Kris Van Assche

The White Room
Sharif Hamza's Poetic Take on Dior Homme Fall 2010

Kris Van Assche’s fall 2010 Dior Homme collection is a triumphant affirmation of the house’s aesthetic for the new decade: clean lines, translucent layers of fabric, deconstructionist touches and oversized silhouettes. Quietly iconoclastic, it's a tempting and elegant proposition for men who have grown out of their skinny jeans. The standout piece of the collection is the floor-length trench, a deceptively light garment that undulated elegantly down the runway in Paris in June. Unveiled under a ring of fluorescent lights, accompanied by the Sisters of Mercy’s “Temple of Love,” the piece mixes bold 80s power dressing with the swaddled folds of fabric Van Assche had witnessed in Indian dress on a trip to the country last August. The collection’s sensuous feeling of movement provided the inspiration for today’s film, created to mark the occasion of Dior Homme's first UK flagship, which opened this week in the Westfield Center, London. The entrancing vignette is styled by Robbie Spencer and directed by photographer Sharif Hamza, who conceived it as “something like a fashion show that never happened,” setting it in a mysterious, bleached corridor (recreated from a Polaroid of an anonymous interior that had been lying on Hamza’s desk for some months). According to Hamza, the film creates a “dialogue without words,” in which nuanced glances and a slowly advancing zoom lens come together for a mysterious, cinematic experience.

Interview with Kris Van Assche on Dior Homme Fall 2009

Loosely Speaking
Kris Van Assche Talks Through Dior Homme's New Look

Dior Homme’s creative director Kris Van Assche worked as assistant to the house’s former designer, Hedi Slimane, and then assumed the position in March 2007. He has also spearheaded his own eponymous line since 2005. Van Assche's vision for Dior Homme has been to move away from the hyper-slim silhouette it pioneered in the mid 2000s and toward a more sumptuous masculinity. Here, Van Assche talks to NOWNESS about soft military coats, Johnny Depp and finally getting comfortable at Dior.

What were your inspirations for fall 2010?

The first thing that I told my team at the beginning of September was that I wanted to make military coats, but I wanted them to be very light. Usually when you find these old coats they are so stiff they can stand up by themselves. I wanted them to be comfortable and soft, in between a military blanket and a coat. It’s this idea of comfort clothing.

How does comfort square with military uniform though?

For me military influences are always in the back of my head because I want the result to be masculine. Obviously I’m working on a luxury product and I want to use these great materials, but I’m not really into the trashy mood of fashion, it’s not my thing. It should never look pretentious or precious. My influences come from very different directions. I was in India in August and that’s where the collection’s color palette came from. All the men there wear these really toned-down, dusty colors so the idea of wearing a coat as a blanket is linked directly to India. But when you get closer to a show it is important that you get away from the initial inspiration, in case you make it look too historical.

There’s a really strong narrative between your spring and fall collections. Were you consciously evolving the aesthetic from last season?

Well, last spring for me was a turning point. I found a collection that feels right for me at Dior and for fashion today. But I was very scared about the reaction because it was personal and it wasn’t exactly what the house was expecting. But their reactions were really good and it encouraged me to do winter with that same idea of comfort, luxury, simplicity and detailing. It’s something I am very much at ease with. Much more so than with sequins!

Where do you draw the line between your work for Kris Van Assche and your work for Dior?

From day one it was clear to me that at Dior we have an in-house atelier, and I should benefit from working with an atelier of luxury and craftsmanship––something I obviously don’t have with my personal team. At the beginning [Dior] was much more theatrical than me, much more than how it’s ended up being now. Now it’s become a Belgian view on luxury, whereas my label is a Belgian view on creativity. Both of them can cohabit now.

What is your take on Dior as a larger entity—are you ever inspired by the women’s collections?

Dior Homme is totally separate from the women’s. We’re even in different buildings. It’s been like this since day one and it is also the strength of the house.

You created an art zine last year, Londerzeel. Are you planning any more exhibitions or art publications?

Not in the near future. What I enjoyed so much about Londerzeel was that it made me meet really interesting people. But at one point I was creating six collections a year as well as an artistic exhibition. I mean, that together with the economic crisis… it was too much. When there’s something interesting coming along then we go for it. I had a photo project with Sarah Moon [for Dior Homme] that I really enjoyed. And that’s obviously something I will continue to do.

Do you have a favorite artist at the moment?

There is Andrea Mastrovito, an Italian artist who I worked with on my tiny little campaign for my own label. He is the most poetic person I’ve ever met in my whole life. I like [photographer] Jeff Burton a lot. I’m always looking for those kinds of people.

Is there a muse or celebrity that sums up Dior Homme fall 2010?

Some people have these big muses, but I don’t. But I really would love to dress Johnny Depp, if I had to choose one. That’s probably more because he’s not into fashion––[it would be] a huge challenge and I really like his universe. But I don’t have pictures of one person hanging up on my inspiration board. Each time I work on a piece, whether it be from Dior or my own label, I always imagine someone in it––it can be me, it can be a person in my team, it can be an 18-year-old or a 45-year-old.

What are your wardrobe staples for spring?

I’m actually quite happy in the Dior spring collection. The unfinished borders, the raw seams, I’m wearing quite a lot of those. I mix them up with my own label. It’s really a point where I’m at ease with both of them so I don’t think about them anymore.

nowness

FLEMISH FRATERNITY?: Dior Homme designer Kris Van Assche made a quick trip to Manhattan for a bash to christen the brand’s SoHo pop-up store on Thursday evening, which drew Dior-clad James Van Der Beek, Anton Yelchin, Sebastian Stan, Kevin Jonas and Logan Marshall-Green, the latter of whom has a lead role in the upcoming summer blockbuster “Prometheus.” Van Assche shares a Belgian heritage with his new women’s counterpart at Dior, Raf Simons, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they share design commonalities. “I think it’s a bit of a cliché, no?” he noted of any potential patrimony, adding of the Simons appointment: “I think its great news. Let’s just wait and see how he decides to express himself.”

Van Assche said he doesn’t yet know Simons personally. “We’ve never been in the same place at the same time so we never got close. But I hugely admire his work,” he noted.

The designer declined to shed any light on his own upcoming collections for Dior Homme or for his own label, but offered, “I’m in a happy mood, so that’s a thought.” Before showing those two lines this summer, he will travel on June 1 to open a new Dior Homme flagship in Shanghai.
wwd.com

very interesting to see his remarks on what really is a massive step for antwerp fashion. for this small,unassuming yet highly cultivated fashion city to have two of their very own at one of the biggest fashion houses must be such a thrilling prospect.

It’s a good time to be Kris Van Assche. Now entering his 10th season at Dior Homme, recent years have seen the Belgian designer emerging from the long, impeccably cut shadow cast by his predecessor, proposing a discrete new vision for the house in the process.

As spring/summer’s parade of pure white attests, Van Assche has shifted the focus towards a lighter – though no less earnest – style, loosening up the house’s forbidding, breathe-in silhouette in favour of something more fluid and free thinking. Pairing an ongoing desire for minimalism with an implicit sense of luxury and craft, his endeavours have, at times, been met with a mixed response, yet today suggest bold new possibilities for the brand. Meanwhile, his own label continues to operate at that familiar yet ever-alluring intersection between adolescence and adulthood. Perhaps Van Assche doesn’t play the game as much as some of his contemporaries do and, as he himself candidly concedes, nothing can be taken for granted (his main ambition? “Simply to keep going”). But considering the high stakes and even higher turnaround of most French houses, Van Assche has, to all intents and purposes, achieved establishment status. Right now, at any rate, the man is calm, collected and inspired…

GLENN WALDRON: “Hello Kris, what are you up to right now?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “It’s the last week of work on the January shows so I’m basically rushing around, trying to get everything done before Christmas.”

GLENN WALDRON: “Is it crazy?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “It’s not crazy exactly, but only because I don’t let it get crazy. I’m a very constant worker.”

GLENN WALDRON: “A big list maker?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “Oh yes, constantly. I really need things to be in a certain order and, as long as I can finish those lists, then everything is okay. I kind of freak out when my agenda gets all mixed up and then I lose control. But I have to keep telling myself, ‘I’m fine, it’s all fine.’”

GLENN WALDRON: “You’ve been doing all this for quite a while. Surely it’s a well-oiled machine by now.”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “Ha, well, I’ve had my own label for eight years and I’ve been at Dior for almost five, so yeah, I’ve gotten used to a certain working rhythm. But then each new season has new issues that need to be researched and worked out. That’s also what keeps it interesting, of course. Each season has new surprises.”

GLENN WALDRON: “What kind of stuff were you thinking about for the spring/summer collection?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “The title was Less and More. I had been doing this whole ‘Less Is More’ thing for the two seasons before that. In a way, it was about creating a blank page. When I got here, I didn’t really get the chance to do that. I mean, that’s the story of me at Dior, isn’t it? Usually, when you take over a house, it’s because the house is dying. But that wasn’t the case here. I took over a success story. And you can’t just tip everything in the garbage, burn things down and start from scratch. You can’t do that… So it just took much longer to get to that blank page – more of an evolution than a revolution. So that’s kind of what I was doing for the seasons when it was all about less is more – bringing it back to what I considered essential. And I kind of reached that with the winter season, where everything was extremely luxurious – very minimal and fluid and comfortable. Once that was done, I thought, okay, less is more is fine, but how about adding a little? So that was a new turning point. Thinking more about getting it right rather than just getting it minimal.”

GLENN WALDRON: “What’s your start point for any collection?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “It’s always my work with the atelier and a certain notion of working process. The fact that the first 10 outfits for spring/summer were white comes from the white fabric – the toile – we use to do the first try-outs. I’m one of those lucky people who has an in-house atelier and the fact that we can fit twice a week and constantly change and alter things is very inspiring. It was a way of saying that, at Dior, the working process is very interesting and you could actually put the working process on a catwalk.”

GLENN WALDRON: “Was there a moment when things started to click for you at Dior? “

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “Oh yes. It was the summer show five seasons ago. For the first time, I started to loosen up on the clothes and get rid of this stiff frame with which the Dior clothes were always made. I started showing transparent jackets, turning jackets inside out, trying to rework the insides of the jackets to make them more fluid on the outside. People were always talking to me about respecting a certain heritage, but it was at the point that I realised the real heritage at Dior was not the silhouette but a certain know-how. That opened up doors and windows to something new for me. And ever since that show we’ve gone simpler in terms of design – much more work on the inside than on the outside. At one point, the clothes were much more beautiful on the inside than on the outside… ”

GLENN WALDRON: “How do you think the Dior customer has changed in recent years?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “The first thing to be said is that there are many more of them! There are a lot of new customers now. There’s still the young fashion kid but there is also a more traditional, luxury client who looks for well-tailored suiting. And I like that. The fact that we do young fashion and traditional tailoring – one inspires the other. I hope we are a perfect mixture between creativity and luxury.”

GLENN WALDRON: “Are you still inspired by the idea of youth? I think your attitude towards that changes as you get older… ”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “Well, I’ve never been so inspired by youth on its own. I’ve always liked this period where you move from childhood to adulthood, from a boy to a man. I’ve always liked this moment of change, of mutation into something else. At my own label, I’ve been playing with this idea for eight years now. Like, what would be the first suit a young guy is gonna wear as he enters the adult world? Even at Dior, it’s a permanent inspiration.”

GLENN WALDRON: “What’s inspiring you right now?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “That’s a horrible question, but I feel like my answer is gonna be even more horrible. Even for, like, last summer’s show, everything was all so bright and light and white. It was kind of like creating a bubble. I work in a very privileged environment but, still, you feel what is going on and there’s so much trouble. And the more trouble I see in the news and read about, the more I feel we should propose something to dream about. The tougher it gets around us, the lighter I want the clothes to be. Does that make any sense?”

GLENN WALDRON: “Yes, I think so.”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “I remember back when at the time when I was an assistant, people wouldn’t mind being uncomfortable in clothes. They were basically willing to suffer to look good. And I don’t know whether it’s me getting older or whether it’s the environment changing, but I feel like we should now try to make people look good but also make them feel better. That sounds a little cheesy, doesn’t it?”

GLENN WALDRON: “Well, it’s a curious time to be working in luxury, I guess – does it feel as relevant right now?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “Well there’s something extremely superficial about it – one could actually ask if there’s any sense in doing what we’re doing right now. But when so many things are going wrong, I think it’s even more essential to embellish the everyday, in whatever way we can. So it’s very essential and very superficial at the same time.”

GLENN WALDRON: “And what about work on your label – do you have a stronger personal connection to it? Maybe more creative freedom?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “No, I don’t. People assume that I have much more creative freedom at my company and that they put limits on me at Dior. But it’s much more complicated and subtle than that. Of course, at my own label I have no creative boundaries but I do have economic boundaries – there are so many things I can’t do because I basically don’t have the money to do them. So in that sense, I have much freedom at Dior. I don’t have creative boundaries at Dior either – I just have to make a much bigger collection and be able to dress a lot of different types of men. But I actually enjoy that. And then I get a lot of financial freedom to do the most creative, fantastical things. So there is something to be said for both brands. They allow me to dream and to keep my feet on the ground. There is something very balancing about it.”

GLENN WALDRON: “And what of unrealised ambitions?”

KRIS VAN ASSCHE: “Well, it’s all out there, isn’t it? My ambition is to keep going. I mean, let’s just be honest about it – most people are basically just waiting for me to fall flat on my face. And I’m still here. That’s what I’m doing and that’s my ambition. To become better and better. There is no secret about it.”
10magazine.com

Magazine: Manifesto
Issue: July/August
Cover Star: Kris Van Assche
Photography by Wiglius Bie

source designscene.net

Launching today on thecorner.com, KRISVANAASCHE is debuting the essential tuxedo for the winter season. i-D spoke to Kris about his versatile take on the tuxedo, and shot it on four different boys in four different ways.

Few menswear designers philosophise about the man’s wardrobe quite like Kris Van Assche. An essentialist at heart, the Belgian designer – who heads up both his own label KRISVANASSCHE and Dior Homme – fuses daywear, formalwear and sportswear into pieces which become as universal as the men who are meant to wear them. For the darkest weeks of the winter season, KRISVANASSCHE has collaborated with thecorner.com on a special edition navy tuxedo, featuring a two-button jacket with a black satin collar and navy pleated trousers with a black waistband and black satin stripes. Showing the versatility of the tuxedo, i-D online shot it on four boys – all tipped for greatness come the men’s shows – in four different ways, and caught up with Kris Van Assche to get his two cents on the tuxedo.

Why did you choose to do a tuxedo for thecorner.com? The idea was to propose something ‘exclusive’, very different from my KRISVANASSCHE collection. Tuxedos are worn on special occasions and therefore the concept of exclusiveness makes sense.

How did you approach this tuxedo? I always approach side projects in the same way as the rest of the collection; they complete the wardrobe of the imaginary man I have in mind. The ‘ideal KRISVANASSCHE man’ is never totally classic and never totally sportswear. He likes a beautiful suit but insists on being comfortable. He likes to be able to go anywhere at any time, without taking the risk of being ‘over’ or ‘under’ dressed. This tuxedo therefore takes some influences from sportswear jackets that make it less formal.

Are there any particular historical tuxedos or tuxedo-wearing men that stand out to you? Most images that stand out were tuxedos worn by women…

Where did you get your first tuxedo from? I got a tuxedo from my first Dior Homme collection. I had worked around a presentation of ‘morning’, ‘day’ and ‘evening’ wear, presented in three ‘tableaux’.

Do you think a tuxedo is an essential part of a man’s wardrobe? It really depends on the man; on some it really does look too precious. This ‘sportswear’ version is therefore a nice alternative.

The world of black tie comes with so much dandy gear. Are you into all these things or do you find them fussy? Again, it really depends on who we talk about. I do not have the habit of working these elements at KRISVANASSCHE where I like to think of my man as being ‘ruggedly’ elegant, not too fussy…. This tuxedo version is really toned down.

How strictly do you follow dress codes for events? I rarely go to events with strict dress codes. They freak me out. But when I need to, I always try to get away with the toned down version…

The KRISVANASSCHE tuxedo is available exclusively on thecorner.com
krisvanassche.com
thecorner.com

Text: Anders Christian Madsen
Photography: Amarpaul Kalirai
Styling: Madeleine Østlie
Hair: Jose Quijano
Photography Assistance: James King
Models: Anders Hayward, Conor Doherty, and Matthew Bell; all at Elite London, and Ben Allen at Select Model Management.
i-donline.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->