Jamie Hawkesworth - Photographer

Creative

Reaction score
Jamie Hawkesworth photographs situations that display everyday realities. He has contributed to several contemporary publications, more recently collaborating with J.W. Anderson and Sunspel.

From the post-industrial north, to train stations and suburban estates - he plucks his subjects from the street and places them into the prescribed context of fashion. These locations and street castings challenge the cyclical norms of the fashion images seen today. Considering every component to his photographs, including the channels of distribution - Jamie consciously toys contributing to these platforms and maintaining a creative distance to them. A good example of this is the production of ‘Preston Bus Station’, a newspaper comprising of incidental portraits - documenting the building, its iconic presence and everyday use. His process provides respite, viewing fashion from both within the field and outside.

Where did you grow up?

I’m from Ipswich. Which is alright. Not a lot goes on there, but its home, so I always appreciate going back. I was there until about nineteen and then I went to Preston University to study Forensic Science. On the course we had crime scene houses where we would take pictures of fingerprints and footprints that we uncovered. During that year I realised it was that aspect of the course that I was interested in. So after my first year I left the course to join Photography.

So it was a impulsive decision to become a photographer. Are your family creative?

Not really, my Mum’s a cleaner and my Dad works for an insurance company. So they’re fairly uncreative in that respect. My Dad always took hundreds of family holiday snaps though, which I used to absolutely hate!

What brought you to Preston?

At the time, I was looking to study Forensic Science. Preston was the best university for practical aspects of that course. As I had spent a year studying Forensic Science, I joined second year Photography. When I was taking photographs at the crime scene houses, I was shooting on a basic digital camera. But as soon as I joined Photography, I shot on medium format, which is what I shoot with now.

Did everything just click there and then for you when you joined the course?

No, not at all. I just kept taking pictures to explore what I liked and to improve. I spent almost every single day at university taking black and white photos, developing them and printing them. I was so grateful to find something I loved, I just concentrated everything on taking pictures. In the evenings I would spend time in the library looking at British photographers like Tom Wood, Daniel Meadows and Nigal Shafran. Everything about them was so brilliant, it motivated me and inspired me.

After graduating you went back to work on a project with one of the tutors, documenting people at the Preston bus station. How did that collaboration come about?

Yeah, that was with my tutor Adam. He does ‘Preston is my Paris’ which encourages the documentation of Preston. He shoots 35m black and white landscapes and I shoot colour portraits. We thought it would be a strong mix to work on a project together. When Adam told me the bus station was going to be knocked down, he suggested we document the last days of it. The station had lots of empty, unused shops. We rented a shop for the weekend, put a big banner up telling people who we were and stayed there nine till ten both days. I would walk around approaching the public to take their portraits. We later produced it into a newspaper.

What made you choose a newspaper format?

We handed about 200 hundred newspapers at the bus station itself. We had in mind that people would pick it up and read it on their way somewhere. We loved the idea that a thing we had just produced would be crumpled up at the back of a bus. It’s interesting to produce work that goes full circle like that and in some respects, ends up a part of what you were actually documenting.

You often use the public as your subjects. Is that a way of keeping an element of authenticity to your photographs?

Concentrating on the public, with a particular focus on teenagers, is very important to me. Adam, my tutor, always said to produce work that’s relevant right now, to the moment were living in and I think documenting teenagers allows me to achieve this, even if it's at a very basic level. It’s the simplicity that I really love about taking portraits like this and maybe that keeps things honest.

You recently shot teenagers for Man About Town up in Newcastle and in the past you’ve shot Liverpudlian girls for Ponystep. What’s your connection to that part of England?

I am always trying to keep the unpredictability of things to my photographs (in terms of where I am shooting). So that is why I like going off to places like

inconversationwith.biz

J.W. Anderson F/W 13.14: Lucan Gillespie & Oliver O’ Brien by Jamie Hawkesworth

VT0yz8Y.jpg

nFBUCby.jpg

Gp4iYBZ.jpg

j_w_anderson_eerste_campagne_ooit_2541.jpg

dazeddigital.com & vogue.nl via Flashbang

Vogue Paris October 2013

Photographer: David Sims & Jamie Hackesworth
Models: Edie & Olympia Campbell
Styling: Joe McKenna
Hair: Alain Pichon
Make Up: Ciara O'Shea

zinio via Mat Cyruss

Acne Paper Sweden

Photography by Jamie Hawkesworth, styling by Marie Chaix, hair by Damien Boissinot, make-up by Adrien Pinault, set design by Hervé Sauvage, nails by Laura Forget, casting by Dominique Vinant. Talents: Caroline Schurch at Silent, Lussi Stankeieva at M Management and Alice Pasche at Des Filles et des Garçons.

Source: mapltd.com

US Vogue December 2013
"Million Dollar Hair"
Model: Georgia May Jagger
Photographer: Jamie Hawkesworth
Stylist: Sara Moonves
Hair: James Pecis
Makeup: Benjamin Puckey

ebook3000.com

LOVE #10 Fall/Winter 13.14
Marc Jacobs Beauty
Models: Issy Boreman, Cora Corre & Stevie Squire
Styling: Victoria Young

Digital Edition LOVE Magazine via Mat Cyruss

V #78 Pre-Fall 2012
"School Haze"
Models: Teen students of Washington
Stylist: Michael Philouze

vfiles.com

i-D Pre-Fall 2013
"Teamwork Makes the Dream Work"
Models: Hedvig Palm, Sam Rollinson, Maggie Maurer, Aymeline Valade, Kaley Chabot & Maisie Williams
Stylist: Charlotte Shockdale
Hair: Shon
Makeup: Hiromi Ueda
Manicure: Zarra Celik

mapltd.com & clmus.com

J.W. Anderson Spring/Summer 2014 (Ad Campaign)
Models: Unknown
Stylist: Benjamin Bruno
Makeup: Ciara O'Shea

mapltd.com

Acne Paper Fall/Winter 13.14
"Hit the Road to Dreamland"
Models: Caroline Schurch, Lussi Stankeieva & Alice Pasche
Stylist: Marie Chaix
Hair: Damien Boissinot
Makeup: Adrien Pinault
Manicure: Laura Forget

mapltd.com

W April 2014
The Mix-Up
Photographer:
Jamie Hawkesworth
Stylist: Marie-Amélie Sauvé
Models: Marine Deleeuw, Harieth Kuusik, Ashleigh Good & Linn Arvidsson

wmagazine.com

Man About Town Spring/Summer 2014
What makes a man a man?

mapltd.com via Flashbang

Arena Homme + S/S 2014
"41.5 Brass"
Stylist: Benjamin Bruno

artandcommerce via Flashbang

Teen Vogue August 2014

"Willow's World," 8 pages
Fashion Editor: Fawn Boardley
Hair: Marcia Hamilton
Make-Up: Steven Aturo

source: mapltd.com

Attachments

• map-37067-w388.jpg
    map-37067-w388.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 11
  • map-37068-w388.jpg
    map-37068-w388.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 7
  • map-37073-w808.jpg
    map-37073-w808.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 8
  • map-37069-w388.jpg
    map-37069-w388.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 7
  • map-37070-w388.jpg
    map-37070-w388.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 11
  • map-37071-w388.jpg
    map-37071-w388.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 7
  • map-37072-w388.jpg
    map-37072-w388.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 12
AnOther Fall/Winter 14.15
Models: Lexi Boling, Julie Hoomans, Rianne Van Rompaey, Adrienne Jüliger, Marin Kessler, Jade Gaunt, Arron Freeman, Darcy Healey & Sammi Gee
Stylist: Olivier Rizzo
Hair: Duffy
Makeup: Peter Philips

glossynewsstand.com

He is a master of composition, color, ambiance and mood. I just love him. He's the best photographer in recent times and should be getting more important commitments.

Vogue US October 2014

Young Guns
Designers: Jonathan Anderson, Peter Pilotto, Christopher De Vos, Danielle Sherman, Marco De Vincenzo, Joseph Altuzarra, Simone Rocha & Anthony Vaccarello
Models: Malaika Firth, Imaan Hammam, Anna Ewers, Vanessa Axente, Lexi Boling, Fei Fei Sun, Rianne Van Rompaey
Stylist: Camilla Nickerson

glossynewsstand.com

I couldn't agree more, the way he uses the space in his pictures always results in a superb composition. He is easily one of the best new photographers.

I just love the way he uses natural sunlight in his pictures. It's that orange-ish sunset colour that gives the pictures almost a vintage aesthetic. It's so beautiful.

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out Marc. to me, it looks like he may use a sepia filter in his color shots. In the last editorial, that technique definitely makes it sort of "prairie/wild west/late summer day" in feeling ... very very appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaKel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->