John Galliano Menswear F/W 2004

Something's bothering me here. People are trashing John for presenting outrageous, eccentric clothes. Would people who feel like this like the collection if john went all Saville Row and did something completely different from what he's known for. Hate it all you want, but at least he stays true to his design ideas. Personally, I would laugh my *** of if I saw basic men's sportswear come down a Galliano runway. It's totally not what I want from him.

Originally posted by kit@Mar 15th, 2004 - 7:07 am
Interesting article here :-

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/14/magazine.../MFOTDIORT.html

Comments ?

KIT :innocent:
I really liked that article, thanx :flower:

It kind of put a reason as to why I liked this collection. It was totally different. A jolt of ebergy. Let's face it, as a man, I must say that men's fashion can be a little......boring. This was fun, fresh and no doubt controversial. And that's why I loved this collection!

Here's another interesting (albeit very short) article from British Vogue:

GALLIANO DOES IT FOR THE BOYS
HAVING spent his career providing women all over the world with clothes that make them feel as gorgeously special as they do luxuriously eccentric, John Galliano decided he wanted a bit of the action for himself. "I'm dressing I don't know how many women in the world and then I just thought I really need some of this myself," the British designer, who is also responsible for the fashion extravaganza on the Christian Dior catwalk each season, tells Time Out. "I was thinking of David Beckham, Joaquin Cortes and Justin Timberlake." And it seems that the Davids, Joaquins and Justins of this world are more than happy to swear allegiance to Galliano. Since launching his first menswear line early last month, Harvey Nichols has been struggling to keep up with demand for it, and has already had to place repeat orders for £75 boxer shorts, jewelled tracksuits and animal-print jeans. (March 16 2004, AM)

I wonder if all these selling is because of the tremendous hype he generated by creating the menswear line, or because it really is quite good, in a cheeky kind of way.

i find this collection atrocious. but it's exactly what i expected anyway, so yeah. it's not for me...different strokes for different folks.

Originally posted by xxdolce@Mar 16th, 2004 - 2:07 pm
i find this collection atrocious. but it's exactly what i expected anyway, so yeah. it's not for me...different strokes for different folks.
DITTO , xxdolce :flower:

KIT :innocent:

Originally posted by steeltoe@Mar 16th, 2004 - 12:17 pm

HAVING spent his career providing women all over the world with clothes that make them feel as gorgeously special as they do luxuriously eccentric, John Galliano decided he wanted a bit of the action for himself. "I'm dressing I don't know how many women in the world and then I just thought I really need some of this myself," the British designer, who is also responsible for the fashion extravaganza on the Christian Dior catwalk each season, tells Time Out. "I was thinking of David Beckham, Joaquin Cortes and Justin Timberlake." And it seems that the Davids, Joaquins and Justins of this world are more than happy to swear allegiance to Galliano. Since launching his first menswear line early last month, Harvey Nichols has been struggling to keep up with demand for it, and has already had to place repeat orders for £75 boxer shorts, jewelled tracksuits and animal-print jeans. (March 16 2004, AM)

I wonder if all these selling is because of the tremendous hype he generated by creating the menswear line, or because it really is quite good, in a cheeky kind of way.
"Cheeky" isn't nearly good enough to shove £75 boxers down consumers' throats -hype is all that's pushing the sales. And we all know what'll inevitably happen once the hype dies down, probably in a matter of weeks.

I wouldn't even call those "clothes" (if you can call them that) cheeky to start with; they're more like grotesque, tacky, and trashy. Just why anyone would spend so much money to look this cheap, I'll most likely never manage to understand. This is yet another proof that money and taste exist in an inverse relationship. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to have my first encounter with a Galliano-clad male fashion victim.

Originally posted by Spike413@Mar 14th, 2004 - 10:42 pm
Something's bothering me here. People are trashing John for presenting outrageous, eccentric clothes. Would people who feel like this like the collection if john went all Saville Row and did something completely different from what he's known for. Hate it all you want, but at least he stays true to his design ideas. Personally, I would laugh my *** of if I saw basic men's sportswear come down a Galliano runway. It's totally not what I want from him.
Hmm. Good Point. It's just that, for me personally, I don't want *ANYTHING* from him, PERIOD. :sick:

Galliano should stick to milking the cash of Di-whores all over the world with his slogan tees and logoed handbags.

Originally posted by Orochian+Mar 17th, 2004 - 1:18 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orochian @ Mar 17th, 2004 - 1:18 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-steeltoe@Mar 16th, 2004 - 12:17 pm

"Cheeky" isn't nearly good enough to shove £75 boxers down consumers' throats -hype is all that's pushing the sales. And we all know what'll inevitably happen once the hype dies down, probably in a matter of weeks.

I wouldn't even call those "clothes" (if you can call them that) cheeky to start with; they're more like grotesque, tacky, and trashy. Just why anyone would spend so much money to look this cheap, I'll most likely never manage to understand. This is yet another proof that money and taste exist in an inverse relationship. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to have my first encounter with a Galliano-clad male fashion victim. [/b][/quote]
I can't wait to hear what you're gonna say to the guy... :P

*Just don't be too hard on him, he might like it...*

The clothes aren't that bad, they're fun! I guess when you're rich, there's only so many tailored suits you can don, why not garter belts over jeans and fur boots, and make up, and all that jazz! It's total 90s status symbol gear, good for nothing else than to go out and get laid in

seems like Galliano Homme is causing an uproar here.
Many people are defending Galliano's new collection for men and I agree with them. John did stick to his true personal style and self but there are so many ways of being eccentric and outrageous and the way John did it in this collection are a little bit overwhelming with a few pieces hitting the right spot! ( i would give a B, which is not bad for a debut collection)
The suits are nicely cut and done, I think personally and from the reaction at Harvey Nichols, it further confirms the vast market for Galliano Homme.

whatever floats his boat, but i think it's hideous. :doh:

especially that dead animal on his shoulders. that's just wrong.

I loved some of the pieces from this collection, and I'm considering buying some once they hit stores (anyone know when?)

Oh, speaking of which, would any of you happen to have any price points for any of the stuff shown for the F/W collection?? I'm interested in a few pieces, but especially that "cowboy" suede messenger bag with the fringe :wub:

Originally posted by brian@Mar 19th, 2004 - 7:08 pm
I loved some of the pieces from this collection, and I'm considering buying some once they hit stores (anyone know when?)

Oh, speaking of which, would any of you happen to have any price points for any of the stuff shown for the F/W collection?? I'm interested in a few pieces, but especially that "cowboy" suede messenger bag with the fringe :wub:
I know, I can't wait to find out how much the retail stuff will go for. I want that underwear, and mabye the bowling bag too.

I loved this show!
Even now after so many years i enjoy watchin´it and listening the soo cool music
it is a jewel!!

Anyone gots the video?
I got the original one but at the end something strange happens
and i cant upload to my account in dailymotion...

And,
maybe anyone knows where is another version in better quality...

Can someone please post a video of this?
Posted via Mobile Device

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->