Maison Martin Margiela x H&M

MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA is the latest luxury label to team up with H&M to create a one-off collection, according to market sources. The Swedish high street chain is yet to confirm the reports.
"We never comment on rumours," an H&M Spokesperson told WWD.
SEE THE LATEST MARGIELA SHOW
Known for its take on masculine vs feminine, as well as its deconstructed silhouettes, the French label will follow in the footsteps of Versace, Marni, Lanvin, Karl Lagerfeld and Stella McCartney. The fashion house was founded by Belgian design Martin Margiela in 1989, but it was confirmed in October 2009 that he had left the brand. Although both Raf Simons and Haider Ackermann were rumoured to suceed him, no successor was ever named.

Vogue.co.uk

No, this must be a dream or something like that.
Im actualy laughing, MMM for H&M? I dont know if he can do commercial clothes.
In a way Im super happy but Im not sure how this will turn out.
Lets see...

So it's just the label and not Margiela himself, right? Can't say that sounds exciting to me :unsure:

I am laughing really hard right now. Seriously. Also they have a diffusion line AND a collaboration with opening ceremony, so Im wondering why they are allowed to do this, contractually. Anyway, lets just wait and see.

Margiela doesn't design for the house any longer.

In retrospect this doesn't seem all that surprising, due to Diesel owning the brand, they are far more commercial, but I would never of guessed this would happen.

This will definitely be one I will be queuing up for, for sure.

I'm so torn about this. In a way i'm like 'oh hell no, that's enough renzo rosso' and on ther other im all excited and can't wait to see it. even though i know it will be most certainly disappointing.

as if they haven't undermined and disrespected the label enough already....now they're jumping on the H&M/designer collab. bandwagon. but i can't be surprised with renzo. this is what he wanted MMM to be all along,and i highly suspect that's why margiela ultimately left.

Without Margiela designing the news doesn't have the same effect on me. Still I can't wait to see how it will turn out.

Really? I had to do a double take. I'm not too impressed with the concept, but I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

That is probably the strangest thing I've read all day. No thanks.

so fed up with the elitism surrounding margiela, the industry has changed a lot since margiela himself started his brand and in order to stay afloat business changes had to be made..
margiela had to know what he was getting himself into when he sold his company to diesel, they're not some non-profit organisation.. money thus changes had to be made.

so don't blame diesel for commercializing margiela, but margiela himself for selling out.

what? is this serious? why H&M? just why? after big name like Lanvin, Versace, Marni, and now MMM? the only i know about the MMM collection is just the famous L'Incognito Sunglasses..

so fed up with the elitism surrounding margiela, the industry has changed a lot since margiela himself started his brand and in order to stay afloat business changes had to be made..
margiela had to know what he was getting himself into when he sold his company to diesel, they're not some non-profit organisation.. money thus changes had to be made.

so don't blame diesel for commercializing margiela, but margiela himself for selling out.

i'm assuming that was directed at me,yes?

for one,yes the industry has changed a lot since margiela started this...in 1987. but margiela was always margiela....even up till his departure. he himself as well as his label garnered a very distinct reputation for being uncompromisingly esoteric and idiosyncratic. rosso didn't change that when he signed up nor did margiela flinch at all in his spirit when the fashion world got a bit tough.

so why now all of sudden are they exploiting the label to commercial commodities in this "masstige",as some have dubbed it? i just think it's sad that for all the qualities this label represented for a long time....it's now playing into what margiela always played against.....homogenization.

why couldn't rosso just use diesel as the collaborative?

Last edited by a moderator:
For me this falls into the same realms as the CDG collection. It wasn't particularly commercial - yes there were of course pieces that were, but a lot of it was actually still very CDG. The same may well happen here, if H&M are confident enough to allow MMM to do as they wish with it.

Margiela collections are too 'commercial' since he left(I would call it unadvisedly) so I'm sure this will have the same character.

So sad, but I'm still looking forward to it because it was something to expect, since 'commercial' is Renzo's goal. It will be better than Versace tho... :D

but the difference between CdG and MMM is that was not only rei's decision to make but she also does do commercial diffusion collections,like Play et al. however,here,this not some designer choosing to do so but a mere corporatist hiding behind the label.

another point i'd like to make too is that....why is this necessary? most high-street places already filter MMM's approach through to the masses as is......how will this be that special or unique?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->