Karen Gillan

I love the black sheer dress on her! She looks really beautiful in those pictures. Her hair, make up, everything. :heart:

The outfit at the hospital ward opening, however, looks like it's going to swallow her up!

Doctor Who "Let's Kill Hitler" Screening at BFI
article00d7255a10000057.jpg

article20265200d7257b80.jpg

article00d7256850000057.jpg
article00d7256c50000057.jpg

article20265200d7263490.jpg

dailymail

Not sure about the nude dress with such pale skin, altough in a weird sort of way it does seem to work, it shouldn't. I don't love it though. I love the Vogue shoot, I'm really looking forward to seeing her as Jean Shrimpton, the other part of that piece being (slightly OT) that I can't begin to explain how pleased I am to see Aneurin doing well for himself, he's such a star in waiting, he's been on my radar for so long now.

Not sure about the nude dress with such pale skin, altough in a weird sort of way it does seem to work, it shouldn't. I don't love it though. I love the Vogue shoot, I'm really looking forward to seeing her as Jean Shrimpton, the other part of that piece being (slightly OT) that I can't begin to explain how pleased I am to see Aneurin doing well for himself, he's such a star in waiting, he's been on my radar for so long now.
Interesting, that is one of my favorite colors for pale complexions.:blush:

The shoes bother me....but, they are very her.

Fashion's Night Out - Lucy in Disguise London, England - 08.09.11.
lucyindisguise6wenn3501.jpg

entertainment.ie

The last two dresses are beautiful. Though sometimes, I really dislike her choice of shoes.

She has such a pretty face. Agreed, her taste in shoes is questionable, but I like her adorable, vintage-inspired dresses a lot. And she blew me away in this week's Who episode. :flower:

^she was so great as old Amy!
She wore a baby pink sweater during her driving lessons in DW Confidential that was cute, very retro :smile:

Was going to say about the shoes but someone else got there first! Her outfits look great and she has some lovely dresses but the shoes... :ermm: Some of them look a bit 1990s just in their shape and some look a bit 'mumsy' and then some just don't go with the outfit - like those patent loafers with the dress at the TV Choice awards! I get that mega heels can be uncomfortable but you can get cute ballet pumps which are comfy and stylish! Sometimes she pulls it off, particularly when she's wearing ankle boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karen talking about her role in Inadmissible Evidence at the Donmar (I saw this press night and she was wonderful)

When we meet in the south London rehearsal space where she is preparing for Inadmissible Evidence, the Scots-born Gillan is wearing a small tartan dress with a big round white collar and looking for all the world like a red-headed Jean Shrimpton. Gillan will, in fact, be playing Shrimpton in a film about the model’s affair with David Bailey, to be shown on BBC Four in January.
“I love the Sixties,” says Gillan, who is charming company, very voluble and sporting a lot of black eye make up. “I wish I had been born in the Sixties [she was born in 1987].
“My favourite band are the Who – not that I’ve ever seen them live. I’ve only seen Roger Daltrey at the unveiling of a plaque to Keith Moon in Soho; Pete Townshend didn’t even turn up.” She seems sweetly unaware that her star status may be able to bring her a little closer to such heroes in future.
Inadmissible Evidence was written in 1964. It comes nearly a decade after Osborne’s most famous plays, Look Back in Anger (1956) and The Entertainer (1957). This paper’s theatre critic, Charles Spencer, thinks it is Osborne’s best play of all, if too long (the Donmar, wisely, is putting on a cut version). Maitland has even more rage in him than Look Back in Anger’s original “angry young man”, Jimmy Porter. In fact this is what attracted Gillan to the play.
“I think the writing’s really amazing,” she says. “It’s so full of hate. It sounds like John Osborne ranting. It goes to a place that I haven’t encountered before. It’s all jagged, sometimes it doesn’t even fit together logically. You really have to investigate it to understand it.”
Her character, Shirley, is a very juicy one, even if she is short-lived. She gets a stream of stroppy quips to say to Maitland as he bullies and moans at her – and then what Gillan describes as one “massive amazing showdown scene” in which she announces that she’s pregnant and then resigns, leaving Maitland astonished and abandoned. “She exits in flames of glory,” says Gillan.
“She’s described as this 'half-baked cheap show girl’ in the play – so she’s this young girl pretending to be something sassier than she is, while announcing that she’s pregnant and losing the man she loves.”
In customary Osborne style, the stream of abuse and one-liners Shirley and Bill hurl at each other denote affection. The baby could even be Bill’s, it’s not made clear. It is indeed a corker of a scene.
But surely it’s also a pretty intimidating one for Gillan to be performing to the hushed cognoscenti who will be seated just feet away from her in one of London’s most intimate theatres — an experience that presents some contrast to the cosy atmosphere of the Doctor Who set?
“Oh yes,” she says, laughing. “I’m completely terrified. But that’s what makes it exciting. When Matt [Smith] and Arthur [Darvill, who plays Amy’s husband Rory] heard I had a part at the Donmar they were so pleased. They were, like, you’ve got to grab this with both hands. So that’s what I’m going to do.”
This part doesn’t as yet mark the start of a bigger departure into theatre. Doctor Who will take over Gillan’s life once again next year — she’s in the Christmas special (already filmed) but also in the new series, to be made in 2012. But, generally, she’d love to do more. Perhaps something brand new at the Royal Court. “That would be exciting — and scary” (she frequently equates the two).
She’s more wary of Shakespeare, not having had much acting training — she left drama school after only a few months for a small television part; Doctor Who came along shortly after. “But I’d love to play Lady Macbeth. I hear she’s from Shneckie, that’s what we call [Gillan’s hometown of] Inverness, locally.”
Lady Macbeth is a role that would certainly tick both the exciting and scary boxes. But while we wait for it, it may well prove worth the overnight queue for one of the Donmar’s day tickets to catch the flame-haired Gillan going out nightly in those “flames of glory”.
Inadmissible Evidence is at the Donmar Warehouse, London WC2 (0844 871 7624), until Nov 26

Telegraph.co.uk

leaving "Coco de Mer" the UK's original Erotic Luxury Boutique in London, 20/10/2011

thecelebritycity.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->