James Blunt

Discussion in 'Star Style' started by Pencey, Sep 10, 2005.

1. electricladyland

electricladyland New Member

i don't care much for this guy's voice...and this woman i work with has that song "you're beautiful" as a ring tone...it's driving me :wacko:

2. CharlottefromCA

CharlottefromCA User Friendly

:lol: ... I imagine it would..

But I was watching MTV the other day and my male friend walked in and asked why he was taking off his clothes on the music video.. and I couldn't come up with an answer :huh: :D

3. lacy99

lacy99 New Member

I think that if he hadn't written You're Beautiful, no-one would care about him, because it's that song that really made him famous.

4. simple19892001

simple19892001 New Member

I think his voice is kinda similar with Daniel Powter.

5. waukon73

waukon73 New Member

I love the song Your Beautiful, but it annoys the hell out of me when people sing it. Espically people that aren't beautiful.

6. adorefaith

adorefaith i'm almost ready..

^ i quite like daniel powter too.....:kiss:

7. tifa

tifa New Member

This man makes my stomach churn. Please, stick him in a box with David Grey, Dido, Daniel Powter, Katie Melua and all those other boring non offensive 35 year olds dinner party music, please.

8. adorefaith

adorefaith i'm almost ready..

^ hey THATS what i'll call it from now on when people ask me what kind of music i like....
    "non offensive 35 yr old dinner party music, mostly....".....
    fantastic.....:woot: :innocent:.....

9. lacy99

lacy99 New Member

Katie Melua for some reason irritates me so much! I can't stand listening to any of her songs.

10. SuperWoman

SuperWoman New Member

I love him! He's beautiful... Is he single? :blush:

11. simple19892001

simple19892001 New Member

I think her voice is OK. His songs is very nice too.

12. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

his voice is rather nasal, but I did like You're Beautiful before they started overplaying it. the rest of the album isn't astounding.

13. *wilde_darko*

*wilde_darko* New Member

his name says it all! :yuk: :innocent:

14. miss-lilly

miss-lilly New Member

Totally agree!!:sick:

15. visconti

visconti New Member

Yes. That's my major issue with him. I try to have a general idea of what's going on with the UK charts, so I heard his big hit at one point last summer or early fall. It was bland. I quickly forgot about it.

Jump ahead 6 months or so. He's HUGE in the US too. I don't listen to radio, but I started hearing people talk about him + humming/singing his song. It's still the sort of thing I could imagine hearing at the bank where I worked during college.

A few weeks ago, after hearing more raves, I checked out his bio on this official US site. This is what really turned the tide.

" James Blunt’s family have served in one kind of army or another since 995A.D."

" From birth in a military hospital in Tidworth..."

"In essence, one day he was sleeping off a hangover at the back of a sociology lecture hall and the next thing he knew he was in Kosovo with a gun and a guitar strapped to the side of a tank, wondering who he could possibly sleep with to get out of this war. To break up the super attenuated monotony, James would sometimes stroll through Serb villages wearing an East German cap singing, “All we are saying is give peace a chance”. "

I can't stand this sort of marketing. I fear we (US and UK especially) are seeing the start of a new media trend. Any "artist" who has any connection to military service--- especially in the middle east--- will have immediate selling power. That's not to say that these guys haven't experienced things that could inspire great art, but, like Susie said, the talented/more experimental ones will remain unknowns, but the market will be flooded with even more middle of the road faux-heartfelt ballads that only hope to gain depth when viewed in light of the singer's military "heroism". I have no idea if James hoped for this sort of marketing. Probably not, but it turns his music from the sort of thing that I'd tune out if it were playing at a grocery store to something cringe inducing.

16. larien

larien at the irish pub

he is very cool i love him and his songs.when i need calmness i just listen his album=))

17. AlexN

AlexN New Member

Awful...ridiculously overrated. SO bland. Incredibly predictable music and equally predictable lyrics. Ugh. This guy is a living, breathing formula.

18. make_me_whole

make_me_whole New Member

i think he's good though...his music is really attrative even that's not my type...there's always a reason why he's so popular...

19. AlexN

AlexN New Member

And that reason is because people like simple, predictable music with generic lyrics that they've heard before. He's a caricature of this type of stuff. :P :wink:

#79 AlexN, Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited by moderator : Apr 17, 2006
  20. waukon73

waukon73 New Member

^Yes. He does kind of suck, but it's good music to chill to.