Josh Hartnett

CORDUROY
Issue IX

Shortly after graduating high school, Josh Hartnett was accepted into the State University of New York’s prestigious acting conservatory. He was kicked out six months later.

Frustrated with what he perceived to be unrealistic expectations, he wrote to the dean of the program telling him that constant evaluations were strangling the students’ creativity. The dean, he says, responded by asking him to leave.

Years later, Harnett is reclining on a leather couch in a non-descript photo studio in West Hollywood, talking about stepping-stones. There’s this idea that every experience, whether positive or negative, propels you closer to your goal, he explains. Still, “you want the stepping stones to also be worth being part of.”

It’s late in the afternoon and Hartnett is restless. He’s been filming the colonial drama, Singularity, in Australia, but is in town for a few weeks “takings meetings.” Hartnett hasn’t lived in L.A. for a few years now (he splits his time between an apartment in New York and his hometown of Saint Paul, Minnesota) so he’s spent the past few weeks living out of a room at the Chateau Marmont.

“You wanna do this at the Chateau?” he asks, though it’s not clear if he’s asking more for him or for us. We decide to stay in the quieter and paparazzi-free confines of the studio that we have rented for the day’s shoot.

Hartnett is 32 and handsome; no longer the boyish heartthrob with moppish hair that graced teen magazine covers and posters at the on-set of his career, but not exactly grizzled and graying at the sides Brad Pitt-style either. On this day, he’s arrived in a loose-fitting Henley top, dark jeans and black boots, with a pair of gold-rimmed Ray-Bans dangling from his collar. He’s also wearing a knit “beanie,” which has become an unintended signature of sorts for him over the years. You get the impression the hat is more to help him keep a low profile than to make any kind of fashion statement.

“I’ve taken a couple years off from acting in film,” Hartnett says, as if to confirm the sentiment. “For a while now, I’ve been kind of uninspired to act.”

(Tim Chan)

- To read the rest of this story, pick up Issue 9 of Corduroy…
corduroymag

Josh Hartnett and his girlfriend, model Sophia Lie, leave the Kunstnernes Hus art gallery on Sunday (August 14) in Oslo, Norway.

The 33-year-old actor and Sophia attended an after party held during Oslo Fashion Week.

josh-hartnett-sophia-lie-oslo-fashion-week-01.jpgjosh-hartnett-sophia-lie-oslo-fashion-week-02.jpg

josh-hartnett-sophia-lie-oslo-fashion-week-03.jpgjosh-hartnett-sophia-lie-oslo-fashion-week-04.jpg

josh-hartnett-sophia-lie-oslo-fashion-week-05.jpg

justjared.com

^ I think Josh and Sophia looks amazing together :heart: But gosh, I'm so envy to this girl! Josh is a candy :wub: I was watching Wicker Park this weekend and my heart stopped everytime he was on the screen :crush:

I still feel like it's taken a while for him to grow into himself, it was only really five years or so for me, that he truly started to be attractive. I met him quite often when he was in London (not in a stage door stalker kind of way) doing Rain Man, really nice guy.

^hey littlepaperstars do you know by any chance why his career stalled the way it did, I mean he barely registers now, and he used to be so in demand.

Josh Hartnett with Peter Ash Lee on set:

Bunraku > Promotional Stills

luckynumberjosh

20 July - NYC Stroll with Sophia

same source

13 July - NYC Stroll with Sophia

same source

12 July - Soho Shopping with Sophia

same source

02 June - NYC with Erica Christensen

29 June - NYC Stroll with Neon Green Sunglasses

02 July - NYC Stroll

same source

^hey littlepaperstars do you know by any chance why his career stalled the way it did, I mean he barely registers now, and he used to be so in demand.

I don't know for sure, we never really had that sort of conversation but I always got the feeling he began to get a bit disillusioned with it. Most likely he wasn't being offered the sort of roles he wanted. I have always felt both he and Jake Gyllenhaal were on a parallel in terms of career ideals, you just know their names were mentioned in the same breath at same many meetings to discuss castings for things (this is not a comparison between the two). Jake seems to have embraced that where as I think Josh railed against it a bit, that's why he came here to do theatre. I feel sometimes these younger actors, particularly the ones who hit big early on always struggle and it's 50/50 as to whether they go with it or not. He seems not to have and is picking smaller more challenging projects. The problem with that being that if you let the power you built up slip then you don't even get the projects offered to you. I don't think any actor can live on blockbusters alone but I think occasionally you have to pay your dues to keep up the profile that allows you to do the smaller jobs and I think by him not doing that it's come back to bite him in the *** a bit. Thats just my two cents, I could be totally wrong!:lol:

01 July - NYC Stroll with Sophia

01 June - Gucci & The Cinema Society Present "La Dolce Vita" Screening

same source

31 May - Lunch at St. Ambroeus cafe (NYC)

26 May - El Museo Del Barrio Gala at Cipriani

same source

11 May - Soho Stroll (NYC)

23 May - Soho Stroll (NYC)

luckynumberjosh

09 May - Soho Stroll (NYC)

Singularity > Promotional Stills

same source

@littlepaperstars thanks so much for the answer. I guess with the new crop of guys coming up in Hollywood, he has a very slim chnace of ever coming up on the radar. But again let's face it he is no Ryan Gosling in terms of talent.

I don't know... I really think he is talented enough to land good roles and good movies. I feel depressed not seeing him on the screen. He really is my absolutely favourite actor. Hot, goodlooking, charming and talented :heart:
And what I find even more depressing is that he actually landed a good movies in the past :ermm: Why not now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddttss
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->