Laura Kim & Fernando Garcia - Desginers, Co-Creative Directors of Oscar de la Renta

Don't have a big business? What are you talking about, its an amazing business, that turns great profit! No way should they close it! How easy to just say; "close it", how about hundreds of people working there? We all know they can't just move on to J.Mendel.etc How about an established client base, and carved out retail market that has been working like a clock work for the last 40 YEARS. A house like Oscar's is Iconic, and should not be closed because the new creative director quits.

No one EVER asked Peter to "reinvent an old house" , but to continue the legacy, and demand for the Oscar look, which his clients, and plenty of casual ones, still desire. And maybe, even, evolve it. So this is more about getting the right person to step in, and do good collections for that particular market. Someone who won't bail after only two years. And of course that is easier said than done, brands like this earned their place at the table, and should go on as long as there is a demand for it. And this is so far from being anywhere near the "Halston mess"......

When i said big business, it was compared to others big american brands. ODLR may be a "big" brand, it's like Carolina Herrera, they have an human size business.
It's not just about profits but about the integrity of designers. Obviously, today we will see less and less designers staying at fashion houses for more than a decade.
ODLR has created a very particular relationship with his clientele. I'm one of those who believe that some fashion houses (in a ideal world) should close.

I know that Copping wasn't there to reinvent and i didn't mentionned that at all. But now that Oscar's heir left, i'm afraid that they will reinvent the house.

We all know that they'll not close the business and hopefully, they'll find someone to replace Copping. Juan Carlos Obando seems the closest to me in terms of aesthetic.

Jhon Galliano should take over, and leave that Margiela mess behind

If they got the intent of keep going (and I think they will), they should try call Zac Posen...

I would love to see Alber here, it would be perfect. They could really pull off a Gucci for this house.

Don't have a big business? What are you talking about, its an amazing business, that turns great profit! No way should they close it! How easy to just say; "close it", how about hundreds of people working there?

This was my first thought as well. It is easy to say that a house should be closed based on "lofty" ideas of legacy and respect for the namesake when it does not directly affect your income.

OLDR may not be as revered at tfs like Prada or Chanel, but I'd be surprised to ever hear that it is not a very profitable business.

If they got the intent of keep going (and I think they will), they should try call Zac Posen...

no thank you!

zac posen sucks...

:yuk:

de la renta is not my cup of tea...
but the quality and timelessness of the dresses is really at the top tier of that particular niche market...
i've used the clothes for projects and they really are the best option out there in their category...

zac posen can't even come close...
and i've held the pieces and tried them side by side...

the de la renta stuff is beyond compare...
the posen stuff looks overblown and desperate...
it's kinda crazy...
simply worlds apart...

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, Francisco Costa is the obvious choice. He has the history with the house, he can navigate the world of New York society, he can manage a big team at an established brand, and he's a fantastic designer. And perhaps, being another latin designer (though Brazillian, not Dominican) the longstanding customer might be more inclined to accept him as Oscar's successor.

To me, Francisco Costa is the obvious choice. He has the history with the house, he can navigate the world of New York society, he can manage a big team at an established brand, and he's a fantastic designer. And perhaps, being another latin designer (though Brazillian, not Dominican) the longstanding customer might be more inclined to accept him as Oscar's successor.

It's funny i didn't think about him but he is a perfect choice as you said. It will be a new fresh challenge for him.
He can do it. And for the first time in a long time, he will design clothes that are not only relevant in the redcarpet...

I have no idea who they are lol.

Ok, well i do now that I've read the article. Fitting i guess.. at least Alber won't be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like a great choice, a bit à la Valentino.
They know the brand, the history, the atelier and the clientele. I hope they'll bring some of the edge of their Monse label (i didn't know anything about it).

They can make it work. I've seen taffeta, pink, intricate constructions & ball gowns in their own collections...SO OSCAR!

I wish them the best.

Didn't know, interesting for sure. Feels like they are going to do well.

Hopefully they'll really make an impact and move the house forward. Copping did nothing for the house. He was a promising candidate at first but it wasn't a good fit.

It seems like a great choice, a bit à la Valentino.
They know the brand, the history, the atelier and the clientele. I hope they'll bring some of the edge of their Monse label (i didn't know anything about it).

They can make it work. I've seen taffeta, pink, intricate constructions & ball gowns in their own collections...SO OSCAR!

I wish them the best.

Sincerely, i didn't know them and the Label too :blush:
But hope they will do their best and will make their work in traditions of Oscar de la Renta.

I really like what they're doing with Monse and I hope they can bring some of that innovation and push over to ODLR. Good luck to them!

what's shocking is that they weren't given the role in the first place after so many years at the company...

looks like, combined, they have all the celeb contacts and the design chops needed for the job...

starting their own brand was brave and brilliant...
good for them!

ODLR is lucky they decided to go back~

I'm incredibly excited to see what they'll do with ODLR. Before finding out that they originally worked for/with Oscar I would never have guessed it based on their designs for Monse, but the clothes I've shot/seen from them are beautifully made and have a nice balance between a sort of European sensibility and American ease, which I suppose was always at the heart of Oscar's work as well.

what's shocking is that they weren't given the role in the first place after so many years at the company...

I had the same thought. Why, if it has worked out for years , let them go to take on someone completely different? They seem perfect for the job.

^ I have a feeling it was a combination of wanting a bigger name who was already known as a creative director (in this case Copping) and a lack of faith that Kim and Fernandez were capable enough to head up a large brand.

The assumption was likely that Copping's following of clients, editors, buyers and all of that from Nina Ricci would automatically follow him to de la Renta.

Monse and Oscar de la Renta to Combine Fall 2017 Shows

The collections will be shown on the runway consecutively, with no break, on Monday, February 13.

Designers Laura Kim and Fernando Garcia, co-creative directors of both Monse and Oscar de la Renta, will debut their Fall 2017 collections for the two brands together — one after the other, with Monse leading — during New York Fashion Week at 6.30pm ET on Monday, February 13. The runway show will take place at IMG’s Skylight Clarkson Square venue with a set designed by the New York-based Stefan Beckman Studio.

The venue is a surprising choice for Oscar de la Renta, which typically shows at a more buttoned-up location such as the Morgan Library, the Park Avenue Armory or in its own offices. But the decision to show the collections consecutively, with no break, is truly unorthodox.

For one, it makes it that much harder for the brands to sit apart in the marketplace. It also puts more pressure on the design team to have both collections ready on the same day.

But Garcia argues it's easier — and more cost-effective — to stage one event than two, while also allowing the designers to show editors and buyers how the two labels are distinct yet complement each other. (While Oscar de la Renta's aesthetic will certainly evolve under Kim and Garcia’s watch, it seems sure to remain the dressed-up antidote to Monse’s flashier, rebellious quality). There will also be a "reveal factor" before the first Oscar de la Renta look hits the catwalk in order to clearly delineate the lines, and to underscore the elder brand's gravity.

“We wanted to attack it head on: Can we do two different collections that have an identity on their own and be brave enough to show them together?" Garcia said. "Having them be consecutive does not mean that there is necessarily a blending of the ideas. There’s going to be different styling for each show, and it’s going to be very apparent where the [change] happens. The clothes are very different."

According to Oscar de la Renta chief executive Alex Bolen, the thinking was driven not only by an intention to shake up the increasingly staid runway-show format, but also to convey that the two labels are part of the same brand family. "We talk about brands DNAs, and I think that, on some level, if Fernando is part of the Monse DNA and part of the Oscar DNA, it’s impossible for them to be totally separate," he said. "And guess what? I don’t think they need to be totally separate. It’s going to be a happy day for me when I see a real customer with an Oscar blouse and a Monse skirt.”

The scheduling also provides, intentionally or not, a bit of relief to editors and buyers with unpleasantly packed schedules. "It’s one less show that somebody has to run across town for," Bolen added.

But the show also marks a homecoming for Monse. In September, it was announced that Kim and Garcia would be rejoining Oscar de la Renta as co-creative directors — and showing their first collection in February 2017 — after departing from their positions as studio director and senior designer, respectively, more than a year earlier in order to launch Monse, their own line. During the period of separation, Monse gained quite a bit of recognition on the red carpet and was picked up by several prominent retailers, including Net-a-Porter.

In February 2016, Kim also began working for Oscar de la Renta rival Carolina Herrera as senior vice president of design, while Garcia was hired by the same brand as a consultant. However, in September it was announced that the duo would replace Oscar de la Renta’s former creative director Peter Copping, whose work did not resonate with the label's loyal customers.

As a part of Kim and Garcia’s return to Oscar de la Renta, the house agreed to invest, both financially and operationally, in the still-sizzling Monse label. And while ready-to-wear remains the bread-and-butter for both brands, Bolen has aspirations to increase their marketshare in other categories. “On the Oscar runway, we are very focused on the total look. Look closely not just at the clothes, but at the jewelry and the shoes and the bags," he said. "We have been stronger in ready-to-wear and jewelry than we have been, for example, in shoes and bags. Those are important to us, and we think that we have interesting things to say."

While there is an air of “bringing the gang back together” to the forthcoming show, the last few months have been bumpy for the designers and their current and former employers. In December 2016, Carolina Herrera filed a lawsuit against Kim for allegedly violating a non-compete agreement when Oscar de la Renta re-hired her and Garcia as co-creative directors. All parties reached a settlement in early January 2017, but the complication underscored the longtime rivalry — albeit an outwardly friendly one — between the two houses. Bolen declined to comment further on the lawsuit, only to say, “I have no comment on any of that. We are focused on the future."

BY LAUREN SHERMAN
JANUARY 19, 2017
BUSINESSOFFASHION.COM

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->