Julien Dossena - Designer, Creative Director of Paco Rabanne

grindr has really produced the latest crop of designers
SOOOOOO true.

I mean...gay male designers showing off is not new, per se, John greased up and bare chested at the end of his shows, Marc Jacobs Bang, McQueen in a wife beater, YSL's nude fragrance ad, Rick Owens' wax figures, Tom Ford, etc.

But there's something about this new crop....idk what it is...it's kind of off putting. Like their work and personas are so meek and pedestrian, and then they kind of do these sl*tty Instagram selfies...very basic. At least with the previous generation, there was some production element and it was in line with their performative creativity and fashion.

Last edited:
Ugh his clothes are fine and all, but his work doesn’t have any soul or heartbeat. He is one of those designers that just seems to chase a “cool girl” look. I suppose that’s valid, but I personally don’t see the appeal or the hype.

So unfortunate he’s become more and more gimmicky and tricksy, with such obnoxious styling to boot with every new offering, just to keep up with the cool girls. However, unlike so many others these days, there’s some talent here— buried under all the annoying styling and desperate statement designs. His was the best by far with the Gaultier collab. He shows he can easily carry a House’s signatures as titanic as Gaultier's, while still contributing his own in a fresh and interesting concoction. But MAS’ touch is so obnoxious, she’s fast becoming the Lady Gaga of styling. Frankly, she’s dragging Nicolas down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->