Just a Thought on LV bashing...

I always wonder why the lv monogram canvas draws the most criticism for not being leather when there are plenty of equally, and often more, expensive designer monogram bags out there (gucci, dior). I can respect people simply not liking the color or the styles, but I don't understand why lv gets the most heat for its lack of leather or logos but other brands do not.

LilyGirl said:
I always wonder why the lv monogram canvas draws the most criticism for not being leather when there are plenty of equally, and often more, expensive designer monogram bags out there (gucci, dior). I can respect people simply not liking the color or the styles, but I don't understand why lv gets the most heat for its lack of leather or logos but other brands do not.

I guess that's because Lv prices go up so often (as I mentioned 3 to 4 times last year) but other brands don't. So, some people start wondering, why pay that much for a "canvas" bag?! And plus more people buy LV than other brands and that's what put LV under the spot light.

Why is it that the only thing that people can ever say about people who hate Louis Vuitton is that they're haters? It's funny how people can't stand other people having an opinion.

LilyGirl said:

LV monogram bags occupy a significantly higher price point than the Gucci monogram canvas line. They're more similar in price to Bottega Venetas, but BV justifies their premium with ingenious design, precious materials, and outstanding craftsmanship - all of which are lacking in the LV monogram range.

Orochian said:
LV monogram bags occupy a significantly higher price point than the Gucci monogram canvas line. They're more similar in price to Bottega Venetas, but BV justifies their premium with ingenious design, precious materials, and outstanding craftsmanship - all of which are lacking in the LV monogram range.

I totally disagree with that. the gucci monogtram bags are just as expensive. for ex, the large monogram horsebit hobo is $1000+ and this small shoulder bag is $600:

F4L4205_ag.jpg

the dior saddle bag is $1000. the 30 lv monogram speedy is around $540. there is no bv in that price point for the reasons you described -- I agree that it's on a totally different level in materials and craftsmanship. as chinalove said, it's all a matter of opinion whether you like lv or not and believe me, I've gone through periods when I haven't liked lv at all. but you can't deny that for some reason, lv brings out the lovers and the haters in people.

Orochian said:

good point! gucci and dior and a lot of others charge crazy amounts for bags with so little leather. i just think LV bags love to be hated and hate to be loved by so many people! i used to not like them, but they're growing on me and now i reall y want one!!:woot:

I guess, at this point, I'd say I don't hate LV, and I will never hate LV, but my love for LV bags in general is cooling down too given the the reasons I listed in my previous very long post. But there are always some models I still love a lot.

LilyGirl said:
I totally disagree with that. the gucci monogtram bags are just as expensive. for ex, the large monogram horsebit hobo is $1000+ and this small shoulder bag is $600:

F4L4205_ag.jpg

the dior saddle bag is $1000. the 30 lv monogram speedy is around $540. there is no bv in that price point for the reasons you described -- I agree that it's on a totally different level in materials and craftsmanship. as chinalove said, it's all a matter of opinion whether you like lv or not and believe me, I've gone through periods when I haven't liked lv at all. but you can't deny that for some reason, lv brings out the lovers and the haters in people.

I'm a guy so I'm not that familar with the women's lines in both companies, but with their luggage and men's bags, Vuittons are definitely significantly more expensive than Gucci, and in some cases, even Bottega Veneta. A few weeks ago I was considering a rather simple Taiga messenger bag (canvas with leather trim), but was scared away by its $1000+ price tag. I ended up getting two BV messengers on sale instead, and saved myself quite a few bucks in the process. One is a brown calf skin flight bag, the other a white deer skin medium-sized messenger. Granted, they were 50% off so I got lucky, but even at full retail they render LV's products completely, and unjustifiably, overpriced.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe taiga is a grained leather, not canvas, hence the price. damier is coated canvas like the monogram. whatever. it sounds like you wouldn't buy the lv under any circumstance, which is obviously your choice.

LilyGirl said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe taiga is a grained leather, not canvas, hence the price. damier is coated canvas like the monogram. whatever. it sounds like you wouldn't buy the lv under any circumstance, which is obviously your choice.

The Viktor, which is the model I was considering, is comprised of a front flap and trim details in Taiga leather, with everything else being canvas - hence my description of the bag being canvas with leather trim. Now try to justify charging $1050 for that, when in Bottega Veneta you can get a hand-made full-leather messenger for the same amount. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Orochian said:
The Viktor, which is the model I was considering, is comprised of a front flap and trim details in Taiga leather, with everything else being canvas - hence my description of the bag being canvas with leather trim. Now try to justify charging $1050 for that, when in Bottega Veneta you can get a hand-made full-leather messenger for the same amount. :rolleyes:

hey, I love bv so you're preaching to the choir. it would never have even occurred to me to compare lv to leather bv -- you did. but on the topic of overpriced non-leather bags, let's not forget bv's marco polo line (which I think they still make) which is a kind of textured rubber and their unfortunate foray into monogram. ick.

I don't really mind the Marco Polo line myself, the durability of coated canvas suits perfectly the purpose and functional requirements of luggage pieces - and unlike LV, Tomas Maier has cleverly chosen to limit the use of that material strictly to their luggage range. They're also discreet to the point of nondescriptness, so I'm not sure how they can be considered as a "foray into monogram".

And more importantly, they're priced significantly lower than BV's leather handbags. I see that as a sense of rationality and integrity in their pricing policy. LV on the other hand charges pretty much the same ridiculous amount for their bags, regardless of materials. The monogram canvas version of the $1050 Viktor, for example, is the $1000 Bastille. A whopping difference of $50, despite being a predominantly canvas item.

No hostility here, just pointing out some facts I find rather odd. :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
you misunderstand: marco polo and the bv monogram are two different things. sheesh, are you a lawyer? I feel like I'm briefing the case of lv versus bv when I never even suggested they were comparable. whatever it is that we're disagreeing about, you win, okay? I give up. and if you have a problem with lv's pricing, take it up with bernard arnault.

here's a pic of my Viktor:
Viktor1.jpg

if you think they're over-priced, no-one's twisting your arm to buy it. if you can't seem to justify or comprehend the reasons behind the price - and LV never goes on sale - it's probably not for you. :wink:

Sharing an opinion does not call for mean-spirited and vile comments. This is why I chose the term "haters" since the negativity to LV is almost comparable to hate.

- L

I hate the brown LV monogram canvas, its ugly to me. Any more questions? :P

I absolutly love the brown mono canvas. I dislike the color monogram. Ick.

I personally wouldn't buy one. But I had a clothesmaking teacher who was in her 50's and she had a (yes here comes that word again) 'classic' sense of style, and she suited hers, I used to think they were very ugly but the faeces colours have grown on me :D

Hi Everyone,

Im a newbie here, and (sorry) Im an LV fanatic - I don't know what it is about them, I love my Monogram Speedy - I know there are loads of fakes out there, but the magic for me is knowing it is real. I guess I don't care if other people question its authenticity. Loads of people comment on my bag, and as I have major body issues, having the bag as a conversation starter has done me wonders.

For me, Its not about the obviously visible logo, or about wanting to scream 'hey, look what I can afford' I just really love the bags. :wink:

PrincessGina said:
For me, Its not about the obviously visible logo, or about wanting to scream 'hey, look what I can afford' I just really love the bags. :wink:

And that's what it's all about! Carry a bag you love. Carry a bag that makes you feel good. Because, in the end, that's all that matters.

Welcome to the forum :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->