Is gender-neutral fashion the future?

For something to become "gender-neutral" it's not just a matter of a guy grabbing a skirt and wearing it out on the street. It's a matter of social acceptance, society and social boundaries will decide whether a skirt will eventually become gender neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:
isnt the brand *the koobles* unisex? the label is not available in my country however i have seen ads for it in british vogue/british elle. their ads feature couples wearing the same item.

does anyone know anything about how the brand is selling?

isnt the brand *the koobles* unisex? the label is not available in my country however i have seen ads for it in british vogue/british elle. their ads feature couples wearing the same item.

does anyone know anything about how the brand is selling?

Yes the Kooples is unisex, I have yet to buy anything from them but in the merchandising in store is blurred with no distinct 'men's' or 'women's' section despite also stocking heels etc. They're everywhere in Paris and in Selfridges they're actually located on the men's floor, from the looks of things it's very popular.

I would like to see more gender-neutral fashions, I thought Kanye looked pretty good in Celine, and I'm a big fan of women in masculine attire.

I think because (quoting "The Social Network") "fashion never ends", we can't surmise much from the current moment about the future. Fashion is always evolving, but always also metonymically touching back upon the past too. And as we know, fashion goes through phases when the demarcation between "gendered" clothing is very strong, and other phases where the line is more blurry (think of the dandies, Oscar Wilde, but rock bands in the 60s, too; or what about glam rock? or visual kei bands, etc.... or think of Marlene Dietrich in her suits or Coco in pants and sweaters, or Katherine Hepburn). Androgyny is not new or old. It's socio-cultural movements that shift with the sands of time, and those reflect in the ever shifting fashion world. To try to predict the future of fashion is, imo, like trying to catch a fly with chopsticks. Not easy. :wink:

Im up for the androgynous look on both boys and girls. Some of my fave fashion icons very much fit into that category (think Tilda Swinton and lately Andrej Pejic).

I do not know about if its the future but I think perception is changing .. yes, women can get away with everything and a guy on a skirt is still taboo but we are working towards it ..

On a more personal note ... Im a size 28 waist, whcih means 98% of the pants/bottoms I own come from womenswear collections .. and i borrow heavily from my girlfriends closets every chance I can .. I think the secret is just to do it one piece at a time and not go overkill if you are a guy :smile:

It already is happening more and more and I for one am most disappointed.

I crave the 30s - 60s feminine blouses and skirts. Here is to hoping we men folks dont go there, lets leave the skirts to the scots :D

Women are allowed to have fun with anything. Men stopped doing the "womenswear" type thing...now its coming back around. I'm going to say it has something to do with androgynous men who exist in the media! Andrej is a great example!

I think gender-neutral fashion is now, because a t-shirt is a t-shirt, a shirt is a shirt, trousers are trousers, a jacket is a jacket etc. There are very few items that are wholly gender-specific, as is the case with skirts, and I think that will always be the case. I along with many others I'm sure would happily wear (or have happily worn), for example, a women's shirt or jacket, regardless of if it was from the women's collection.

I'd really hate for the day to come where designers produce one unisex collection.

Swedish fashion brand, WEEKDAY,
have just launched a gender-neutral collection.

In their own words:
MTWTFSS/HE Capsule Collection SS14.
Welcome to the MTWTFSS/HE capsule collection, a limited showcase of classic pieces from the Weekday wardrobe, reconstructed without a specific gender role.
The MTWTFSS/HE collection will start to arrive in selected stores from week 5, 2014
MTWTFSS/HE Capsule Collection SS14.

Video: https://vimeo.com/76936042

Imo this is a great and I hope more retailers will follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strigi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->