Jason Wu Resort 2011

again, just like pilati's outing for resort, jason wu could've started and ended with those exits with those tailored shorts. although its a seasons' old trend, it looks strong in this collection. everything else in this collection could easily have appeared (or will appear?) at an oscar de la renta presentation.

Not too excited about it, I do like the hats though.

I like the opening look (probably only because of the styling), the rest is dullsville.

This kid bores me to sobs. I have no clue why he is so celebrated...

Could it be because Michelle Obama wore one of his designs? You know how some people are obsessed with celebrity-dom...

Jason Wu, Phillip Lim, Proenza Schouler, Zach Posen... I swear, their designs are so interchangeable and generic that if you switched the labels on the garments, no one will notice.

Could it be because Michelle Obama wore one of his designs? You know how some people are obsessed with celebrity-dom...

Jason Wu, Phillip Lim, Proenza Schouler, Zach Posen... I swear, their designs are so interchangeable and generic that if you switched the labels on the garments, no one will notice.

while i want to agree with these sentiments, it's not quite true. we should feel lucky to live in a country that celebrates and nurtures young budding fashion talent. sure, jason wu, among others, still has a lot of maturing to do, but without them, we'd only have the latest offerings from the same designers we've always had for the past twenty years.

also, they each have their signature and no one with any sort of fashion eye could mistake a proenza schouler flippy skirt or tye dye dress for anything the other three put out.

while i want to agree with these sentiments, it's not quite true. we should feel lucky to live in a country that celebrates and nurtures young budding fashion talent. sure, jason wu, among others, still has a lot of maturing to do, but without them, we'd only have the latest offerings from the same designers we've always had for the past twenty years.

also, they each have their signature and no one with any sort of fashion eye could mistake a proenza schouler flippy skirt or tye dye dress for anything the other three put out.

Yes, I completely agree! I've never been too fond of Jason Wu, but I have to say this is pretty amazing. it's my kind of style, at least. And it certainly does make up for that dreadful F/W collection. And although it may seem as if we can get these kind of garments at Zara, it's because of designers like this that garments at Zara are the way they are now.

Also, straw hats seem to be appearing in many resort 2011 collections. Jason Wu, for one. And then Vena Cava and at Oscar De La Renta as well.

Fair enough, they do have their own signature. I just don't care for it. Their designs, at best, is just fashionable. Nothing wrong with that, of course. I just prefer designers that excite, thrill, provoke and inspire me.

As far as nurturing young talent: I suppose all the mentioned designers make "cute" dresses some women would like to wear? Nothing wrong with that...

I suppose I just prefer to support designers that are innovative rather than just be another Oscar de la Renta.

As far as nurturing young talent: I suppose all the mentioned designers make "cute" dresses some women would like to wear? Nothing wrong with that...

I suppose I just prefer to support designers that are innovative rather than just be another Oscar de la Renta.
Agreed.

That's my issue with these young designers like Thakoon, Lim, Wu, Som, etc. It's that all they're capable of doing, really, is making a pretty little dress. I see little concept and little innovation in their work. And not that there is something inherently wrong with wanting to make pretty clothes for pretty women, I just don't understand why they are all being heralded as the New Gaurd and the Next Generation of Great Designers. For me, titles like that should be reserved for designers with a more unique and definitive point of view and a desire to do more than just "pretty."

So, in a way, of all the young New York designers, the only one really worthwhile for me is Rodarte. Regardless of your opinions of the Mulleavy sisters' work, you cannot deny that they are doing something wildy different that deserves to be supported, matured and guided down the right path so that their longevity is gaurenteed. There will always be designers out there who can make a pretty dress...it isn't that hard, believe me. But it's rarer to find someone (or two someones', in Rodarte's case) who has an inspiring sense of imagination and puts that imagination to work, creating clothes that are vastly different from their peers.

So...with Wu winning CFDA's left and right...well...all I can do is roll my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
^but one must also understand these designers in context. they didn't get snapped up to present during london fashion week. and they're not toiling away at a storied parisian house. they're designing for the most sensible and commercially minded fashion week of the bunch. in that context, they're doing great things. proenza schouler, rodarte, altuzarra, and others really represent the vanguard. jason wu and phillip lim, and prabal will replace the others who have a more conservative bent to their work.

So...with Wu winning CFDA's left and right...well...all I can do is roll my eyes.

I've always thought that it was rather predictable that Wu would be the next posterboy for the CDDA just because of his name being propelled instantly into, if not the world's household, than definitely America's household because he was the designer Michelle Obama chose to wear on a historical night. One can't buy that kind of PR, so I thought it was only natural for the CFDA to continue that momentum to promote the Wu brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->