Invisible Monsters

TokyoVogue

Reaction score
Since this is a Fashion forum....this is major suggested reading.
Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
It's about a girl who was once this beautiful model but then became this invisible monster.

Here are some qoutes:

~some famous fashion photographer is telling me how to feel.
he's yelling, give me lust baby.
flash.
give me malice.
flash.
give me detached existentialist ennui.
flash.
give me rampant intellectualism as a coping mechanism

~Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.

~The only reason why we ask other people how their weekend was is so we can tell them about our own weekend

~I'm only doing this because it's just the biggest mistake I can think to make.

~Game shows are designed to make us feel better about the random, useless facts that are all we have left of our education.

~When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves

~your folks are like God because you want to know they're still out there and you want them to approve of your life, still you only call them when you're in crisis and need something

~if i can't be beautiful, i want to be invisible.

~nudity is the most boring thing in the entire world.

~What it boils down to is professional modeling means getting paid to overreact to stuff like rice cakes and new shoes

~Almost all the time, you tell yourself your loving somebody, when your just using them.

~ I wanted to explode my comfort zone

~ This only looks like generosity

~It wasnt horrible, but it wasnt love

~Anymore, when I see the picture of a twenty-something in the newspaper who was abducted and sodomized and robbed and then killed and here's a front-page picture of her young and smiling, instead of me dwelling on this being a big, sad crime, my gut reaction is, wow, she'd be really hot if she didn't have such a big honker of a nose. My second reaction is I'd better have some good head and shoulder shots handy in case I get, you know, abducted and sodomized to death. My third reaction is, well, at least that cuts down on the competition."

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of my favorite books, ever. I love the way Chuck Palahniuk writes- just when you think his books are going in one direction, they go somewhere completely different.
I'm not sure if these quotes are exact because I read the book probably 2 years ago, but I've always remembered:
"the one you love and the one who love you are never, ever the same person."
"no matter how much you think you love someone, you'll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close."

amazing book.

yah i think those qoutes are exact
this is my favorite CP book as well
the thing with Palahniuk is that he's truthful, a little too truthful...but he's absolutely genuine, theres no bullsh*t with him
have you read his other works?

of the three or four I've read of his, that one is the best.

oh i loved choke too ,but i felt like the characters in Invisible monsters were more...like me. hah.

hahaha

sex addict or model

hrm yah i think Invisible Monsters wins that one

have you read lullaby? I've been wondering how that rates comparably.

Lullaby is boring
it's not up to snuff like his first books
Fight club is the beginning and one of the best
and Survivor is amazing as well

an old high school buddy introduced me to this book yearssss ago. needless to say, I'm a fan of his work. Invisible monsters is a GREAT book.

I could go on and on about Invisible Monsters. It's my fav of his, but I love everything with the exception of Diary, which was good, but not great. He has a work of non-fiction out that I've been wanting to get....maybe I'll visit the book store tomorrow.

shoelady--"no matter how much you think you love someone, you'll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close."

this quote is so beautiful it makes me cringe

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Survivor got the greenlight to be made into a movie and choke is trying to be made.
And Invisible Monsters is trying to get made as well i think by Jesse Peyronel

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->