Lanvin S/S 11 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by maxlinden, Oct 1, 2010.

1. mariemaud

mariemaud Active Member

I love it... reminds me of some of his earlier collections... lots of spark, less saturation. It is flirting with dangerous zones but remains extremely focused on twisted elegance. The long dress on Karlie was just an amazing vision to see, same goes with the finale... modern tale :heart:

2. Fatalefashion

Fatalefashion Active Member

Lanvin - Spring Summer 2011 - Full Show (Exclusive Video You Tube)

3. mackos

mackos Alluring

I've recently read in some article that quite a few girls couldn't walk in the shoes that had been originally designed for the runway show, so Alber decided it would be better to put some flats instead of having the girls suffering and tripping.

Does anybody have any more info about it?

4. therawpower

therawpower New Member

i reli love this collection, i just dun understand the group of black/brown girls idea

5. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

^i thought it a celebration of beauty and strength! it served as the perfect moment to close that show which really pushed forward the idea of the strong powerful woman. and between that moment and that lovely moment with karlie in the red parachute silk at the midpoint, he accomplished that resolutely.

[​IMG]

style.com

6. WilhelmF

WilhelmF Active Member

Indeed. I don't get the negative comments about that closing. I felt it was reinforcing a woman's power within unity (apart from leaving the closing spot to a beautiful group of black ladies). I didn't feel it racist or anything at all. On the contrary, I really think Alber wanted to reach all different kinds of women, to celebrate them.

7. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

^i cannot agree more. i do not recall charges of racism hurled toward dolce and gabbana when they made a similar statement to close one of their recent shows....

[​IMG]

style.com

8. robotcow

robotcow New Member

its kinda boring in my opinion D:

9. LANZO_358

LANZO_358 Active Member

I actually wrote a piece on the same issue not too long ago. I tried to cover as fairly and comprehensively as possible the reason (I think) that motivated the choice and why there may be tension and ambivalent feelings occurring as a result. That being said Alber is for me a genius! And still one of my favourite designers.

Disclaimer to Mods: This is in no way a self-promotion of my work but my contribution to what I consider ongoing discussion.

10. WilhelmF

WilhelmF Active Member

I strongly disagree and let me tell you why. If there is one designer who truly loves women, of ALL kinds, then that man is Alber Elbaz. He does it in the way that his designs have always women in mind, enhancing them. They are his source of inspiration and admiration.

This is not the first time his cast includes black women, this was already bout to happen at his show, trend or not. He has also showed them in a individual appearence. And shall we look back to SS07, when he let black model Ajuma Nasanyana close his show? I do not think he let a black model as the leftover of a cast. On the contrary, imo he wanted to close his show with a big statement, as I think it was what he was aiming to do this season as well. He celebrates women, not denigrade them.

Just my two cents :flower:

11. LANZO_358

LANZO_358 Active Member

^ Point taken WilhelmF :flower: but the focus of the post wasn't so much to dispute his love for women or lack thereof for black women but as you accurately stated to question or reveal "the statement" that he was trying to make by having these five black models close the show. Was it only celebratory? That is still the source of contention and confusion for many people.

Again you're right in noting that many black models have been featured in Elbaz's shows previously namely, Jeneil, Gaye, Kinee, Aminata among others but usually on an individual or minor basis - never en masse as was done in S/S 11...so again one questions the motive behind "the statement." Maybe someone close to Mr. Elbaz could ask him to clarify, the world would love to know. :smile:

Also when will 'ALL' kinds women be featured in a Lanvin campaign? :ninja:

12. WilhelmF

WilhelmF Active Member

nymag

See the rest of the article here.

13. LANZO_358

LANZO_358 Active Member

^^ Nice to see someone sharing my point of view. But why did it take 5 mths to write this article?