking. i have a blog that i've done for about a year now - i try to never put anything negative or ugly on it - if i don't like it i make a statement by not posting about it. there's enough ugliness in the world - i don't need to add to it so therefore, i try to skim over the negative aspects and enjoy the easy access to publications that i would most likely never get to see without spending hours at a newsstand or seeing campaigns & shows instantly or even researching models etc. everyone has a right to their opinion and interests but i'd like to see more positivity. cheers!

^Not only the negativity towards the content, but several of the users on tFS are super rude to other members. I think that's so ridiculous, I didn't sign up to see members go back and forth about whose dumb and whose opinion is wrong, I came for the same reason as you- to see the contents that I couldn't find anywhere else. I think if everyone thought twice about what they were posting, they might not post it. I, in a way, understand where the author is coming from, because to see the way some people dismiss an entire issue of a magazine because of who is on the cover (how much text there is, the pose, etc.) is really sad. I buy magazines even when my least favorite celebrity or model is on the cover because it's the content that matters to me and the fact that I collect certain magazines by every issue. I understand how someone in the industry can get frustrated by the comments made on here because they spend millions of dollars on ONE photoshoot and someone says "UGLY!!!" or "horrible." It really is ridiculous. Sorry this is so long, I've just been wanting to say this for a while :smile: Hahaha.

What incredible delusions of grandeur the people behind this magazine have.

Still, with my comment about the glass, the writer just looked but didnt touch ... didnt contact anyone from the forums so I think its a bit lopsided (or however you are supposed to write it).

Absolutely. I'm surprised it didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it.

Finally got the issue. It's lovely to see it bound nicely. None of that awful masking tape spine like last night. A proper, real binding is on it this issue. And a nice thick glossy cover also.

The TFS article is very meta. Anyway, I think most people could've guessed that editors, designers, assistants...they all check out this forum to get feedback about what they're doing. I interned at a magazine recently and people in the office absolutely checked out this forum. There are a lot of interesting opinions and conversations taking place -- for the most part. Fashionista quoted TFS for quick reaction to the new Vogue Russia and how poorly received it has been on here. This forum is a good way to gauge people's immediate reactions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->