Karl Lagerfeld-I'll Take Manhattan

softgrey said:
i even bought some of his h&m pieces...
and so did every other editor in nyc...btw.... :wink: :innocent:

Well that's ok because at least the price range was VERY VERY reasonnable, but buying Karl Lagerfeld's new overpriced line is VERY VERY different, because you're shelling out a lot of money.

While customers who bought his H&M stuff had "nothing to loose".

the h&m pieces weren't bad at all. made very well for the price. material was def not luxury, but the construction was solid.

i'll hold my tongue on this until I see the pieces for myself. who knows, maybe they will blow us all away.

oceanharlot said:
the h&m pieces weren't bad at all. made very well for the price.

Agreed.

But the Karl Lagerfeld line will probably be a deception since I expect it to be the opposite.... But like Oceanharlot said, we'll see.....

softgrey said:
^^hear hear!!!.... paullw....:lol:
*hell...
i even bought some of his h&m pieces...
and so did every other editor in nyc...btw.... :wink: :innocent:

Hahaha, I remember months ago when the H&M lagerfeld stuff was out. Ohhh I dropped like $500 that day. I ended up selling EVERYTHING but the double breasted coat.... but that coat has integrated itself deep into my daily wear (well.. at least during colder weather!)

Ah, I was caught up in the fervor.

-Albert

Paullw said:
But he can concentrate on Chanel, as well as throwing out crap in his coffeebreak. !

exactly, thats why Chanel looks so boring most* (not to say ALL of) the time :P

*admiting i liked the little i saw from the Chanel resort 06 line :blush:

I wonder if he'll let fat people wear Karl Lagerfeld...:innocent:

Mr. Lagerfeld and Ms. Lopez need to hop the next rocket out of this world and come back in 5 years. It's hard to watch people you respected at one time sell-out and completely destroy their image...Dorian Gray style.

Foxie-Pooh said:
I wonder if he'll let fat people wear Karl Lagerfeld...:innocent:
:lol:... :woot:

good one!!!...
it will surely have to go up to a size 14 to sell in department stores...
(not to say that 14 is 'fat'...)
but miss karlotta seems to have amnesia about his own 'chubby' days... :rolleyes: ^_^

OMG! Im sooo excited! :buzz:

I love Lagerfeld's asthetic, it's very crisp and clean, I hope it has nice materials, consistent cutting, and good construction, unlike Tommy Hilfiger's line, which is some crap. Im so excited.

softgrey said:
but miss karlotta seems to have amnesia about his own 'chubby' days... :rolleyes: ^_^

Maybe it's similar to (some) ex-smokers... The most rabid anti-smokers are often former smokers... :rolleyes:

tott said:
Maybe it's similar to (some) ex-smokers... The most rabid anti-smokers are often former smokers... :rolleyes:

Interesting and true, I know a lady like this :blink:

and Hey Tott! Sorry had to say that.

It’s an inevitable evolution for Karl Lagerfeld. Having the globalization in mind what else could he do in order to maximize his brand name and by this ensure his exclusivity through his other schemes?

Pastry said:
That's odd. I can't remember where I read this, but I clearly remember reading an interview with Lagerfeld where he states that he absolutely hates the idea of diffusion lines.:blink: He said something like, "I hate cheaper designer lines because it's like saying, 'You can't afford us, so here's something cheaper.'"

I remember reading that too, but I think that what he meant was that he hated designer DIFFUSION lines. It had nothing to do with a dislike of less expensive, more accessible clothing. This "Karl Lagerfeld" line isn't a diffision line, though. It is an actual, separate line at lower price points, from what I gather. It is something that, from the start, is priced lower. Not something that is a high-end main line and THEN becomes more accessible (like D&G, Armani Collezioni, etc.)

So, what I think that he meant was that he doesn't like the idea of a high-end designer lowering prices to be more accessible. I think that what he'd offer instead is a completely different line at lower price points. For example, instead of Lagerfeld Gallery Diffusion or Chanel diffusion, you have Karl Lagerfeld... a whole different line.

John

umm...still sounds like a diffusion line to me...
:unsure:...

same here softie.. sounds like a VERY diffusion line to me as well :D

softgrey said:
wow...i can't believe all the haters here...

everyone sounds incredibly negative...:ninja:
and then in the young designer thread everyone says that you have to be willing to swallow your pride and do what you have to do...and not be on an ego trip...

puffy isn't allowed to do clothes cause he's not a 'real' designer...
but the designer of CHANEL HAUTE COUTURE isn't allowed to do one either?!..
come on...:lol:
it's just CLOTHES!!!...alll this talk about 'selling out'...
why shouldn't people get paid well for what they do if they are talented?!?!
must someone starve in a garret or cut off their own ear to earn some respect...??!!

It's true, there is a limited range of things a designer can do that will earn praise, but that doesn't mean we should cut them all a break -- because it's not just clothes. There's all kinds of politics involved in the fashion and design business and there is also money involved in this whole talk. When Walmart sells another bicycle, it's not just bicycles, because you have to account for all the politics with the mom-and-pop bike store versus the corporation. Then, I guess my only "sellout" complaint is that he comes across as completely insincere:

“I didn’t like the Eighties in New York. Suddenly, the mood is different. It’s the first time I feel at home in New York.”

What? Suddenly when you saw a business op your mood changed?

Asked to describe the consumer for whom he’ll now be designing, Lagerfeld declined to put that woman into words.
“A designer proposes, and it’s up to people to find it. ... I want it to reflect the energy you find in New York.”

Can he be any more generic? If we weren't to criticize this, we would just be part of the passive commercial set...

:huh:

to be fair...
if anyone hasn't been to nyc in the 80's...
i can tell you that it is a VERY different place today...

VERY!!!...:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
softgrey said:
wow...i can't believe all the haters here...

everyone sounds incredibly negative...:ninja:
and then in the young designer thread everyone says that you have to be willing to swallow your pride and do what you have to do...and not be on an ego trip...

puffy isn't allowed to do clothes cause he's not a 'real' designer...
but the designer of CHANEL HAUTE COUTURE isn't allowed to do one either?!..:wacko:
:lol:

come on...:lol:
it's just CLOTHES!!!...alll this talk about 'selling out'...
why shouldn't people get paid well for what they do if they are talented?!?!
must someone starve in a garret or cut off their own ear to earn some respect...??!!

PUH-lease...that is such nonsense...:lol:
:ninja:
I totally agree. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
murmuration
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->