Labels

fortezza

Reaction score
For as long as I can remember fashion was that if you didn't wear a certain label of clothing you weren't "in".

Thank goodness most of us don't care about labels, but about style and quality. But still the majority of the North American population would rather wear a t-shirt with a label's logo than just a plain white t-shirt.

Are you a victim of labels?

I am a victim of design and quality, yes. I buy designer goods as well as 2nd hand and Zara/H&M and similar. I'm a Prada addict above all; sometimes their quality isn't that great though, it's more for the design.

As far as logowear is concerned, I don't like it. I prefer clothes without visible labels. I have a pair of Prada Sport shoes that I really love, but every time I wear them I get self-conscious about the red stride peeping at the heel. Nasty. I won't buy shoes like that ever again.

It's very immature to judge people based on what kind of brands they wear.

I'm a victim of this to a certain extent...but not necessarily so that the label is seen. More often than not, I prefer to wear clothing that is plain, and has no wording/label on it. If it's high quality, that makes it all the better. To me, labels ruin the look, and offset the real purpose of wearing it.

I like clothing that is stylish and of good quality but not necessarily of a certain label. I generally buy clothes that don't even have the labels visibly showing. Labels should not be an issue!It shouldn't matter if your shirt is from Prada or Zara as long as your showing off your true style.

the new thing is that if you wear a visible label, you are 'out' fortezza...
even if this is Dior..

obvious label worship is so much on decline, but i guess the trendiest (hidden) label now must be E2, Lanvin, miu miu and Marni.
Even Balenciaga is considered banal..

personally i dont have money to waste to labels. only when i find them in vintage sales or bazaars..

I wouldn't call it label worship(mind you,I've only been on a designer shopping frenzy one time)but I find that there are certain designers and labels whom I appreciate and relate to(creativity,craft quirkiness) and when I do shop(be it a shop or ebay etc.),I tend to head straight to them first. But I know,beforehand,that there's already something more substantial besides their names,otherwise I wouldn't go to it at all.

Shopping and wearing something for pure label/designer immunity,I find it all silly and sort of blind faith. Just like someone said,just because its a high profile label like Prada doesn't necessarily stand for quality and craft. And by design,isn't that implied,meaning doesn't that include quality? I always assumed so,at least in my book it does :wink:

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 30th, 2003 - 2:09 am
Lena,

you mentioned this downfall of Balenciaga on another thread as well. I'm just curious: what tells you that Balenciaga is no longer exciting and insider? I think you've said that you live in Paris. Do Parisians consider Balenciaga to be over and done with?

Labelling products is as old as economy itself. I think Prada, Dior &c. have every right to put a visible label on their clothing. It's when the label is the focal point that I worry. Formal clothing shouldn't be labelled either, the quality should speak for itself.

Prince, I understand what you're saying and I agree to a certain extent. I can live with a visible label if it's discreet.

Anyway, all these labels can put logos all over, it's up to consumers whether they choose to buy the stuff or not...

Originally posted by chickonspeed+Nov 30th, 2003 - 4:30 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Nov 30th, 2003 - 4:30 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lena@Nov 30th, 2003 - 2:09 am
Lena,

you mentioned this downfall of Balenciaga on another thread as well. I'm just curious: what tells you that Balenciaga is no longer exciting and insider? I think you've said that you live in Paris. Do Parisians consider Balenciaga to be over and done with? [/b][/quote]
i dont live in Paris chick, but i visit very often.
From what i hear -and see- when there, it seems that since Gucci bought a big bunch of the Balenciaga group, French people started to avoid the brand both for wearing in parties & street, but also on editorial coverage, or representation at 'collete'-i know everyone snobish enough hates the boutique but still it is a major trend thermometer for global fashions.
Balenciaga still remains "hot-ish" for u.s. and the rest of europe -not for japan anymore from what i know- but it wont be long before the big bubble bursts out worldwide.

you are very wellcome chickonspeed
i appreciate your posts too :flower:

labels give the world of fashion 'reference'. whether its PRADA or H&M.
i shop for anything that i like and i find wearable. nonetheless, it is a known fact (and i studied it on comparing qualities) that more expensive labels are almost always of better quality i.e. the material/the knit is better. that also goes for jumpers for example. everyone would agree that a Ralph Lauren jumper is better than a Benetton (which i find horrible for quality.. they might have improved, who knows)
as for thr label being visible, i just looked inside my wardrobe (CHLOE, MARNI, MAttheW WILLIAMSON, ROZAE NICHOLS, PRADa, etc) and virtually NONE of them have got a visible label. all they might have is an obvious design which that fashion house came out with a specific season i.e. the 'CHLOE HORSE', the 'MATTHEW W BUTTERFLIES', the 'MARNI prints'. my Prada jumpers are cashmere but NO LABEL at ALL. proof that quality counts (but then again i got fabulous SILK jumpers from ZARA :P ) i cannot stand labels unless it is real subtle and looks cool paired down with a more urban look.
but having said all that, all my classic pieces are labels (hidden) and most of my trend pieces are H&M, ZARA etc.

and whether we wear them or not LABELS' influence on us is HUGE :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena+Nov 30th, 2003 - 10:07 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Nov 30th, 2003 - 10:07 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Nov 30th, 2003 - 4:30 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Lena
@Nov 30th, 2003 - 2:09 am

Lena,

you mentioned this downfall of Balenciaga on another thread as well. I'm just curious: what tells you that Balenciaga is no longer exciting and insider? I think you've said that you live in Paris. Do Parisians consider Balenciaga to be over and done with?
i dont live in Paris chick, but i visit very often.
From what i hear -and see- when there, it seems that since Gucci bought a big bunch of the Balenciaga group, French people started to avoid the brand both for wearing in parties & street, but also on editorial coverage, or representation at 'collete'-i know everyone snobish enough hates the boutique but still it is a major trend thermometer for global fashions.
Balenciaga still remains "hot-ish" for u.s. and the rest of europe -not for japan anymore from what i know- but it wont be long before the big bubble bursts out worldwide.[/b][/quote]
Lena,can you explain the overall feelings a little bit as to why they're not in support much anymore? I have my own presumptions and feelings,of course, but since you know a little bit more first-hand on the Paris side,I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on what they feel.

i think they dont support Baleenciaga because french somehow hate Gucci and the Italian fashion industry in general, could also be because of the labels over exposure that became a banality , but dont take my word for this scott :ninja:

My thoughts,exactly. What's more,to go from creative aesthetic as it were to a market commodity,somehow reels on people minds and feelings. Maybe they feel betrayed?

I don't understand the point about French hating Italians, Lena - Cristobal Balenciaga was a Spaniard who's company was based in Paris, no?

well itlaian fashion is much mroe comercial and corperate than french. i dount think its about not likeing fashionf rom anotehr contry.

about labels, I dount buyf rom labeles just ebcuas of teh albel i buyf rom them ebcuas I like tehre style and I liek the cloeths tehy make so i usually tend to buy from thous labels, but if is ee soem thing from anotehr label and i love it i would happyly buyt hat just teh same.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 30th, 2003 - 11:07 pm
I don't understand the point about French hating Italians, Lena - Cristobal Balenciaga was a Spaniard who's company was based in Paris, no?
well, dont take 'hate' literally dear prince.. its more of a betrial mood like scott said.

Balenciaga was founded by a Spaniard but the business was build in Paris with very little work done in Spain. The label was owned mainly by French companies until recently that it was taken by Gucci (italian company) only to return to French again in 2004 (ha) still i dont think Balenciaga will start selling just because the label will go under PPR . It is strange i know, but ask if French people buy ysl since the gucci deal.. French and Italians feel very strong about their national fashion houses, you could too if you were at their shoes, more than 2000 french workers ended up with no work when Gucci bought ysl..

what makes a label hot or not?
Dior is hot for some and not for others.
Ellie Kishimoto is hot for some, not for others, etc etc.

it depends on the cultural background, consumer stratification and personal taste. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->