Ridiculous fashion faux pas...

chickadee

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the title is the most apt way to describe what I'm trying to say but it's the only thing I could think of that would come closest. Anyway, here's the deal: I've been into fashion for a little while now but obviously you more seasoned followers/contributors might be able to bring different opinions to the table, but there are certain "fashion faux pas" that I find to be extremely irritating and reek of ethnocentrism.

Hips
For instance, I was watching the Fashion Police on E! (rarely do the people in that room know what they're talking about), but one thing said by George Kotsiopoulos (who I typically agree with, probably because he at least is in the fashion industry unlike those other hacks) really annoyed me. They were talking about Tyra Banks or somebody and he said that she needed different kind of jeans to hide her "wide" or big hips. Now, as a black person, in the black community larger hips are accentuated and celebrated, not hidden. This isn't the first time I've heard or read comments about hips too. And certainly, this attribute is not confined to one race. White actresses, Rachel McAdams springs to mind, have wide hips. I once read a comment on her thread which was something to the effect of her hips are too wide and she needs to cover that up. Seriously?

Height
This is a bit more complicated I guess because models are notoriously tall, but this is something that I can't quite understand either. Height, or even looking short when you are short, is also considered a faux pas. This is something I have more trouble explaining, but I guess it's just when people wear certain boots or jeans, they "cut off their legs" and although sometimes I can see where it looks off, there are certain instances where it honestly looks fine. They simply look shorter and I don't think that should be considered a problem. I know tall is seen as being more elegant and model-esque, which I get, but I can't get behind the banning of short women from certain dresses, usually long gowns. Now wearing something untailored is different from wearing a long gowns. My examples of short women who make it work:

raihipurcell.blogspot
zimbio

Attachments

• rachel_bilson_dior.jpg
    rachel_bilson_dior.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Emily+Browning+Max+Irons+Alexander+McQueen+mHp_rLi-M2Ul.jpg
    Emily+Browning+Max+Irons+Alexander+McQueen+mHp_rLi-M2Ul.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea for this thread but maybe it's more suited for Personal Style than Fashion In Depth?
ETA: Haha, nevermind, it must have been moved while I was typing my reply :P

Anyways, I agree with what you say about short(er) people not having to conceal their height all the time. For example, I never understood why everyone always says short women shouldn't wear skinny jeans with flats. I always loved when people like Nicole Richie, the Olsens or Rachel Bilson wore skinny jeans and ballet flats or gladiators, it looks so cute and I don't see the problem with it not making them look 6 foot tall.

Another thing I'll never understand is those ridiculous push up bras that make your boobs appear two cups bigger than they are. I for one love small boobs and only wear a slightly padded bra if I don't fill out a dress at all. But for everyday wear I don't see any need in trying to make my boobs look bigger. I like them the way they are!

I get that dressing in a way that is flattering for your figure is reasonable but sometimes there are really cute things that you can make look great even if it may not be the most flattering style for you. Like when I wear gladiator sandals or ankle boots with shorts even though my legs are rather short in relation to my upper body...I know it makes my legs look short/shorter than they are but I like the style and I still think I can pull it off, especially because I wear it with confidence which is always a huge factor anyway.

I'm short and I used to think I should wear heels all the time. But nowadays I really love flats!! I'm much more confident with my height now and I think it's ridiculous to try everything to look tall when being short is just part of your natural look... As Psylocke says: it really IS all about confidence!

Thank you guys for replying! :flower: I was kind of afraid I might get jumped on for not understanding the fashion world. But the height thing is pretty close to me, since my mom is short (and the first people who inspired me to love fashion) and she's in her fifties and STILL wears heels. She still works it though! :lol: But I feel like you guys as well. I think fashion is something that should be considered relative, and judged depending on the person.

especially because I wear it with confidence which is always a huge factor anyway.

This. ^^^ Confidence is can make a questionable outfit look ten times more awesome. It's one of the reasons I can't bring myself to like anything Kristen Stewart wears, even if it's a good dress, because she seems so uncomfortable. It's also the ONLY way you can avoid having the clothes wear you.

brown and black! why is this a faux pas?? i understand that it has to potential to look bad... as does anything else we wear!
anne_hathaway_giselle_bunchen_black_brown.bmp

(image from wardrobeoxygen.com)

^^It is no more a faux pas than navy and black. Every year I hear that these two things will be big in fashion and my take is when did they go away?

I'm short, and I love being tiny (unfortunately, nowadays I'm mostly tiny height-wise :wink:). I do think about not wearing dresses or boots that "cuts" my legs, because it makes my legs look short and thick. Not because I want to look tall, cause I never will.

I also agree on the brown/black and navy/black. I think a black outfit with a brown leather bag/belt/shoe looks so great. I have a mulberry bayswater in choclate, and I wear it with black all the time.

.. and that's why I stopped reading Bazaar articles :lol:. I would buy Bazaar all the time when I was a teenager, at the time I was one of the tallest in my class, I went from feeling totally insecure to feeling super confident when reading these articles that described 'impossibly long legs' as this supernatural attribute, but once that was achieved, I started noticing other parts of my body and feeling bad about them and criticising others :ninja:.. now that I've grown out of that (the phase + magazine), I just find that so ridiculous, that's why I never even watch these shows either, I cannot take them seriously and I hate that they capitalise on the insecurities of women, on even creating insecurities!, it's too much about what color works for you, what neckline, how to hide parts of your body, how to accentuate 'what's left' (oh because they'll make it sound like there are only a couple things right about your body), blah blah, whatever happened to personal expression? spontaneity? individuality?, I do think some things are more flattering than others but the precision and strictness in which some things are ruled out for certain bodies is really a negative influence.. it all comes down to proportions and textures for me and obviously the right shades and most importantly, confidence!.. I believe that once you get that right, you can wear anything, even green and red :lol: .. /optimistic.

What is wrong with black and navy? I seriously do not understand that. Or black and brown? What is the problem, really?

I cannot stand those kind of articles, I don't even know who they are aimed at. People who don't know how to dress usually don't have an interest in fashion, why would they buy a fashion mag then...

I think how plus size women are told to dress is ridiculous.
I stopped trying to dress to hide my fat awhile time ago. So what if I am a size 18/20? I am not going to spend my life in dark, sold wrap dresses. I want to have fun with my clothes! I dress in plus size fashion no nos all the time. I wear bright colors and shorts and things that show my arms. And sometime I have wear horizontal stripes. (gasp)

and I look fine. Awesome even. If I followed the fashion rules I would look boring and feel miserable.

Anyways, I agree with what you say about short(er) people not having to conceal their height all the time. For example, I never understood why everyone always says short women shouldn't wear skinny jeans with flats. I always loved when people like Nicole Richie, the Olsens or Rachel Bilson wore skinny jeans and ballet flats or gladiators, it looks so cute and I don't see the problem with it not making them look 6 foot tall.

Rules are made to be broken. As a stylist, I love a good challenge, and try to find loopholes to "achieve" an good look out of something considered a faux-pas (like: mullets, socks and flipflops, white belts, et al).

Now, flats and skinny jeans depends on the person .. as someone pointed out before, its about PROPORTIONS ... Halle Berry even though has a GREAT figure, doesnt look her best in skinny jeans, and because of her height, wearing flats would be ... unwise.

About all this shows, I love the Fashion Police because of Joan Rivers comments, who makes me laugh even though I may utter disagreee with what she says (like, REALLY? are you taking advice from someone who sells jewelry on QVC?). And then there are the others .. i sympathize with George, I hate that bimbo Giuliana and my favorite is Kelly who I think knows her fashion best (she borrows Zara Rhodes out of museums for red carpet appearances for #·$·" sake!).

About donts and these type of shows, I ONLY hold holy two shows: Tim Gunn's and Trinny and Susannah's . Why? Tim explains it plain and simple, almost formulaic, works with YOUR body and YOUR style and NEVER talks you down. Now about the english women, their strongest point is that they know womens bodies like no one else, and they work with the WHOLE body, not just "bits", they even came to that realization after a couple of books and said that to dress AWESOME you have to keep ALL of it in mind (not just "bits").

The rest of the shows are rubbish, and even the ones I mentioned sometimes play it a bit too safe and I do think they shud be a bit more indulging. :P

I find the funniest thing about Bazaar is that very often, the last page with the keep it/chuck it/save it has an item that they want you to save/chuck, yet there is an editorial showing said item in that very issue! Color me confuzzled LOL! I take it that the editors don't check up on one another and that the editor-in-chief is too busy doing other things to catch this :smile:
So glad I don't pay attention to this drivel. It is just another way to get you into the shops to purchase something from their advertisers.

^^It is no more a faux pas than navy and black. Every year I hear that these two things will be big in fashion and my take is when did they go away?

:lol:...
i'm wearing black and navy right now...
and i'm pretty sure i look very cool...
:P

jeans, and because of her height, wearing flats would be ... unwise.

About all this shows, I love the Fashion Police because of Joan Rivers comments, who makes me laugh even though I may utter disagreee with what she says (like, REALLY? are you taking advice from someone who sells jewelry on QVC?). And then there are the others .. i sympathize with George, I hate that bimbo Giuliana and my favorite is Kelly who I think knows her fashion best (she borrows Zara Rhodes out of museums for red carpet appearances for #·$·" sake!).

I can't stand Giuliana. :ninja: Anytime she opens her mouth I disagree with her because she doesn't know what she's talking about. Week after week her bests are my worsts or either boring as crap, and her worsts are my best. Plus she's just friggin annoying.

Can someone please tell me that it's okay to wear opaque black stockings with open toe shoes? :lol: I wear black stockings almost everyday, but all the cute shoes have open toes so I can never buy them. Plus, my toes freak me out!

Can someone please tell me that it's okay to wear opaque black stockings with open toe shoes? :lol: I wear black stockings almost everyday, but all the cute shoes have open toes so I can never buy them. Plus, my toes freak me out!

I do it with some shoes. Just not shoes that have ancle straps, are very delicate (thin, fine stiletto heels) or heels that are in a very light colour. I think it is important though, that you buy tights that do not have a seam at the toes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zr90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->