Long Dresses S/S 07

SweetLove

Reaction score
So I know mini's have been all the rage for the past say...4 seasons. However, I found and fell in love with an ankle length jersey knit(light weight) print dress....and well, as unfashionable as it sounds the print is so fabulous that I bought it. Is it a sin to wear it or should I immediately get it cropped to at least knee length. Being that prints are such a summer/spring thing I thought I could get away with it not being the same thing. The cut is quite flattering and sexy on the top so it is not quite a mu-mu. What are your opinions on long dresses?!? In...out...gross...funky? LoL, I'd love some fashionista opinions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately not totally out. I've seen quite a few places calling maxi-dresses the new trend.
I'd style it with flat sandals.

I think long dresses are totally do-able!!! I'm tall (almost 5'10) and I love the scarf type ones with thin straps and cute flat sandals...as long as it isn't a long shift (read: no shape) I think you're fine:blush:

I love long dresses in summer...though I do have to get them taken in sometimes as I am not that tall :wink:

Long dresses are OUT as far as I am concerned. Hem them to at least the knee.

Now if we're talking prom or what not, then anything that is not floor-length is unacceptable.

I am quite short, so I don't think I could pull it off. But I like it.

Couldn't care less if they are in or out...they've been a favorite my whole life. They look great in the summer with flat sandals, and in the winter with flat boots and a cardi. :heart:

I think Mila Jovovitch has a bunch this summer for Mango.

Long dresses are totally IN for summer.. Id say go for it :D

MJ.jpg

Oasismaxi.jpg

Net a porter.com

Oasis.com

I've seen quite a few, Mango has some:
long.jpglong2.jpg
long3.jpglong4.jpg

I really like long dresses but I'm afraid I'm too short

Last edited by a moderator:
I love love love this idea. I definitely am going to start looking for some. I have one asian/hawaiian inspired one. I want to start wearing it again very soon. I think the way to go is vintage. Or there are some Milla for MNG dresses that are pretty long that are really cute. I say yes.

While being tall-ish (5'8), I know how long dresses look good on my height, but I think they mostly look too formal or just drab. On top of that, short sleeve or bare shoulders, but the legs are totally covered in summer? Isn't that the same as mini skirt + ugg boots? Unbalanced? Who would want to drag a long dress with more fabrics in hot summer?

Sorry, I am just not convinced.

I love long dresses but it's really difficult to find ones that look flattering on me- i'm tiny (5'0). Does anyone have any advice for finding a long dress that won't overwhelm my small frame?

xoxo, lauren

Have them altered to fit you. Or go vintage I would say.

I'm wearing a vintage maxi dress today. I finally had the guts to wear it out. It's a halter so I wore a shirt under, with some sandals to keep it very lax. I love how it feels on my legs, I feel so comfortable.

omg maxi dresses and long dresses are every were atm .. in fact in some shops they even outnumber the minis .. ive seen the trend on the street more then minis as the maxi is so much more do'able .. i say go for it :smile:

Who cares if it's in or out, just wear whatever you like.

moving this to trendspotting...

even target has a slew of these maxi dresses-and it doesn't get much more mainstream than that...
so i'd say that there is some sort of trend going on there...

*although i don't see them on the street- so it may just be one huge flop...

:P

when it comes to brands and the store this is def in.. but as softgrey mentioned they're not that common on the streets..
I think it's easier for most people to wear long skirts than long dresses

this DKNY SS07 dress is really popular in eds and magazines, I think mango has a 'copy'
00210m.jpg

style.com

actually- i think that entire dkny collection has been copied all over the place...
:lol:...

I can't imagine long dresses ever going out of fashion. :heart: It's so nice to have a lot of flowing fabric in summer or winter. In fact, I think every skirt length has its place in the grand scheme of things. I do wish there were more full length coats being done though...

Long dresses are definately in, and are goregeous! You can't get much more feminine than a long pretty dress.

Personally, I would advise against the super-shapeless ones, or the really, obnoxiously huge dresses, just becuase they aren't very practical or flattering.

Quite frankly, if you like it, and it fits and looks nice, just wear it. Who cares about trends?

(*sigh* I wish I were tall enough for a long summer dress......but they all make me look so much shorter and, well, frumpy. Yuck. :( )

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mooncholly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->