J.W. Anderson - Designer, Creative Director of J.W. Anderson & Loewe

Apparently, there's rumours that Loewe will be gradually phasing out their OG "Puzzle" Bag, replacing it with a new model called the "Puzzle Edge" Bag.

Comparisons:
SquarePic_20230814_12081728.jpg SquarePic_20230814_12095853.jpg SquarePic_20230814_12110112.jpg
Image Sources: Loewe (edited and collaged by me)

I don't like this change at all. The "Egde" model looks so sloppy compared to the original. I remember there being previous issues with Loewe removing the feet and back pocket the original design had, but this is a completely different design.

Apparently, there's rumours that Loewe will be gradually phasing out their OG "Puzzle" Bag, replacing it with a new model called the "Puzzle Edge" Bag.

Comparisons:
View attachment 1234426 View attachment 1234427 View attachment 1234428
Image Sources: Loewe (edited and collaged by me)

I don't like this change at all. The "Egde" model looks so sloppy compared to the original. I remember there being previous issues with Loewe removing the feet and back pocket the original design had, but this is a completely different design.

Loewe is probably the only brand I constantly buy bags from so I have seen the changes. They have changed a lot of small details (like the feet of the bags from silver lines to small squares to sometimes completely remove it) from the original inception of those bags.

It was inevitable in a way…
The brand is growing and they have to reduce costs. The Edge is easier to produce than the original.

‘We are lucky as customers that Loewe is a Spanish brand and that the quality of the leather and the products is still at the top.

Now they will just raise the prices…

Loewe is probably the only brand I constantly buy bags from so I have seen the changes. They have changed a lot of small details (like the feet of the bags from silver lines to small squares to sometimes completely remove it) from the original inception of those bags.

It was inevitable in a way…
The brand is growing and they have to reduce costs. The Edge is easier to produce than the original.

‘We are lucky as customers that Loewe is a Spanish brand and that the quality of the leather and the products is still at the top.

Now they will just raise the prices…

100% but still, seeing a luxury brand like this compromise the integrity of their designs to nickel and dime the customer is extremely unflattering.

I agree. I understand the price raises (and they have been happening at Loewe a while already) but at least retain the quality and craftsmanship. Oh well, I tend to forget this is a LVMH house after all.

The mens leather goods & bags section used to be one of my favorites but it's now either overpriced for what it is or logo-heavy.

100% but still, seeing a luxury brand like this compromise the integrity of their designs to nickel and dime the customer is extremely unflattering.
I agree totally. Now they are trying to conceal it but I remember vividly Paolo Bulgari explaining, in the business section of the Herald Tribune, how Bulgari cut costs by stopping to polish the back of their watches. He was very proud of this trick, but I have never felt the same about Bulgari.
So, be careful Loewe !

I agree totally. Now they are trying to conceal it but I remember vividly Paolo Bulgari explaining, in the business section of the Herald Tribune, how Bulgari cut costs by stopping to polish the back of their watches. He was very proud of this trick, but I have never felt the same about Bulgari.
So, be careful Loewe !

And these are the changes we can see.

Imagine what they did that we can't see.

I was at Loewe store last week and to be very honest, the quality is still there. Some pieces are more expensive but I love their soft napa leather. It felt really amazing in hand. Compared to the same price points at other brands, Loewe is still much better.

The biggest scam in luxury right now is mini bags. Brands selling the mini bags at the prices of the said medium sizes. Some brands are selling wallets, pouches or regular pochettes with a chain at a price of bags…

‘I like Loewe under JWA so I will continue to buy what I like but with the on going success, I’m sure they will follow that route.

The biggest scam in luxury right now is mini bags. Brands selling the mini bags at the prices of the said medium sizes. Some brands are selling wallets, pouches or regular pochettes with a chain at a price of bags…

‘I like Loewe under JWA so I will continue to buy what I like but with the on going success, I’m sure they will follow that route.
Personally, I think mini bags (that function) are really cool, but I agree that the pricing is exploitative. A typical medium sized luxury bag costs around €1-3k, so a mini bag should be around half of that (give or take a couple hundred). Smaller leather goods (wallets, pouches, etc.) should cost even less as it is their goal is to be entry level products.

JWA is definitely a visionary and I'm sure that Loewe's actual quality (materials, stitching, finishes) won't actually change, but the Puzzle and the Puzzle Edge just look like two different designs.

Jonathan Anderson is holding an exhibition in September celebrating London. The exhibition will feature Anderson's designs for his JW Anderson and Loewe collections:

A preview of JWA's upcoming collection for his eponymous brand:
2024-JStoker-WWD-JD-Anderson-15-02-24-0174.jpeg2024-JStoker-WWD-JD-Anderson-15-02-24-0005.jpeg2024-JStoker-WWD-JD-Anderson-15-02-24-0211.jpeg2024-JStoker-WWD-JD-Anderson-15-02-24-0091.jpeg2024-JStoker-WWD-JD-Anderson-15-02-24-0216.jpeg
Source: WWD

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->