Are You A Fashion Victim?

oanadobre

Reaction score
Worried that your new tie-on fur collar might clash with your knee-high boots and trench coat? Here's how to look fashionable without overdosing on the trends.
Difficulty: Easy

Time Required: Varies

Here's How:
1. Decide if you're wasting too much money on fads, by assessing the last five items you've purchased.

2. If three or more are touted as the season's "must-haves," you're in danger of being a fashion victim.

3. Examine your closet to see if more than half of your wardrobe is already out of style according to your favorite fashion sources.

4. Now, ask yourself if you are buying fashion fads because you really like them or you use them like a fashion security blanket.

5. If you decided you always buy all of the fads because you really like them, you're not telling the truth so you might as well just stop here.

6. If you decide you use fads as a fashion security blanket, follow the next steps.

7. Never wear more than two trends together if possible.

8. Stop referring to your clothing by designer (the Gucci jacket, the Dior bag) and just call them by the item name.

9. Before buying your next designer item, ask yourself if you'd like the item if it didn't have the chi chi logo: if yes, then buy it.

10. Never, ever wear your sunglasses indoors.

Tips:
Remember that celebrities often overdo trends for maximum photo impact; they may not translate well for you on a day-to-day basis.
Lots of fashion victims try to adopt the It Girl "bored look" as an accessory (as perfected by Gwyneth Paltrow and Chloe Sevigny). A cheerful disposition will separate you from the dour pack.
There's nothing wrong with designer label: just make sure you aren't hiding behind expensive clothes to mask other insecurities.
More How To's from your Guide To Fashion

i wear my sunglasses indoors regularly...hahaha... :lol: they are prescription and i need them to see... :wink:

Same here softie :lol:

I knew it beforehand but still, no, I'm not a fashion victim :P

my notebook... I AM PROUD to my victimness B)

:ninja:

Attachments

• fashvictim.jpg
    fashvictim.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 53
5. If you decided you always buy all of the fads because you really like them, you're not telling the truth so you might as well just stop here.

:lol:

Originally posted by softgrey@May 13th, 2004 - 11:53 am
i wear my sunglasses indoors regularly...hahaha... :lol: they are prescription and i need them to see... :wink:
I think medical glasses are out if the question... :flower:

I'm not a fashion victim- I have my own style, I don't care about trends, but I love fashion and during fashion weeks I'm really crazy. I love talking about fashion, models and what's going in the fashion world.

sunglasses indoors or on a rainy day is just plain ridiculous IMO

I am a fashion victim, but it isnt because I buy into fads. I dont at all in fact.

I have very few clothes (one pair of jeans for instance) because 1. I dont have a lot of money and 2. I refuse to waste money on low-quality Target clothes and ugly clothes from places like Ross, etc. I do shop at places like Lohemans, consinment stores, small boutiques, but then I dont know how to put anything together.

I am just messed up all alround. :-(

Help.:unsure:

hmm i dont think i fit in with any of those at all. lucky me

baRose said:
I am a fashion victim, but it isnt because I buy into fads. I dont at all in fact.

I have very few clothes (one pair of jeans for instance) because 1. I dont have a lot of money and 2. I refuse to waste money on low-quality Target clothes and ugly clothes from places like Ross, etc. I do shop at places like Lohemans, consinment stores, small boutiques, but then I dont know how to put anything together.

I am just messed up all alround. :-(

Help.:unsure:

places like ross can have some seriously cute stuff for cheap and its pretty good quality. example: i got a super nice tommy h. houndstooth cardi for $5 at tj maxx once

lotte said:
hmm i dont think i fit in with any of those at all. lucky me

places like ross can have some seriously cute stuff for cheap and its pretty good quality. example: i got a super nice tommy h. houndstooth cardi for $5 at tj maxx once

[font=&quot]Hmmm, really? The Rosses in my area (Bay Area) suck and have for a while. I did find one really cute pair of red leather Kenneth Cole shoes for $20 (size 10.5 no less) but that is a rarity. LOL I need to check out TJ Maxx again. [/font]

baRose said:
[font=&quot]Hmmm, really? The Rosses in my area (Bay Area) suck and have for a while. I did find one really cute pair of red leather Kenneth Cole shoes for $20 (size 10.5 no less) but that is a rarity. LOL I need to check out TJ Maxx again. [/font]
I recommend Loehmanns and Filene's Basement, they are the best bargain stores around. You can always find designer goodies for sooo cheap. Loehmanns & Filene's seem to actually have a buyer with style, all thier clothes are wearable and stylish, nothing that makes you say "Who would wear that?"

TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's, etc. I dont ever find anything worthwhile, except for this one French Connection shirt.

No but I surpose i could be a lot of things i buy cos i like a few month later every tom dick n harry owns one :(

Also I refer to things by there designer or make etc. as i have a lots of simular clothes so if i just said that black top it could be one of ten. Its only to distinguish them from the others :P

Diorling said:
I recommend Loehmanns and Filene's Basement, they are the best bargain stores around. You can always find designer goodies for sooo cheap. Loehmanns & Filene's seem to actually have a buyer with style, all thier clothes are wearable and stylish, nothing that makes you say "Who would wear that?"

TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's, etc. I dont ever find anything worthwhile, except for this one French Connection shirt.

Great, since I'm in SF we only have a Loehmanns, but I looked around the one we have recently and I saw a lot of great clothes (and great prices)!

I definitely can't be a victim because the most I can afford is Guess. Sad, I know, but its the truth. Just because someone can't afford high class names doesn't make them not fashionable in my opinion. I'm losing weight anyways, so I don't want to spend big bucks on designers.

Okay,the only one I do succumb to doing is referring to my pieces by the designer-but not for it's fashion value :yuk: but because I got alot of respect for the personalities that have created the pieces I wear.

I'm a victim of fashion, which may be slightly different; i spend about 90% of my income on clothes, shoes, hats, bags, accessories... :innocent:

but i think i'm off the hook cause i try really hard not to buy into trends ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->