L'Uomo Vogue May / June 2010 : Samuel Eto'o by Pierpaolo Ferrari

It doesn't look very innovative or fashion forward. It reminds me of GQ or French magazine 'L'Optimum'. Boring. And the cover is awful.

Andrés Iniesta

He is "the" midfielder of the Spanish team and of Barcelona. Andres Iniesta, 26, has learned to think like a team thanks to his training in the "cantera blaugrana", the club's incubator, which he joined at the age of 12. The explosion came in 2004/05 when Frank Rijkaard, the former AC Milan player become coach, was sitting on Barca's bench. Now he is preparing for the World Cup, which he says will be a unique experience, both in terms of the calibre of the players present and for the adrenaline produced in such a short time.

"Spain is a great team, as well as a group that is very close-knit and successful, as demonstrated by the European and World Cup qualifiers. But the World Cup is something else: even the smallest details matter here", he says.

The unforgettable moment of his career to date has been the goal scored against Chelsea in the semi-finals of the Champions League of 2008-09: "It has marked me for ever, not only because of the result, but for the emotions I felt and still feel".

(In the picture: Andrés Iniesta. Pants e hoody, Nike; Giorgio Armani jacket)

Federico Sarica, from L'Uomo Vogue, May 2010 (n. 411), p. 156 - 161
vogue.it

Per Krøldrup

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/05/per-kroeldrup
Before arriving at Fiorentina in 2006, he played regularly after 2004 as a central defender in the Danish national team.

In the World Cup, the team Per Krøldrup, born in 1979 at Farsø fears most is Holland, but he hopes to repeat the feats of 1986, when, after suffering a goal from Uruguay in Mexico City, the Danes succeeding in winning 6 to 1. Going beyond the group stage would already be a great result for the team, and their hope is to highlight the team as a whole.

"One of the favourites for the World Cup must be Argentina. When we played against Barcelona early in the season I had serious difficulties in marking Lionel Messi, but I hope to have to meet him again in South Africa; it would be a great achievement. Among the favourites for the title, I would also include Spain, for the group, and England because its coach, Capello is certainly a winner".

Participating in this competition is a challenge to be faced with courage and determination: "The World Cup will test the organisational capacity of South Africa and provide visibility for the whole continent". But before leaving, another very important appointment awaits him: he will be getting married in his country of origin on May 22nd.

(In the picture: Fay jacket, trousers, belt and stole, Gianfranco Ferré, Borsalino hat. Fashion editor, Sarah Grittini. With thanks to A.C.F. Fiorentina)

Riccardo Vannetti, from L'Uomo Vogue, May 2010 (n. 411), p. 176 - 177
vogue.it

Abdelkader Ghezzal

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/05/abdelkader-ghezzal
Algeria
"I started playing football in my club, Vaulx-en-Velin, which was my neighbourhood club in the suburbs of Lyons, then I continued in the youth squad of the city's leading team, without ever breaking through into the major league. But my real jump in quality was the arrival in Crotone, in the youthful Italian league. Not knowing the language and your football, I played two seasons in series C, but for the 2007-08 tournament, again in Crotone, I managed to score 20 goals". This is how Siena's centre forward, the team he joined in 2008, sums up his career.

Born to Algerian parents in France, had to choose his nationality as regards his football. He opted for Algeria to make his family happy, and with his heart, and soon he was invited into the national team and began clocking up goals in his new shirt. On 18 November 2009 came the big surprise: Algeria beat Egypt 1 to 0 and qualified for South Africa 2010. "Unlike the other African teams, our group has no great international champions and this has meant that the coach has concentrated more on the organisation of the game than on its individual elements.
"What might have been a disadvantage for us has proved a great piece of luck", says Ghezzal. "We can achieve a great result at this World Cup: going beyond the first round would be quite something".

(In the picture: John Richmond dress; Xacus shirt; Cesare Paciotti shoes. Sarah Grittini fashion editor )

Riccardo Vannetti, from L'Uomo Vogue, May/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 176 - 178
vogue.it

Klaas Jan Huntelaar

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-u...ar-?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Holland
Nicknamed "The Hunter" for his exceptional eye for a goal, the young Dutch striker (27 year next August) has struggled to carve out his place in his team when he left Real Madrid for AC Milan in August last year. "It was more than anything else a problem of language", minimises Klaas-Jan: "my team-mates would speak and I couldn't understand anything. But now it's a lot better. I like Italian football, the passion of the people. And I like Milan; it's like Amsterdam. Madrid was too big for me".

He has twice won the top scorer title in Holland: in the 2005-06 season (33 goals in 31 matches), and in the 2007-08 one (33 goals in 34 matches).

Often compared to Marco van Basten ("one of my idols, along with Bergkamp and Kluivert"), the Dutch player will be participating in the World Cup for the first time. He says: "Playing in their national team is the dream of every footballer. I am proud and also very curious to find out what awaits us. Certainly, compared to the Europeans we'll be a long way from home... My ideal final? Holland versus England. The top scorer? Fernando Torres or David Villa. But the important thing is to be there and to play well. The Netherlands has a strong team, but will face teams that are equally well prepared. It won't be easy. Exciting, though, certainly."

(In the picture: Suit and shirt, Dolce & Gabbana; sash Tino Cosma, Nike Air Max 90. Fashion editor Sarah Grittini)

Roberta Rotta, from L'Uomo Vogue, May/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 190 - 191
vogue.it

Ezequiel Lavezzi

Argentina
He has just had his 25th birthday (May 3), and he's nicknamed "El pocho" (an affectionate nickname that is untranslatable into English) ever since - as a child in Argentina - he cultivated the dream of becoming a professional footballer.

Endowed with fine feet and a fine instinct as a striker, he has realised his dream with the blue shirt of Napoli. There, the playmaker is the public's idol, which sees in him a little heir to the great Diego Armando Maradona, to the point that a local crooner has dedicated a song to him. And it is thanks to Argentina's coach, Maradona, that Lavezzi has joined the national team for the World Cup in South Africa.

With Diego says Ezequiel, "relations are excellent; there is a great feeling between us". He adds: "Playing the World Cup would be wonderful". Given the high level of the Argentina team, it will not be easy for him to carve out a space for himself, especially because in terms of physical and technical skills, his place in the field is already reserved for Lionel Messi, the current world number one. He has no jealousy or envy, however, against Leo; indeed, Lavezzi is keen to stress that: "Even though we don't get to talk much, we are good friends".

(In the picture: White tie and shirt, John Richmond; official chronograph watch SSC Napoli Limited Edition. Fashion editor Sarah Grittini. Thanks to Società Sportiva Calcio Napoli)

Cesare Alemanni, from L'Uomo Vogue, May/June 2010 (n. 411), p.
194 - 195
vogue.it

The German strikers

The new Germany has a thirst for a return match. It wants the World Cup and is preparing to play its aces at the South African tournament.

As happens everywhere, sport is a mirror of society and the country, even in football, has gone well beyond unification. Now it is a multicultural melting pot, and, in particular, the national team's striker has given new sheen to the team. In Mario Gomez' veins, Spanish blood also runs; Lukas Podolski and Miroslaw Klose were born in Poland, and the champion of a thousand battles, Michael Ballack, was born and raised in East Germany.

Just before the final squad is picked, however, the potential winning poker has been reduced to a threesome, because Michael is injured and will be out of the running for at least two months. Knowing the German temperament, however, the team as whole will not be greatly affected.

(In the èicture: Lukas Podolski)

Pierfrancesco Archetti, from L'Uomo Vogue, May/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 204 - 207
vogue.it

terrible cover, but I might like the contents. Never would've expected to see huntelaar in a Vogue magazine. Still feeling a bit weird about that.

Bastian Schweinsteiger

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/06/schweinsteiger
The last time his country, Germany, won a World Cup, he was only six years old. That was in 1990, and perhaps Bastian Schweinsteiger did not even think he would become a football player. He was a rising star in skiing, regularly racing and winning races. It was on the snow that he built up the explosive muscles that made him today's champion.

1.83 metres tall (6 ft) high and weighing a little less than 80 kg (12.5 stones), he is powerful but dynamic, capable of sudden changes in speed. And he has a nose for goals: wearing the shirt of Germany, the Bayern Munich midfielder has 70 appearances and 20 goals to his credit; which is pretty much what one would expect on the cv of a striker.

His target? To win the final of the World Cup that was snatched from it four years ago by Italy.

Andrea Corti, from L'Uomo Vogue, May/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 232 - 235
vogue.it

Alberto Gilardino

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/06/alberto-gilardino
First Parma and then AC Milan, but it was Fiorentina that relaunched him.

Just look at the figures: one of this season's best Italian centre-forwards, a striker who has shown his worth both through brains and acrobatics. Now he will be at the World Cup in South Africa as a title holder: in the last edition he made five appearances and scored one goal in the match against the United States.

Alberto Gilardino considers it a great privilege to play for the "Azzurri", nevertheless, he feels a strong sense of responsibility towards the entire country: "We footballers bear a great burden of responsibility towards young players and football fans. Given the huge numbers of enthusiasts who watch our matches, it is very important to set a good example, a constructive model that will encourage young people to practice sports with the true spirit for which it stands. I am always highly aware of the fact that I have been a very lucky person, in so much as I love my job and it gives me great satisfaction. The football field is an endless source of inspiration for me, but it is also a "stage" and we have to appear on it with a sense of responsibility, conveying a positive attitude. Like my colleagues, I too have misbehaved under certain circumstances, but it is important to admit your mistakes, and battle on, always trying to do better".

(In the picture: Alberto Gilardino. Coat and pants, John Richmond; jacket Gucci; sash Tino Cosma; shoes Tod's)

Riccardo Vannetti, from L'Uomo Vogue, Maj/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 208 - 210
vogue.it

Riccardo Montolivo

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/06/riccardo-montolivo
Humility and loyalty are key words for this young ACF Fiorentina captain

«On the field I'm like I am in everyday life: loyal and correct. It's thanks to the values and education my parents knew how to give me since my childhood that I've had the chance to become a professional soccer player».

At twenty five years of age, the new captain of Fiorentina is destined to become the mainstay of the team. His teammates wanted him as leader and he feels the full import of the role. He never lets go; he wants to be an example not only to his fellow team players but also to the young fans that cheer him from the stands or follow him on TV.

«This role on the field has given me the strength to continue growing, both from a sporting and human point of view. I feel I'm in the best situation to give one hundred per cent, always, and to keep concentrated for the entire 90 minutes, for me and above all for my team».

(In the picture: Riccardo Montolivo. Jacket and shirt, Z Zegna; pants Gianfranco Ferré; shoes Tod's; cylinder Borsalino. Sarah Grittini fashion editor. Thank to A.C.F. Fiorentina)

Riccardo Vannetti, from L'Uomo Vogue, Maj/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 212 - 213
vogue.it

Simone Perrotta

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/06/simone-perrotta
An English-born Azzurro, one of Rome's great strengths.

Simone Perrotta, born in 1977, is the type of player that any trainer would wish for. His often unpredictable movements are a guarantee of the most important element in football: surprise. With his skill in breaking the adversary's tactics, and being a reigning world champion, he is preparing for the forthcoming World Cup in South Africa. Tempering his anticipation with just the right blend of tranquillity and an inevitable touch of almost superstitious mystery: "Even though I am not sure that I will be chosen" he says " you always approach such an event with enthusiasm. You try to prepare as best you can, with equanimity, without stress".

(In the picture: Simone Perrotta. Frac Luigi Bianchi Mantova; t-shirt and shoes; Lotto)

Vincenzo Martorella, from L'Uomo Vogue, Maj/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 210 - 212
vogue.it

Gianluca Zambrotta

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/06/gianluca-zambrotta
A veteran since 2006, he knows what counts

Gianluca Zambrotta has already won a World Championship: Germany, 2006. But if you think he's the superstitious and gullible type, you're very wrong.

Full-back defender for Milan, he's not a great scorer: about thirty goals in all, and only two in the national league, though he has made 92 appearances. Today he's been called to defend the title conquered four years ago. How is he preparing for South Africa? «I don't have superstitious rituals. I don't believe in them. The best way to get ready for the event is to return home for a few days, at the end of the Championship, spend time with family and friends, rest a little and if necessary, deal with any small physical problems. However that doesn't mean loafing for an entire week and losing rhythm, especially in my case. I'm beginning to get on you know».

(In the picture: Gianluca Zambrotta. Jacket and shirt, Dolce & Gabbana; pochette Tino Cosma)

Giuliano Di Caro, from L'Uomo Vogue, May/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 216 - 218
vogue.it

Domenico Criscito

At 16 years of age he was already playing for Genoa, and now at 23 he is living the dream in South Africa

It was clear very early that his talent was rare. Domenico Criscito, from the Campania town of Cercola, was only 16 years old when he began playing in Series B with Genoa. It was 2003. In the years that followed he played for Genoa and Juventus, and then returned permanently to play for the team in which he made his debut, becoming one of the most loved soccer players among fans.

The strategy he employs on the field to enter into the hearts of Genoese fans is the following: "Having a strong team attachment and, every Sunday, being 100% committed, always, and fighting to the very end for the team". In his career that team and passion has often changed: he has played for the Azzurri.

This is because Criscito has played with all young National teams, in the Under 21 from 2006, in the Olympic nationals at the Peking games and finally, since last summer, in Lippi's national team.

(In the picture: Domenico Criscito. Frac Adidas ObyO/J Scott; pants Adidas Originals; shoes Ransom by Adidas Originals)

Donato Ramani, from L'Uomo Vogue, May/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 215 - 216
vogue.it

Claudio Marchisio

The talented Juventus player is a gamble for the Azzurri coach

Sometimes they compare him to Tardelli: "It's a comparison that flatters and honours me. And I hope to have such an extraordinary career". It's not difficult, spurred by these words and in World Cup year, to recall Spain 1982 and the legendary cry of that champion which is so memorable to us.

For the moment Claudio Marchisio, midfielder for Juve and La Nazionale, prefers to find technical similarities with that great, past player: "His on-field flexibility, his personality and tenacity, and his never giving up, we certainly have these things in common". He's not thinking too much about the Cup in South Africa: "We're busy with several season commitments, and I started to live this adventure right from the qualifying round. It's as though the dream became a reality only very gradually".

A low profile, serious and balanced: these qualities are perhaps surprising in a 24-year old who has already reached the apex of a soccer career, but they are a constant in both his personal and professional life.

(In the picture: Claudio Marchisio. Jacket and shoes, Nike; shirt, pants, hat, tie, papillon, Dolce & Gabbana; watch Baume & Mercier. Thank to teatro regio, Turin)

Donato Ramani, from L'Uomo Vogue, May/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 118 - 119
vogue.it

Giorgio Chiellini

The Juventus centre-back has all the qualities of his illustrious predecessors.

Every since he was a boy Giorgio Chiellini has had a passion for playing ball. Except that, at the outset, his aspiration was not for chequered black and white, but for orange. "It's true, I loved basketball, but I was too small. And since my brother and my father were both football enthusiasts, I took a few shots at it: I was about five years old". And that is how football bewitched him too, and with great results.

Born in Pisa in 1984, he grew up in Livorno, which is where he had what he himself describes as "the first great joy of my career: when the team made it into serie A". Then, he played for Fiorentina, just for one season. Since 2005, he has been a pillar of Juventus, one of the most respected centre-backs: in every single match he plays Chiellini is one of those footballers who possesses all the qualities in that particular position that every champion should have. In his own words: "Skill in marking, the ability to foresee and understand the forwards' movements. And above all, full concentration sustained throughout the match".

(In the picture: Suit and shirt, DSquared2; shoes and balloon, Puma. Sarah Grittini fashion editor)

Donato Ramani, from L'Uomo Vogue, May/June 2010 (n. 411), p. 213 - 215
vogue.it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndresKlayr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->