Luxury Goods Soar In China

they are planning to build the largest airport in the world
it will be bigger than heathrow

Originally posted by AlexN@Dec 1 2004, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure how much better the transition from "riding around in bicycles on dirt paved roads wearing little mao suits" to label-hungry fashion trend victims really is... :innocent: :wink:
[snapback]445531[/snapback]​

That is true! :lol: I was actually more referring to some people's misconception of China still being stuck in the 1950's and not having any technological, social or economic advances.

Originally posted by cocomonkey@Dec 2 2004, 07:38 PM
That is true! :lol: I was actually more referring to some people's misconception of China still being stuck in the 1950's and not having any technological, social or economic advances.
[snapback]448267[/snapback]​
:wink: I know ya were. I was just havin' fun. Cheers! :flower:

Originally posted by cocomonkey@Dec 3 2004, 09:38 AM
[snapback]448267[/snapback]​

maybe not in the 50's but some parts of china is stuck.. in the 70's maybe?
theres no hot water in college dorms...
and im talking about one of china's best universities. yes. in shanghai.

Originally posted by meowmix@Dec 2 2004, 02:42 AM
i've spent like 20 years around these "tastes" and i'm just rather irked by it. i've seen it in all of my mothers magazines growing up and in my family members and i'm just ready for the "good taste" to seep in... all the big business mistresses and their obsession with whatever is IN, the snobbery... it really pisses me off.
[snapback]446054[/snapback]​

totally totally totally agree with you..
i go to nanjingxilu and see all these old/rich chinese couples shopping in luxury stores... they really have no taste. (most of them at least)
they spend so much money yet manage to look so bad..

and after going to other places in china,
i realized that people in shanghai are actually extremely well-dressed compared to the rest of china...yet its going to take a while for them to have "good taste"

Originally posted by eunhasoo999@Dec 6 2004, 01:52 PM
totally totally totally agree with you..
i go to nanjingxilu and see all these old/rich chinese couples shopping in luxury stores... they really have no taste. (most of them at least)
they spend so much money yet manage to look so bad..

and after going to other places in china,
i realized that people in shanghai are actually extremely well-dressed compared to the rest of china...yet its going to take a while for them to have "good taste"
[snapback]453487[/snapback]​
And if it's anything like the US, they'll never have good taste.

I come from Shanghai China. It's glad to see a thread talking about fashin in China.
It's sad but still have to say it's truth that most people shopping in luxury shops with very bad taste, just like you have mentioned above. I believe it's a process and ppl will get wiser in fashion. :smile:

Oh yes, Nowadays China is not like other ppl think still in 50's or 70's. Actually Shanghai is really a modern city just like Hongkong and Tokyo.. the rest of China is still looking like undeveloped..that's because chinese gov pay their most attentions in Shanghai - the first city in China.

a bit off topic but pls bearing me: Dior Homme boutique will open in Shanghai very soon. (maybe feb.2005) which is the 4th boutique in Aisa. (other three all in japan). so exciting~

Last but not least, next time if anybody goes to shanghai, pls stop by I.T in XinTianDi where you will find most of fashion labels such as dior homme, hemlut lang, miumiu, ann dem, dirk for reasonable price! It's because the price has been adjusted according to chinese income which means same cloth but cheaper than other countries OR you maight find a long-time-seeking piece here.

cheers.

shruru said:
Last but not least, next time if anybody goes to shanghai, pls stop by I.T in XinTianDi where you will find most of fashion labels such as dior homme, hemlut lang, miumiu, ann dem, dirk for reasonable price! It's because the price has been adjusted according to chinese income which means same cloth but cheaper than other countries OR you maight find a long-time-seeking piece here.

cheers.
I think no one is doubting the ability of China to put itself on the world map. In terms of Fashion, IT and Joyce has the utmost fashionable label you will find anywhere in the world, even hard to find labels, and pieces, some you would simply see it in Asia and not anywhere else in the world, not even Paris and Milan.

On top of that you have LV, Dior Homme, Hermes and etc.. who are fashion powerhouses scrambling to get in on a piece of this market.

Besides fashion, Shanghai will have the densest population in the world, biggest airport in the world as mentioned before, fastest bullet train, tallest building(surpass Taipei 101) in the world, basically best, biggest of everything.. yeah we get it....

BUT my issue with it is why is China still trying so hard when China has already proved itself to the world that they will surpass anyone in the world. IMHO.. I think Shanghai already outpace NYC(sorry NYC people.. no offence to you all!) but when we really think hard where are all the money goes to???? Prada, LVMH, H&M all these big fashion houses...

Anywayz... I digress

I agree with faust about the "illusory" comment. Coming from Hong Kong, I witness pretty much the part of China that is leading this label-slave mentality movement...what bothers me most is not the fact that these people are only out to buy the top labels, but that they buy the clothes but can NOT carry them with any flair whatsoever...it's like they're just wearing the labels on their body without making a statement of their personal style. I don't even find them elegant, sophisticated or stylish when they wear those clothes. The Hong Kong celebrities are the worst when it comes to this IMO, there are few exceptions but for the most part it looks very tacky; fashion gets tiring very fast over there.

this is what my geography teacher said would happen about 2 years ago look like he might have been right

shruru said:

cheers.

:woot: I always thought that the price of designer clothing in mainland China would be jacked up a lot higher than prices in Hong Kong...now that I learn the clothes are actually cheaper, this is GREAT news! Also I'm delighted to hear Dior Homme is opening in Shanghai early this year, so I can go there when I visit Shanghai this summer...fantastic fantastic news!

BTW how do the prices of Dior Homme in SHanghai compare to the prices of DH in the US?

I have been to shanghai a year ago, but i didn't see the price is adjusted in order to fit in the people's income...

my dad had comment the same pair of shoes in hong kong is 30% cheaper than in shanghai!~ dued to the high import tax policy in china... there's no way that the price in shanghai would cheaper than in hong kong (no import tax on clothing) also, it doesn't make sense that people from china came a long way to Hong Kong to shop... if they could buy the same LV bag for a cheaper price in their city.

far long ago, i've read an article that a clothing company did not adjust the price even the euros had inflated alot in a week. but i have never heard company would try to lower the price in order to fit in the lower personal income country...

Last edited by a moderator:
panda said:
I have been to shanghai a year ago, but i didn't see the price is adjusted in order to fit in the people's income...

my dad had comment the same pair of shoes in hong kong is 30% cheaper than in shanghai!~ dued to the high import tax policy in china... there's no way that the price in shanghai would cheaper than in hong kong (no import tax on clothing) also, it doesn't make sense that people from china came a long way to Hong Kong to shop... if they could buy the same LV bag for a cheaper price in their city.

far long ago, i've read an article that a clothing company did not adjust the price even the euros had inflated alot in a week. but i have never heard company would try to lower the price in order to fit in the lower personal income country...

hmm...yeah that's what i thought. I was kinda unsure when I read prices were lower in China for designer clothes...because if they really are then why do hundreds of thousands of mainland Chinese cross the border to Hong Kong every day for "Zi You Heng"?

Edit: Prices in Hong Kong as of now are still insane...their so called "End of season sales" are pitiful...i was talking to my parents last night and apparently there's a Dior Homme corduroy blazer that cost almost $3000...and that's just the blazer! (I don't recall seeing this item in NY though, so maybe someone could clarify). The DH jeans didn't go on sale, price is still at about $550 USD. The cords I bought were MUCh cheaper in the states, since the HK sale price is still well over $300.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fade to Black said:
hmm...yeah that's what i thought. I was kinda unsure when I read prices were lower in China for designer clothes...because if they really are then why do hundreds of thousands of mainland Chinese cross the border to Hong Kong every day for "Zi You Heng"?

Edit: Prices in Hong Kong as of now are still insane...their so called "End of season sales" are pitiful...i was talking to my parents last night and apparently there's a Dior Homme corduroy blazer that cost almost $3000...and that's just the blazer! (I don't recall seeing this item in NY though, so maybe someone could clarify). The DH jeans didn't go on sale, price is still at about $550 USD. The cords I bought were MUCh cheaper in the states, since the HK sale price is still well over $300.

yea I dont think its true that china has lower price for designer/high-end items.

example. I remember writing this in some other post, but marc jacobs multipocket bag - 1200USD at their boutique on Nanjing Xi Rd., 900USD in states, goes on sale for 600-700USD during thanksgiving .
so prices are DEFINITELY higher in china.
another one. when i went to HK and came back to shanghai during the national holiday, i saw about 8-10 women carrying brand-new LVs they bought from HK... insane.

South korea and Hongkong (it varies.. depends on the brand/designer) have the lowest price in asia, IMO.:lol:

i think thailand and malasiya got the lowest price all over the asia... because they got no import tax, and the lower living standard (low salary, storage expenses...)

this is my relatives told me when they went there before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->