John Galliano Menswear F/W 2004

Originally posted by leyla m.+Jan 25th, 2004 - 10:29 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leyla m. @ Jan 25th, 2004 - 10:29 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-brian@Jan 24th, 2004 - 7:33 pm
is it just me, or does john look a horrifyingly lot like JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE here?

efgall1.jpg
off topic

what a beautiful lift he had done :innocent: [/b][/quote]
Beautiful? He looks like Liza Minelli :lol:

i think it was irony behind at leyla's post :P

Say what you want about how ugly this is, but some of the pieces, not the whole looks are pretty cool. The track/boxing suits and spliced up suits are pretty wearable if you're daring, and I love the underwear! All in all, I think it's classic Galliano, which is a good thing for a first collection from a previously established designer.

Originally posted by Spike413@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 1:28 am
The track/boxing suits and spliced up suits are pretty wearable if you're daring
....and the oxymoron of the year goes to..... :innocent:

I'm sorry, but this simply the worst men's collection I've ever laid my eyes on, and that's quite miraculous since I've seen quite a few Dsquared shows :P . It embodies everything that is wrong and off-putting about Galliano, presented in a field where he has absolutely no experience, to a market audience to whom the designer's name bears absolutely no cachet, unlike his traditional clientele of di-wh*re ladies.

I smell a bomb, editorially (it already is, actually) and commercially. And I predict that, unless Bernard Arnault happens to be in a charity mood, next time this year Galliano won't even be showing his men's collection in Paris. And that'd be a good thing for all of us.

:ninja:

Originally posted by Orochian@Mar 8th, 2004 - 10:47 pm
to a market audience to whom the designer's name bears absolutely no cachet, unlike his traditional clientele of di-wh*re ladies.
I beg to differ on this one. Any old queen with a little self-respect is familiar with Dior and Galliano.

:P

Originally posted by Acid+Jan 25th, 2004 - 5:44 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acid @ Jan 25th, 2004 - 5:44 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats@Jan 25th, 2004 - 10:39 pm
Acid has secret sources

*cough*KGB*cough*
shhhhh! dont tell everyone :wink:

'blue squirrel calling red fox.......i have entered the building......about to take a place at the paparazzi stand check'

'red fox check......backstage....lots of gays here'

'check.......ok take your position....show's about to start'

'mayday mayday! the're cutting me up and stitching me to some boots'

' :rolleyes: thats galliano for you' [/b][/quote]
:lol:

Okay, this stuff is getting very strange here...I imagine his clientel for this collection might be a touch limited... :sick:

Originally posted by tott@Mar 8th, 2004 - 5:02 pm
I beg to differ on this one. Any old queen with a little self-respect is familiar with Dior and Galliano.

True - but that doesn't necessarily result in strong sales. Even if every soul rushed out of their Chelsea apartments to buy Galliano's clothes the minute they hit the store racks, you'd still be looking at some pretty dim sales numbers. While gay guys are indeed a significant clientele for high-end menswear, a brand still needs a much broader demographic in order to succeed.

From the looks of the clothes, Galliano's trying to sell to that distinct group of gay cross-dressing trailer trash hustlers who work in circuses on the side - not exactly my idea of a broad audience. :innocent:

And that's already an unrealistically positive assumption. Most gay guys I know aren't exactly huge fans of his. Heck, I'm a big old queen and I'm familiar with Galliano. It's just that I hate his guts. Ok, not his guts, more like everything he's managed to put on the runway. I couldn't even quite bring myself to using the word "design" in the same sentence where his name is mentioned. :angry:

Originally posted by Orochian+Mar 9th, 2004 - 5:16 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orochian @ Mar 9th, 2004 - 5:16 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-tott@Mar 8th, 2004 - 5:02 pm

True - but that doesn't necessarily result in strong sales. Even if every soul rushed out of their Chelsea apartments to buy Galliano's clothes the minute they hit the store racks, you'd still be looking at some pretty dim sales numbers. While gay guys are indeed a significant clientele for high-end menswear, a brand still needs a much broader demographic in order to succeed.

From the looks of the clothes, Galliano's trying to sell to that distinct group of gay cross-dressing trailer trash hustlers who work in circuses on the side - not exactly my idea of a broad audience. :innocent:

And that's already an unrealistically positive assumption. Most gay guys I know aren't exactly huge fans of his. Heck, I'm a big old queen and I'm familiar with Galliano. It's just that I hate his guts. Ok, not his guts, more like everything he's managed to put on the runway. I couldn't even quite bring myself to using the word "design" in the same sentence where his name is mentioned. :angry: [/b][/quote]
I'll say it AGAIN OROCHIAN :flower:

Read ' Fashion at the edge ' by Caroline Evans and you will gain a greater insight into what Galliano is doing ON THE RUNWAY .

The clothes that actually go into the shops ARE good design , the theatrics on the catwalk follow in a long tradition , starting with the shows at the original Parisian department stores like Le Bon Marche - Exotic spectacular for the bourgeoisie and upper classes with ' Ethnic ' design a la Liberty-London exoticism .

Sorry to be a bore about this book , but it's changed my conception of designers like Alexander McQueen ,John Galliano and Martin Margiela immeasureably , and my understanding of what they are about in their ' eccentric ' catwalk shows .

KIT B)

And I'll say this AGAIN as well, KIT :wink:

(slightly modified from my post on the Dior F/W 2004 RTW thread:(

Exactly what is being achieved by showing bizarre junk on the runway that nobody is going to buy or want to wear, and then filling the store racks with a bunch of completely unrelated designs? Isn't the whole point of a fashion show to give the trade and consumers a sneak preview of what is actually on offer in the stores for the upcoming season? Some people will surely scream "don't you get it? It's for PR and media attention!", well then I'd say this is a truly unconstructive, wasteful, and redundant practice. With other companies fashion is partially about pursuing genuinely good designs, and bringing them to the market. With LVMH, Dior in particular, it's all about generating hype among the media, and chanelling it into sales of tacky logoed handbags and slogan tees.

No offense, but I simply can't bring myself to give a flying squirrel about the heritage of origins of such shows. In a bygone era they may have been appropriate and interesting - now they're just a total waste of time. I actually feel sorry for the media people whose job is to be forced to endure his shows and, even worse, to actually write something positive and meaningful about his entourage of otherwordly creations.

As for his clothes in the stores, yes, they appear to be well made. But that's de rigeur at such price points, and hence nothing to get excited about. Design wise, some are wearable and decent, but most, especially sales-wise, are just tacky and of dubious taste IMO.

Originally posted by Orochian@Mar 9th, 2004 - 5:48 am
And I'll say this AGAIN as well, KIT :wink:

(slightly modified from my post on the Dior F/W 2004 RTW thread:(

Exactly what is being achieved by showing bizarre junk on the runway that nobody is going to buy or want to wear, and then filling the store racks with a bunch of completely unrelated designs? Isn't the whole point of a fashion show to give the trade and consumers a sneak preview of what is actually on offer in the stores for the upcoming season? Some people will surely scream "don't you get it? It's for PR and media attention!", well then I'd say this is a truly unconstructive, wasteful, and redundant practice. With other companies fashion is partially about pursuing genuinely good designs, and bringing them to the market. With LVMH, Dior in particular, it's all about generating hype among the media, and chanelling it into sales of tacky logoed handbags and slogan tees.

No offense, but I simply can't bring myself to give a flying squirrel about the heritage of origins of such shows. In a bygone era they may have been appropriate and interesting - now they're just a total waste of time. I actually feel sorry for the media people whose job is to be forced to endure his shows and, even worse, to actually write something positive and meaningful about his entourage of otherwordly creations.

As for his clothes in the stores, yes, they appear to be well made. But that's de rigeur at such price points, and hence nothing to get excited about. Design wise, some are wearable and decent, but most, especially sales-wise, are just tacky and of dubious taste IMO.
YES , OROCHIAN :flower:

I hear what you say and I DON'T disagree with you . :wink:

It's just that I was trying to give ' Poor bugger Galliano ' a chance on the basis of where HE is coming from . B)

I would not buy his clothes precisely for the same reasons as yourself : ' Camp ' is not my thing , but as I have said elsewhere about Tom Ford's designs , ' To each his own ' ! There is obviously a market out there and people with the wherewithall to purchase such extravagant attire . :shock:

When I have the money it goes on Hedi Slimane , but that's a completely different ballgame , or story .................!!! :rolleyes:

Regards

KIT :innocent:

Originally posted by Orochian@Mar 9th, 2004 - 5:16 am
:lol: I am loving this topic...

Originally posted by Orochian+Mar 9th, 2004 - 11:16 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orochian @ Mar 9th, 2004 - 11:16 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-tott@Mar 8th, 2004 - 5:02 pm

True - but that doesn't necessarily result in strong sales. [/b][/quote]
No, no, no... Absolutely. I didn't mean he has a huge customer base just wanting to throw their money down the drain. Just wanted to knit-pick the post I was replying to. :P

I just saw the whole collection on john galliano's website. what do I think of it? Well, it's rather mad. I didn't like how most of the clothes are styled, but there were some interesting ones like the sexy legs t shirt, the tan jacket (actually, the entire look with this on), the white military jacket and the galliano newspaper print tee. The rest look ridiculous and I'm as curious as everyone as to how much alterations John would do as it reaches retail.
But I do trust Galliano's genius on the clothes and the business of selling them. I'm just curious, is the bias cutting everyone knows he does well apparent on the jackets?

This collection horrified me. I do understand these are not the actual clothes to be sold in stores. AH!

galliano is such a f*cking queen but I love him!

this collection is awkward as ***.

but from seeing bits of the video the set rules and the whole aura of the show. it's like a morbid saloon circus.

and although there are a lot of things that i can't see anyone wearing there are a few that i can and i might wear some of them if i bathed in bills or someone gave it to me.

one thing i really like about this show and it sort of applies to other galliano shows is that the models are less perfect/unique bodies and faces but actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->