Jean Paul Gaultier Menswear F/W 2001.02 Paris

eugenius

Reaction score
This is it! This is the collection that got me fired!

I had a crummy temp-job, and I used to spend all day looking at this collection on firstview, and doing something next do nothing, so they were like "Yeah, we're all set with you."

Anyways, I've been looking for pics of this collection for years, but, as we know, it's hard to find pics from the womenswear shows around this time, much less the mens.

There was soooo much I loved about this collection: the leather arm/shoulder pieces; the camouflage parka, lined in fur; the one skirt; all the looks w/ the womenswear pieces thrown in; the wide-leg pans with the form-fitting shirts. I just thought this was the coolest of the cool, and very sexy. And seeing his friend Tanel walk with his hyper-feminine style--fantastic!

Of note: heels on men? Sweatpants and hoodies (probably in velvet)? This is what we saw in the 2018 collections, and here Gaultier was doing it 17 yeas before.. (Please, let's not go there with the "well, actually.." comments.)

This is it! This is the collection that got me fired!

(Please, let's not go there with the "well, actually.." comments.)
:lol:

I haven’t even seen the show and already love this thread. I used to watch Firstview in my mother’s computer at work when I was.. 11, and felt horribly guilty cause back then most shows had a lot of nudity.. and I guess it was weird, given my age..

On a more serious note, thanks guys for the ongoing retrospectives :heart:.. it reminds me that I never learned much about Gaultier and probably should. I got into fashion when people talked nonstop about him, I felt like I was familiar but never really was.. I should probably just watch a documentary.

No one does naughty quite like Gaultier, love the rockstar attitude of the show: skintight velvet and those long billowy coats.

Towards the end, I love how they attached a women’s dress to the side of the models outfit to make it look like 1 singular garment.

And, in a totally unrelated topic, does anybody recognize the venue? I swear I’ve seen those tiles in other shows.

For me, Gaultier invented the concept of modern High Fashion menswear. I think his name is sometimes forgotten in the conversations when it comes to great menswear designers... Before Hedi, before Helmut.
This is not necessarly his best collection but his stuff from the 80’s to the late 90’s/early 00’s is fabulous in terms of playfulness and creativity. His first Couture was even a menswear collection so...

^^^ This is definitely not his strongest nor his best— and yet it’s stronger and better than any menswear collection in the last decade from any designer.

Without Gaultier, so many others, from Galliano, McQueen, Margiela, Riccardo to Hedi to Nicolas, likely wouldn’t be where they are. And no one will give this incredible design visionary the credit he truly deserves. I see so much of his influences, whether that be the socio-political statements of how he designed and dresses men and women, to his castings of redefining multiculturalism and beauty, to how the standards have been set and progressed in fashion presentation.

Sadly, people will mostly remember his brand more for the camp and kitsch of his later working years than how he deconstructed how men and women dressed while defining their own individuality as a global culture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->