Karl Lagerfeld - Designer

Enamoured by this snippet of Chanel Fall 1998 show. So simple, chic and Mitford sister-esque. You can see a strong calling towards the likes of Watanabe, Yamamoto and Garcon (and others) entwined with post war 20s Chanel. Just fantastic, and so smooth to look at with those buttery autumnal colours and textures:

One of his best shows

I must say I’m not the biggest fan of that Chanel era, but I appreciate that version of himself as well. More austere, quite focused in the silhouette, more elegant and relaxed… cute.

Crazy how sloppy the background was 🤣
Funny you mention the backdrop for the collection because that’s what I also really like about this 😂

It is kind of sloppy but in a humble way. I also think it’s such a nice visual cleanser compared to the sets and mazes we see with current shows.

Funny you mention the backdrop for the collection because that’s what I also really like about this 😂

It is kind of sloppy but in a humble way. I also think it’s such a nice visual cleanser compared to the sets and mazes we see with current shows.
I was clearly a season where they had to tone down for financial reasons but that's when a great designer shines through and he did love the hats look at those beautiful coats long skirts it's pure fall and it's a fresh Chanel even by today's standards.

I was clearly a season where they had to tone down for financial reasons but that's when a great designer shines through and he did love the hats look at those beautiful coats long skirts it's pure fall and it's a fresh Chanel even by today's standards.
I don’t think it was a season they had to « tone down » per sey because all the big shows in the 90’s were held at Le Carrousel du Louvre. So technically, it was more budget conscious to hold shows there.

This show was held at an Hotel Particulier so the set was all build-in. Everytime Karl showed outside of LCDL, it created a welcomed sense of proximity.

He did a lot of that in the late 90’s whether it was for Couture and RTW. We also have to remember that in the late 90’s, the younger designers who came to town or who were the buzz of the city showed in spaces outside of Le Carrousel. And one thing about Karl, he saw his competition in the new crowd and never in his peers, age-range wise.

Look at this pure insanity ! leather fur the best of the best real luxury. Now they show a white cotton shirt and that's the star of the show. Hoodies have taken over well at least we have YouTube for now. 😉

Can someone please help me find or direct to me a French interview with Karl. It was probably in the last ten years, and it revolved around the creating of the stage for a haute couture show. He states in the interview how everyone told him to stay away from Chanel when he was offered it.

Can someone please help me find or direct to me a French interview with Karl. It was probably in the last ten years, and it revolved around the creating of the stage for a haute couture show. He states in the interview how everyone told him to stay away from Chanel when he was offered it.
Is it in the Netflix haute couture Chanel episode of 7 days out?

Harper's Bazaar September 1990
"Crossing Borders"
Photographer/Subject: Karl Lagerfeld

HB Archive

Vanity Fair October 1986
"Piaggi Pizazz" By Marian McEvoy
Illustrations: Karl Lagerfeld
Subject: Anna Piaggi

Vanity Fair via justaguy

Vanity Fair December 1984
"Vanity Fair's 1984 Hall of Fame: Euroflash"
Photographer: Annie Leibovitz
Subject: Karl Lagerfeld, Andrée Putman

Vanity Fair via justaguy

I miss him quite a bit too. But more as a person than a designer. I've always loved hearing him speak with his slightly arrogant manner. His conversations and interviews are all legendary, for me preferably in German. I have always admired his humor, intellect and erudition, his natural sophistication. And in fact the same script-like stories kept coming out, but these stories also underscore something myth-like. And everyone here will be able to quote at least three stories that he has told over and over again. The way of responding to uncomfortable/private questions was also scripted. simply delicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aieshai
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->