Lanvin S/S 11 Paris

I love it... reminds me of some of his earlier collections... lots of spark, less saturation. It is flirting with dangerous zones but remains extremely focused on twisted elegance. The long dress on Karlie was just an amazing vision to see, same goes with the finale... modern tale :heart:

I've recently read in some article that quite a few girls couldn't walk in the shoes that had been originally designed for the runway show, so Alber decided it would be better to put some flats instead of having the girls suffering and tripping.

Does anybody have any more info about it?

i reli love this collection, i just dun understand the group of black/brown girls idea

^i thought it a celebration of beauty and strength! it served as the perfect moment to close that show which really pushed forward the idea of the strong powerful woman. and between that moment and that lovely moment with karlie in the red parachute silk at the midpoint, he accomplished that resolutely.

00500m.jpg

style.com

Indeed. I don't get the negative comments about that closing. I felt it was reinforcing a woman's power within unity (apart from leaving the closing spot to a beautiful group of black ladies). I didn't feel it racist or anything at all. On the contrary, I really think Alber wanted to reach all different kinds of women, to celebrate them.

^i cannot agree more. i do not recall charges of racism hurled toward dolce and gabbana when they made a similar statement to close one of their recent shows....

00930m.jpg

style.com

i reli love this collection, i just dun understand the group of black/brown girls idea

I actually wrote a piece on the same issue not too long ago. I tried to cover as fairly and comprehensively as possible the reason (I think) that motivated the choice and why there may be tension and ambivalent feelings occurring as a result. That being said Alber is for me a genius! And still one of my favourite designers.

Lanvin's Fabulous Five: Iconic or racist?

by Ryo Stylin'

In what many are calling a landmark moment in fashion, Lanvin's designer, Alber Elbaz has used not just one black model in his Spring/Summer Paris fashion show but six! The noticeable trend of black models doing exceptionally well this season continued even to cities such Paris and Milan which have often been criticised for being too white. This particular Lanvin ''moment'' boasted 3 models from the Caribbean (including Jamaica's own Jeneil Williams) and 2 from Africa - which is quite an improvement over previous seasons where there'd be just the token girl-du-jour . This season also, in typical Lanvin fashion, the clothes were exquisite but with a little bit of extra toughness and no attention to detail was spared in the presentation department. The apparent theme was opposites co-existing: hard lines were juxtaposed with soft billowy shapes, towering heels with practical flats, modern minimalism and old glamour, purposeful structure with fanciful Alber draping and finally, the theme of black and white. This final theme is where I had the problem though. In retrospect, I'm unresolved about how the black models were used in the show. In fact, I question whether Alber was making a carefully orchestrated stand against racism in fashion - as many seem to think; supporting existing racist norms and admissions; or oblivious to both these possible inferences and simply presenting on a theme of contrasts.

Like most, when I saw the single photo of the F5 @ Lanvin, I admit that I was beside myself. "5 black girls at Lanvin! That has to be some sort of a record," I thought. I could hardly wait to see the collection in its entirety to see how the fierce beauties fitted in. However when I did I was most offended and confused. Included in this finale were a few of my faves like the aforementioned Jeneil; Ajak and Ataui who both hail from Sudan and the beautiful french debutante, Melodie Monrose - which should have made me happy. But at the time, all I saw was a group of beautiful black girls relegated to the back (of the bus) like second-class citizens - not making individual or heralded appearances but lumped together en masse like human coal; or better yet, faceless, nameless 'savages'; and wearing what could be considered 'designer Osnaburgs.' What is ironic is that the finale or closing walk is highly coveted territory. And for a black girl to do so for an iconic brand such as Lanvin is long overdue and well-meaning for many people, so again I should've felt great no? Well for for me it was quite the opposite. This finale represented racial stratification and stereotyping to the highest level. It reminded me of an era when blacks were powerless and without voice - only fit to serve and who were always to walk a few steps behind their white (in this case: all the other models) and mulatto (in this case: Joan Smalls) "betters" - in clothes which were very often not their own but hand-me-downs or rations from these same lighter complected superiors. They did not look like "girlfriends" going out for a night on the town - as one dear friend of mine suggested. To me they looked angry. I will agree that they looked fierce - but the same word can be used in describing savages. :P

But growing up Jamaican (reading extensively helps too) one learns that 'every story ha tree side'. Side a, side b and the truth. So I started to question what would compel a usually brilliant designer like Elbaz to make such a move. Was it that he is really racist and this for him was just another case of succumbing to the pressures of affirmative action on the runway, i.e. using the black woman as a filler but in what could be argued as still another subservient position. Or was this in reality a promotion - a deliberate and carefully orchestrated act (as some people seem to think) of Elbaz exalting the black woman to a position of prominence by by having her close his show - hopefully a sign of better and more racially inclusive (fashion) days come? Or, was it purely accidental – a talented designer oblivious to the intimations of his choices and whose only motive was to simply present a wonderful collection of opposites: hard and soft, high and low, modern minimalism and old glamour, purposeful structure and fanciful Alber draping and finally black and white; co-existing in harmony to produce one of the best and most talked-about collections at this year’s Spring/Summer shows?.

So I ask the question: "Iconic or racist?" You be the judge.
Disclaimer to Mods: This is in no way a self-promotion of my work but my contribution to what I consider ongoing discussion.

I strongly disagree and let me tell you why. If there is one designer who truly loves women, of ALL kinds, then that man is Alber Elbaz. He does it in the way that his designs have always women in mind, enhancing them. They are his source of inspiration and admiration.

This is not the first time his cast includes black women, this was already bout to happen at his show, trend or not. He has also showed them in a individual appearence. And shall we look back to SS07, when he let black model Ajuma Nasanyana close his show? I do not think he let a black model as the leftover of a cast. On the contrary, imo he wanted to close his show with a big statement, as I think it was what he was aiming to do this season as well. He celebrates women, not denigrade them.

Just my two cents :flower:

^ Point taken WilhelmF :flower: but the focus of the post wasn't so much to dispute his love for women or lack thereof for black women but as you accurately stated to question or reveal "the statement" that he was trying to make by having these five black models close the show. Was it only celebratory? That is still the source of contention and confusion for many people.

Again you're right in noting that many black models have been featured in Elbaz's shows previously namely, Jeneil, Gaye, Kinee, Aminata among others but usually on an individual or minor basis - never en masse as was done in S/S 11...so again one questions the motive behind "the statement." Maybe someone close to Mr. Elbaz could ask him to clarify, the world would love to know. :smile:

Also when will 'ALL' kinds women be featured in a Lanvin campaign? :ninja:

Why Fashion Keeps Tripping Over Race
By Robin Givhan

The guests at the Lanvin show in Paris had all been waiting more than an hour for the presentation to begin, and they were getting restless. This tardiness was out of character for Alber Elbaz, widely considered to be one of the most talented designers around—as well as among the most hospitable. He refrains from trussing models into unforgiving silhouettes that prohibit walking and make the consumption of anything more caloric than Saltines a wild-eyed risk.

It would turn out that the reason for the delay of his spring 2011 show was a matter of shoes. Elbaz’s original choreography had the models sashaying down a concrete walkway, about the length of a New York City block, wearing perilous stilettos. Apparently, during rehearsals, the skyscraper heels brought some of the models to tears. So Elbaz dispatched staff to retrieve kinder footwear. The result was a tardy show, but a beautiful one, with virtually half the models—an ethnically diverse lot—in flats.

This was all typical Elbaz. So it was with curiosity and confusion that I, one of a handful of black fashion editors, tried to absorb his show’s odd finale and the disorienting audience reaction. In a presentation that had (philosophically) been about female power and (aesthetically) about layering, the final moments were punctuated by a group of black models all dressed in tropical fern prints. The flora had nothing to do with any other element in the show. And frankly, the clothes were hardly showstoppers. But that didn’t seem to matter, because when the five models marched down the runway en masse—the five black models—large sections of the audience broke into applause for the first and only time during the presentation.

They were cheering the black women, but not because they had performed dramatic runway pyrotechnics. They were cheering the women for the great accomplishment of simply being black, which, one might argue, in an industry that remains stubbornly homogeneous in many respects, is a feat worth getting excited about. In fact, when the black model Jourdan Dunn appeared in 2008 in what had been up until then a relentlessly all-white Prada show, I marveled in my blog: “Black girl walking!” It was the first time in more than a decade that I recalled seeing a black model in one of Miuccia Prada’s shows. My enthusiasm and dismay were a throwback to the sixties, when, I am told, black folks called up friends and family to exclaim whenever a person of color was spotted on television. Whoop-whoop! Black people on TV! Black people on TV!

But was the group of five a political statement? An attempt at consciousness-raising? What was Elbaz thinking? And, more important, what did it say about the fashion industry?

According to Elbaz, the decision was purely aesthetic—a solution to a creative conundrum. He adored the prints but knew they posed a jarring juxtaposition with the rest of the collection. A more disciplined designer, he said, would simply have edited them out. So, in his search for a way to display them that would make sense, he hit upon the idea of using the black models. They would form a visual addendum to the main collection. They would be separate. But equal.

“I was trained by Geoffrey Beene and Yves Saint Laurent,” Elbaz told me at the time. “They both worked with African girls, black girls. Not because it was a political statement, but because they were beautiful girls.”

In short, Elbaz’s decision had nothing to do with race. And yet, it had everything to do with it.

“As soon as you put five girls together as a group—African-American or Asian—it does make a statement: a political statement,” says André Leon Talley, contributing editor at Vogue and a judge on America’s Next Top Model. “We’re supposed to be living in a postracial, nonracial world. We’re just not there.”
nymag

See the rest of the article here.

^^ Nice to see someone sharing my point of view. But why did it take 5 mths to write this article?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->