Gap names Patrick Robinson EVP of Design

I see a lot of similarities to A.P.C. in here, just that it appears a little more cool than what they've done in the past couple seasons.

The overall image of Gap as a sweatshop-company and mass market retailer might put certain people off from buying, but the clothes themselves look nice to me - simple, wearable, with a slight vintage-y, tomboy-ish vibe.

i was one of those people that drank the kool-aid in the 80s...most of my basics (jeans, cords, sweaters, tees) were from the gap, i even worked there...:lol:
but the love died in the nineties and early 00...the fits were totally off and their take on trendy just didn't work...
i've been in the gap a few times over the last few weeks, and i do really like alot of what i see (and i've bought a few things)...
the problem is it's too "fall" and not so "transition" clothing, which could be why it's not really moving...
the plaid shirts, etc. are well cut and pretty, but the colors scream october, not august...
if you go into abercrombie, they don't have alot of sweaters, etc. in stores now...they still have denim minis, lightweight cargo pants, and those ubiquitious t-shirts...

besides, i like to think the gap consumer isn't the same as the abercrombie consumer...^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
^ That's for sure kim, Abercrombie is usually my store of choice over the gap for casual basics. I think since both stores are known for good jeans, shirts and knits people inevitably wind up choosing one over the other.

But I actually wound up going into the Gap today to see what the new stuff was like and I have to say I liked it, though I liked the womens stuff more than the mens. That cocoa colored tweed blazer pictured above was particularly nice....nice enough that I would've like it for myself if they had it for men too. The color in person is really nice for fall, it had an almost pinkish hue to it, at least in the sunlight coming in from outside.

from the pictures above, the collection seem to look pretty interesting. Im planning to head to the mall tommmorow and might probably head to gap and hopefully i'm not dissapointed. the last time i actualy bought something there was a hoodie.There aren't many things that i fnd interesting there. I mean sure there's the basics and blah but then again somethings are just boring leaving me to not buy anything. Hopefully patrick reinvents or does something that doesn't lead to the gap shutting down for good. i really can't imagine that. :(

I'm liking what I'm seeing in these images...

i think what kim is saying could definitely be true.. that the clothes are more fall than summer/transitional..

i think/hope that with back to school season upon us that sales will pick up... (though this collection looks more sophisticated than the typical "back to school" style.. maybe for college students?)

it's tough because GAP has sort of been out of the running and losing the popularity contest for so long that nothing will work until people start to rediscover it and i think word of mouth will have a lot to do with their success (if it happens)...

i really want to get in there and check out their plaids ^_^

but for me, and for many others i'm sure, GAP hasn't been a "go-to" destination for YEARS..

if their sales improve it will certainly be gradual..
and i think we're going to be hearing a lot of: "where did you get that?" "I can't believe that's from the GAP!" types of statements..

I bought the double breasted gray leather jacket - the leather has a cool almost washed finish, and it is a great color. I wish I had a real life photo for you guys - I think it looks better in real life than in the stock photo.

gp498580-00p01v01.jpg

[image from Gap.com]

^ See, I didn't notice anything like that for men, and I'd personally love a jacket like that. And it wouldn't even be hard to translate it for menswear, just drop the hem and pockets to a man's natural waist and you're set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree - in fact, I think the slightly masculine look of the jacket is part of the appeal (think of it worn with a feminine and rather vintage-y dress). I think the women's collection seems better than the men's so far.

that jacket looks nice!

What's the price point for something like that?

i need to get over to the gap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->