Is wearing a knockoff always a fashion faux-pas?

I think I'm with the majority. I don't like the obviously fake - especially the obviously fake coach/dooney disasters out there.
I do, however, think that inspired pieces are great! I'll buy high quality "inspired-by"
dresses, shoes, bags, whatever. And they're usually things that I love but are in no way going to fit into my budget (Balenciaga Motorcycle bags, Stams, etc).

[FONT=Lucida Handwriting,Cursive]This girl loves a well-made fake!

Ha, I suppose I am part of the tacky pool many in this thread are talking about! While I don't own any designer fakes (yet!), if I do however stumble upon a desired well-made "fake", then yes, if the price is right, without hesitation I would buy it. Personally, I think it's an insult to charge what designers do. I clearly remember seeing a basic cotton ribbed tank top--I forget which designer--selling for $80....on sale nonetheless! A Chloe Sevigny basic black mini skirt retails for approximately $300! That's a crime!

[/FONT][FONT=Lucida Handwriting,Cursive]I think that when one starts worrying about others trying to "pass it off as the real thing" then you are probably dressing for others, or buying it mostly because of the "name." I would secretly love knowing I dished out only $50 for a $500 designer frock! Just as some others have stated, for many of us it is done in tongue-in-cheek. Remember not to take fashion so seriously. It's only clothes. Fashion should be fun! [/FONT]

I bought a real pair of Dior sunglasses on sale at £90, and I can feel people staring at me as if "gads she's wearing fake Dior" and it really p*sses me off because I paid £90 for them and they are real!

I rather just buy something used (BBS) or new within my price range (in this case, its Hobo for now, LOL) than something fake.

I am totally against fakes, I learned it the hard way a few years ago when I bought a fake Love bracelet. It totally gave me an infection on my arm and looked awful after I had had it for a few weeks. It's not worth it!!! I have over the years found various fakes at thrift stores and never used any of them because I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It's sort of like what Carrie says on SATC as she would know. This bugs me too!

I can afford to ruin a $50 knock-off coat versus a $700 designer coat...

I'd be extremely paranoid of my surroundings if I wore something that costs more than 200 dollars tbqh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true.I'm sure it's different for someone who has a lot of money and can afford to be frivolous with it ,but I could not see myself paying for and wearing a piece of clothing that was over a couple hundred dollars.Not when there are so many other more practical things I could use the money for.

However ,knockoffs are iffy.Wearing a look alike of a plain t shirt from The Row, fine.But carrying around an obviously fake Louis Vuitton ,D&B, or Coach bag? That is crossing the line.It's not like Coach is even THAT expensive that an average person wouldn't be able to afford the actual thing.Having a fake Louis Vuitton monogram that doesn't even have the LV symbol on it looks terrible.Don't people know yet that fake bags contribute to terrorism and child labor?

i understand that people cant afford the real thing so i dont mind "inspired by" pieces. plus, some people dont even know they were inspired by some designer. it is a bit annoying that places like forever 21/steve madden who dont try to even put their own twist on a piece.

however, im absolutely against knockoffs. i hate fake lvs, chanels, pradas, whatever. i feel like people who get those labels want them because theyre a status symbol. plus, like the previous poster stated, knockoffs contribute to a lot of shady business. if you really liked the style of a chanel, im sure you could find a quilted bag.

i've considered buying "replica" bags before and after looking into it and finding a near-perfect knockoff balenciaga, i thought about it and was just so turned off. i respect the actual designers and all the work that goes into creating a line, distributing it, etc., and blatant knockoffs really put me in a foul mood. i'm sure designers take alot of pride in their work when a signature style is created...i just think about what would happen if i ran into marc jacobs on the street wearing a fake stam bag. what would he think of me?? i couldn't live with that type of shame!! i say, if you really want a designer bag and you don't have the money either save up or forget about it!

No way. Seeing fake LV bags always makes me cringe :sick: But then I would never buy something with a obvious logo even if I could afford the real thing.

I do believe I saw an ad in either Vogue or Vanity Fair about how buying knock-offs support illegal trafficking and terrorism.

Has anyone else seen this ad in a magazine?

I do believe I saw an ad in either Vogue or Vanity Fair about how buying knock-offs support illegal trafficking and terrorism.

:ermm: Well the same thing was said about buying/downloading music illegally...I think it's a good way for people to stop buying them!

Probably in Bazaar ... they have an ongoing campaign against fakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clubmissy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->