Kim Jones Confirmed at Dior Homme as Kris Van Assche Exits

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Kris Van Assche is leaving Dior Homme

Christian Dior SA has announced this morning that he's leaving the house.

EXCLUSIVE: Kris Van Assche Is Leaving Dior Homme
Kim Jones is to succeed him in the role, according to sources.

Emmanuel Fradin/WWD
PARIS — Kris Van Assche is leaving Dior Homme after 11 years and will take up a new assignment within the LVMH Group, WWD has learned.

An official announcement is expected imminently, marking the first big change at Christian Dior Couture since Pietro Beccari arrived as chairman and chief executive officer six weeks ago.

Dior indicated Van Assche’s successor would be named “subsequently.”

According to sources, Kim Jones will take up the plum design role, two months after exiting as Louis Vuitton’s men’s artistic director, and reuniting him with Beccari, who had worked with the English designer when he was the No. 2 executive at Vuitton.

The same sources said Jones would present his first collection for Dior Homme in June.

He joins a clutch of prominent designers at Dior, headlined by Maria Grazia Chiuri, artistic director of women’s haute couture, ready-to-wear and accessory collections, and Victoire de Castellane, its fine jewelry designer since 1998.

LVMH continues to flex its muscles in the burgeoning men’s fashion space, having lured Hedi Slimane back to the group to take over Céline and extend that 73-year-old brand into men’s wear for the first time.

The French luxury giant has also been investing heavily in Berluti, now under the design leadership of Haider Ackermann, and Loro Piana, embarking on a growth phase under a new chief executive.

Vuitton men’s wear will also attract attention and buzz when it discloses its designer change. Sources said the house has held discussions with Off-White’s Virgil Abloh, Lanvin’s Lucas Ossendrijver and candidates put forth by Nicolas Ghesquière, Vuitton’s artistic director of women’s collections.

With his streetwear credibility, 345,000 Instagram followers and loads of famous friends, Jones will be sure to shake up Dior Homme, whose image has remained largely tethered to the slim tailoring pioneered by Slimane and elaborated upon by Van Assche, who had been Slimane’s underling before rising to the top design post in 2007.

In a statement, Beccari thanked Van Assche “for contributing to the amazing growth of Dior Homme by creating an elegant and contemporary silhouette for men. He wrote an important chapter in the history of Dior Homme and played a key role in its development.ˮ

Van Assche thanked LVMH chairman and ceo Bernard Arnault “for the trust he placed in me,” along with “Sidney Toledano and Serge Brunschwig for their warm welcome at Dior and their continuous support during all those years of collaboration.”

After more than 20 years leading the Dior fashion house, Toledano in February became chairman and ceo of LVMH Fashion Group, which comprises brands including Céline, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Kenzo, Loewe and Emilio Pucci. Meanwhile, Brunschwig, who had been the No. 2 executive at Dior under Toledano and the head of Dior Homme, took up the management helm of Fendi, succeeding Beccari in one of the French conglomerate’s biggest management shuffles in years.

Van Assche was a popular, if low-key figure at Dior Homme, faithful to the founder’s penchant for nip-waisted silhouettes and floral inspiration, and to Slimane’s influential template of sleek suits and dark sportswear with a tinge of rock ’n’ roll and winks to skating culture.

He partnered with management to lead the brand even further upscale; extend its global reach with a range of fashion shows in Asia; and broaden the brand image with a range of celebrity pitchmen spanning from A$AP Rocky and Boy George to Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan.

In his statement, Van Assche said “it is with great emotion that I thank my team, my studio and the ateliers. Their support and their unique talent and ‘savoir-faire’ have made all my creations possible.ˮ

After 11 years as artistic director of Dior Homme, “Kris Van Assche will continue to express his talent and creativity within the LVMH Group. His next assignment will be announced at a later stage,” Dior added.

Van Assche’s next move could not immediately be learned.

He might be tempted to revive his signature label, which he shelved in 2015 after a 10-year run, citing challenging market conditions for small-scale, independent fashion brands.

“I feel the need to take a break and some distance to better think about how to develop my brand in the future,” he told WWD at the time.

The Belgian designer had shipped his signature collection to about 130 doors in 32 countries, with the business concentrated in Asia.

Known for its youthful tailoring and loads of athletic and workwear influences, the Kris Van Assche collection also spanned popular high-top sneakers and backpacks, the latter in collaboration with Eastpak.

A graduate of Antwerp’s Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Van Assche moved to Paris in 1998 and worked under Slimane at Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Homme and then Dior Homme.

In an interview last year as Dior celebrated its 70th anniversary and Van Assche a decade at the head of the brand, he said he evolved Slimane’s look “into a much cooler, more democratic and sporty” direction.

Closing his own label freed him to inject more of his personal affinity with streetwear into the Dior esthetic, bringing back a sense of youthful energy with show sets including a skatepark and a funfair.

Musing on his tenure at the brand last year, Van Assche said, “Sometimes people want to put the house of Dior and men’s wear at Dior in a box. Is it supposed to be just luxury, so it should be showing just impeccable suits? Or is it supposed to be this young, underground brand that I inherited 10 years ago with only fashion kids? And I always refused to choose. I think we should definitely enjoy being both.”
WWD.com

Time for Kim Jones I guess. How predictable this musical chair has become.

so i guess this means that maria grazia's contract won't be renewed when it ends, why else would he change from vuitton to dior.

PARIS, France — Kris Van Assche is stepping down as artistic director of Dior Homme after 11 years at the brand. Kim Jones, who exited his role as men’s artistic director at Louis Vuitton in January, is set to succeed Van Assche.

Jones’ appointment is the first big move by Pietro Beccari, the newly installed chairman and CEO of Christian Dior Couture, who joined the brand from Fendi in February. Jones will present his first collection for Dior Homme next June, during Paris men's fashion week.

"I am delighted to welcome Kim Jones at Dior Homme. He will benefit from the support of the teams and from the 'savoir-faire' of the Ateliers to create an elegant men's wardrobe both classic and anchored in contemporary culture. I am confident that he will continue to further develop Dior Homme on a global scale,” said Beccari. “I thank Kris Van Assche for contributing to the amazing growth of Dior Homme by creating an elegant and contemporary silhouette for men. He wrote an important chapter in the history of Dior Homme and played a key role in its development.”

"I am deeply honoured to join the house of Dior, a symbol of the ultimate elegance,” said Jones. “I would like to warmly thank Bernard Arnault and Pietro Beccari for their trust in giving me this incredible opportunity. I am committed to create a modern and innovative male silhouette built upon the unique legacy of the house.”

"After eleven years at Dior Homme, my mind and heart filled with experiences, I am leaving this beautiful house to pursue new challenges," said Van Assche. "I wish to thank Bernard Arnault for the trust he placed in me, Sidney Toledano and Serge Brunschwig for their warm welcome at Dior and their continuous support during all those years."

The likelihood of Van Assche's departure and the appointment of Jones was first reported in BoF earlier this month. The move comes soon after Beccari’s arrival, which follows the departure of long-time Dior chief Sidney Toledano, who moved into the role of LVMH Fashion Group chairman as part of a wider senior executive shuffle at the world’s largest luxury group. Dior Homme chief Serge Brunschwig recently left for Fendi, taking up Beccari's former role as chief executive of the Roman brand. The shuffle leaves Beccari in control of both the men’s and women’s side of the Dior label, a possible precursor to further integration at the brand.

In April 2017, LVMH took control of Christian Dior Couture in a $13 billion deal, simplifying a complex ownership structure whereby Dior was previously the parent company of the group. The move also enabled better coordination between Parfums Christian Dior, which was already owned by LVMH, and Dior’s haute couture, leather goods, shoes, and men’s and women’s ready-to-wear businesses, which were run completely separately.

While Dior does not break out revenues for its men’s business, Christian Dior Couture posted revenue of €43.7 billion last year, an increase of 11 percent over 2016; organic revenues grew 12 percent.

Known for his urban, minimalistic aesthetic, Van Assche trained at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Antwerp, before moving to Paris to work at Yves Saint Laurent under Hedi Slimane. He followed Slimane to Dior Homme in 2000, but left in 2004 to start his own menswear label, which was well-received and garnered much attention from the industry at large. In 2007, when Hedi Slimane departed Dior Homme, Van Assche succeeded his former mentor at the creative helm.

BoF

It was about time. Kris did a great job there, especially at following up to Slimane's blueprint, but sadly the last few years have been painful to watch. You could hear the pressure of the suits for him to be young & hip and it was just not working. Hopefully he'll get his brand back on.

If it's Kim coming in then great, hopefully he'll kick Maria out later on.

so i guess this means that maria grazia's contract won't be renewed when it ends, why else would he change from vuitton to dior.

If her Dior sells well in the next 2 years and comes with more positives review, she can be renewed...
I hope not but at the end of the day, money talks.

It's funny how the article mention " After 11 years as artistic director of Dior Homme, “Kris Van Assche will continue to express his talent and creativity within the LVMH Group. His next assignment will be announced at a later stage,” Dior added. "
Would that means he will have his brand again ? Or work with Hedi for the Celine's menswear ? Just a guess.

His A Magazine was great. I'd like to see him doing some media or publication for a change.

Maria Grazia Chiuri, Kris van Assche and Kim Jones.
I would never imagined those names related to the Dior Maison.

Please, wake me up when someone interesting, bold and talented get into the Dior conversation.

This is a nightmare.

What if Kris went to Vuitton? That's always an option because those talks are still up in the air.

I think Kris should just take a break now. A long break. Really, what does he have left to offer? I don't see any point in him doing Vuitton, which in the end is not so different from anything he already explored at Dior over the years.

I hope Dior would be finally put under one creative umbrella, but I don't think Kim is the right person for that. Maybe the menswear will be nice for a couple of seasons at least, unless they force him to do that same Zara crap Maria is doing.

^^
I really don’t see Kris doing Vuitton. Hopefully, Nicolas will suggest someone interesting and complimentary of his aesthetic.
The best thing ever would be a Japanese at the helm of Vuitton.

Kris, i don’t see in which brand he can reinvent himself. Maybe Kenzo?
Kenzo would be perfect because I feel like he is kinda obsessed with millenials and I think that with his crowd of celebrities and the price point of Kenzo, things could be wonderful.

But I don’t know anything about the Kenzo duo status.

I frankly don't see MGC going anywhere in the forseeable future, her Dior apparently is selling like never before and my guess is that, for the time being, the big heads couldn't care less about the tepid reviews her work has garnered so far.
That said, I can't forget how Frida Giannini's first few years at Gucci were marked by the same mix of commercial success and lack of support by the critics...then the commercial success gradually dwindled down and she got the boot in not time.

So sad, Kris doen't deserve this. This only confirms that the vulgar logomania is taking over Paris.

So sad, Kris doen't deserve this. This only confirms that the vulgar logomania is taking over Paris.
LV was a logomania brand, and I generally prefer jones’ logomtweaks to cheeseball stuff like HARDIOR

I remember KVA getting bad reception when he first started doing Dior Homme. I feel it was unfair because some of his early collections where quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah... I see Kris already ran away before Hedi's debut at Celine. :D Dior Homme has been like under constant life-sustaining treatment for 11 years with Kris. I think he knew, he could no longer keep it from dying and he probably did not want to be remembered as a designer under whom this brand died.

So now they could not make a more ******** decision and hired this Kim Jones who collaborates with working class brands like Supreme at Dior Homme? Oh, I can already see all that proletariat rushing to buy and hyping about Dior Homme that was once for people who had taste and appreciated quality, and not for nouveau riche...

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember KVA getting bad reception when he first started doing Dior Homme. I feel it was unfair because some of his early collections where quite good.

I think all designers have their hits and misses.
I have bought Dior Homme (not a lot, but yes) during his tenure, but am not a fan in general.

To me, his style was just everywhere, i remembered he started his first collection at DH doing wide pants and then presented a suiting collection the next and the rest? i honestly dont have much recollection...yet at the boutiques now the staples are some hedi inspired collections?
It then later tried to have some bling bling shark face and logos to hop onto the Gucci bandwagon.

My main grouse about him all throughout his career be it at DH especially or sometimes his own line is the liking to add unnecessary details that is not just not functional, but it doesnt even look good.

Sorry to KVA, but it is good he is leaving, DH deserves better.

More so than anything, I am actually quite excited anticipating Celine Mens VS Dior Homme now :wink:

So now they could not make a more ******** decision and hired this Kim Jones who collaborates with working class brands like Supreme at Dior Homme?

The supreme collaboration really ruined all his hard work. I feel so bad for him. Now what he has to deal with are eBay kids, and nouveau menswear critics with no willing to know what Jones achieved in sportswear.

Sadness. I need to borrow some teardrops from Balmain ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dm4048a
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->