Joanna Newsom

Check it out

It's an interview conducted via e-mail, between Joanna and Under the Radar magazine, which was published in the Fall 2006 issue (and coincided with the release of Ys). What she has to say about her uncalculated style and the (calculated) image that people perceive is surprisingly interesting.

to be honest, i've read quite a few interviews with her and never liked any... the first, was my very first encounter with her, in mid 2004, in an irish underground magazine. she said she was wearing a yellow poncho and jeans and, unaware of her talents, i thought, who is this person?!

Coming into a store, I wouldn't mind seeing my name over something like a dress if it managed to simplify my purchasing decisions. :lol: But I can imagine not everyone would appreciate the unpaid promotional work, on the store's behalf...

This thread needs to come back to life... :ninja:

I had the chance to see Joanna perform last Sunday. I still have goosebumps and I'm floating on air, it was wonderful and magical. She is truly otherworldly, and so sweet. :blush: She was accompanied on stage by a violin, tambura and percussions, and although the gig was held at a rock club everyone in the audience were completely quiet, wanting to hear every single note. Set list: Bridges and Balloons; Emily; Monkey & Bear; Book of Right-On; Inflammatory Writ; Sawdust & Diamonds; Only Skin; Colleen; Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie. Encore: Peach, Plum, Pear.

I've been listening to Colleen and Only Skin a lot lately. I cannot comprehend how music like this can possibly even exist.

like the sky'd been breathing on a mirror

my pictures

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    454.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 02.png
    02.png
    447.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 05.png
    05.png
    438.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 03.png
    03.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 04.png
    04.png
    444.6 KB · Views: 8
I saw her in april and it was just perfect.. someone who makes love to their instrument doesn't even cover it... it was like a perfect extension of her.

in an all-seated concert, i was about 8 rows from the front, and for some unbelievably frustrating reason, every time a song ended, about 30 people in front of me would stand up, fuss their way out of row and go to the bar, or the toilet, or God knows where. i felt so embarrassed on their behalf - like they were silently protesting the length of the songs. i could not understand this rudeness from the people who had presumably bought their tickets first. i was tempted to trip some of the regular offenders up. :lol: :ninja:

At first her voice was a bit unexpected, and not in a pleasant way...
But somehow after a few more listens her voice is simply beautiful now ans her music just flows...

I completely agree. Her voice seemed contrived at first and then became addictive... :woot:

I am in absolute love with her voice and her music. I love listening to it when out walking, it's like being transported into a fairytale :heart:

did anyone else catch Joanna last night with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra? she performed all of Ys with the orchestra, and then after intermission she played some earlier/newer songs with just her band. it was definitely one of the most amazing concerts i've ever seen. her voice is absolutely gorgeous live - in recordings i've always found her voice to be unique and lovely but i wasn't really prepared for how beautiful it is! 'Emily' with the orchestra was breathtaking, and i loved the pause of the entire orchestra stopping to watch her play 'Sawdust and Diamonds'.

it was definitely one of the most amazing concerts i've ever seen. her voice is absolutely gorgeous live - in recordings i've always found her voice to be unique and lovely but i wasn't really prepared for how beautiful it is!
I concur :heart:

has anybody heard the new music yet? '81 is beautiful and her voice is so sublime :heart:

Yes, I've heard it and I'm very curious as to whether she can pull this off. The new album 'Have One On Me' is a 3-CD set! Her songs tend to be pretty epic but can she sustain the quality over that length. Will be interesting to see.

jonewsomhaveonecover.jpg

rawkblog.net

There's two new songs been made available on dragcity.com. They are also on youtube (for now:(

The second song is very different.

jonewsompromoa.jpg

Annabel Mehran/dragcity.com

Album is out February 23rd in US, March 1st in UK.

SO in love with her music :crush::heart: Heartbreaking but damn beautiful.

it is very different chaky. i was thinking it reminds me a lot of joni mitchell more than ever.

btw,the cover art....very marchesa casati.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm ridiculously excited for this new album! it definitely seems to be a departure from what we're used to hearing from her, and Ys is my favorite album of all time - so it's easy to hope for something similar, but i'm so interested in where she is going with her music.
somehow i'm seeing her twice on this tour, in two different cities, two days in a row. :innocent: we have 5th row seats for the Milwaukee show - i'll definitely give some reports.

here's a detail from the album cover... couldn't resist the zoom... haha.

Snapshot2010-02-0121-14-18.jpg

amazon.com

Drag City released the album tracklist:

01 Easy (6:04)
02 Have One on Me (11:02)
03 '81 (3:52)
04 Good Intentions Paving Company (7:02)
05 No Provenance (6:25)
06 Baby Birch (9:30)
07 On a Good Day (1:49)
08 You and Me, Bess (7:13)
09 In California (8:42)
10 Jackrabbits (4:23)
11 Go Long (8:03)
12 Occident (5:31)
13 Soft as Chalk (6:29)
14 Esme (7:56)
15 Autumn (8:02)
16 Ribbon Bows (6:11)
17 Kingfisher (9:11)
18 Does Not Suffice (6:45)

It is... wait for it... two hours, eight minutes and 10 seconds long!

Also a new song, Kingfisher, is streaming at Drag City.

^wow. that's longer than any of her previous albums. no wonder it's 3-discs. but not complaining though. i could take 2 hrs of enchantment from joanna.

I heard 'jackrabbits' on the radio today

... wonderful ... truly

does anyone know what inspires JN... what she reads, looks at, listens to?

it's hard to find info about her... I'd love to know more about her world

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->